1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP or DS?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Rob20, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Just interested to see who's got one, (or both), whether you've imporeted one or are considering it. Or will you wait til March fo the uk's release. Which do you feel has the potential for the most interesting/fun games etc.? :)

(please, no console bashing though. I'm interested in why you like the DS or PSP either, rather than why you don't like one or the other).

2. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Well i pre-ordered my PSP at amazon @£182 inc. delivery. Delivery is estimated to be 17th March :D i have never considered a handheld before but the PSP looks a more grown up product than the DS. I am 27 and can't see myself carrying around a DS. My friends and I all think the PSP has it beat for spec and features (mp3 music, UMD movies etc as well as much graphically better games) And there's the big screen that the DS lacks, i'm sure 2 screens would suit some games but 1 big screen is the way to go in my book. I am sure that the DS will have a following but Nintendo must be very worried aboiut the war Sony is bringing to them in the handheld sector.

3. London Town

London Town

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Looking at the systems side by side (someone posted a pic on another forum) there is purly one winner, and thats the PSP, it really does make the DS look like a cheapo system....If it was'nt for the silly import prices at the mo, then I would have one now, as all the games are going to be region free :)

I just can't warrent paying £250-300 !!

Impy

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I will probably pick up a PSP in America if I can get hold of one. The exchange rate is really good at the moment and will mean a big saving on the UK Price.

5. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I'm gonna go for the DS as its a lot more interesting looking machine (that can also play mp2 & movies), I generally dont care what a machine looks like as my Mac at work looks lovely but its crap :)

It all depends on what you want at the end of the day.

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    After seeing your avatar, I can see your a ninty fan boy!

I have both machines now, and the PSP is superior in many ways. Still I do love my wee DS and as soon as they release more than N64 rehashes, and some decent non pokemon games ill start playing it again!

7. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    So I'm a fanboy because i have a Boo as my avatar? Nice one brother

8. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Well now, what a witty come back!
    All I can say to that is Pika chu and princess peach!

Im a little to old for that sort of mince!

Give me Ridge Racer over Pikachu any day!

9. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Were was this witty come back you speak of? I wasnt aware I wrote anything of the kind.

10. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Can we get back on topic? Was trying to avoid arguments. The term fanboy was derogatory though, even if meant in jest.

For the guy that has both, could you post any pictures? how do the screens compare, brightness, detail and so forth. The DS' main screen looks tiny compared to teh PSP's. Do many games use the 2nd screen effectively, and is the touch screen useful? Personally I'm not convinced the dual screen, lower touch screen etc is more than just a short term gimmick rather than an amazing new control method. Still, I could well be wrong. Probably am. :)

11. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I'm not arguing with anyone, but someone is trying to argue with me over something (what that is I don't know)

Anyway, Ive heard that the screens on both are very good with the PSPs being larger and wider obviously. Many good things have been said about the touch screen so far but it is too early to tell what use will be made of it, Spiderman 2 is an example of poor use for instance. Overall I think it would be worth a wait until next year if you are unsure and you can see what comes out for either system, me personally am going for a DS as I don't need/want another playstation.

12. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I think they are being aimed at totally different markets. PSP is defo a big boys toy, the kids will want Pokemon, Mario and such like. I wonder who plays handheld consoles the most these days? Kids or Adults. I remember when the Atari Lynx came out, that was a boys toy and that got out sold by a kiddies monocrome gameboy. It will certainly be a interesting battle.

13. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Do you think any conclusions can be drawn from the early sales figures? Personally I don't but there are Nintendo fanboys out there claimng that Nintendo and teh DS are winning so far. Even though the PSP sold out on day one and stock is going to be extremely limited. Surely a fairer comparison can only be drawn when there are no supply issues.

14. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I dont think you can say the DS and PSP are aimed at different markets. In the US they will retail at $149 and $199 respectively. Not enough price difference bearing in mind the vast superiority of the Sony system around £20 in our money.

And then there is the Sony Playstation brand and the "Must have" feel the PSP has. Adults like us will buy it but the kids will also want it. How many adults are going to want to buy a DS ?

I cant stand Sony gaming systems and thought the PS2 as a console was awful but I am going to buy the PSP. The way I see it If they can win me over Nintendo have major problems.

At the end of the day the PSP hasnt been launched in the US yet the DS has. As the US is by far the biggest market for Video games we wont know who is winning until they go head to head next year. As the current dominant market force you would expect the DS to make far higher sales but if the PSP take a decent share of the market I am sure the alarm bells will start ringing at Nintendo. The only thing Ninty can sell these days is handhelds.

Coupled with the complete failure of the Gamecube its worry times for Nintendo. A while back it was suggested that MS might try and buy them for the Games and devloper library and a way into the important Japanese market. I think thats a definate possbility if the DS dosnt do the business.

15. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    that would probably be a good thing

16. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Owning both a GC and XBox, it would be great if they combined for the next gen. Would certainly give the PS3 a run for it's money. Imagine if Microsoft focused on the hardware, and Nintendo on the software. You'd have a powerful machine, with not only Nintendo exclusives but decent 3rd party support. What would be missing? :)

17. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    It has been talked of for a while. I think they are just waiting for Nintendo to become significantly weakened personally. If Nintendo try and launch another console it will be the end of them I reckon. They should concentrate on trying to preserve their dominance in the handheld market.

The Gamecube was such a flop they are now at the stage that Sega was with the Dreamcast when it comes to releasing their next console.

It dosnt matter how good the hardware is if retail and third party developers has lost faith in the brand. It has become clear with the gamecube that Nintendo are now at that point unfortunately.

MS have been busy buying assets from Ninty for a while (Rare for example)

Dont think Sony would be happy if MS tried it. Wonder who they would rather be owned by MS or Sony ? I am guessing Sony.

18. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I doubt Sony could afford Nintendo

19. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Unless I'm mistaken, I thought we were talking about Microsoft buying out Nintendo. They could certainly afford to. :)

20. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I reckon so

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Do Sony really need Nintendo in terms of hardware development. It's more a case of do Nintendo need Sony? I would say very much so! It makes perfect business sense for Nintendo to release it's games on the PS3 where they will sell around 10 times the amount that they sell now and reach a wider & more varied audience.

It makes perfect sense for Ninty to wrap up hardware development (outside of handhelds) and focus on games as that's what they do best. Consoles are loss leaders anyway so they'd save a fortune in console development & production costs & sell loads more games!

I would say that M$ need Ninty a lot more than Sony do though as Sony have a much bigger market share than M$ in the younger gamer department. Ninty on XBox2 would make their machine more attractive to kids as well as closing the gap on Sony.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out but the only thing that seems certain to me after the N64 and the Gamecube, is that Nintendo's future is in games development. They will go down the path that Sega have chosen and I think that will be a good thing.

22. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    this thread has gone horribly off topic :)

23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    :D indeed I think it did threaten to be on topic at one stage around post 1 but it has rather turned into a strange what will happen to Nintendo thread. Anyway both the DS and PSP look great and are clearly aimed at different markets.

The DS looks about as kiddie as you can get with it's 1980's LCD toy styling (Game & Watch) and will become the thing to have in the playground, replacing the GBASP. Some adults, mainly die hard Ninty fans will buy them but the vast bulk of sales will go to the 8-16 age group IMO.

The PSP looks sleek, stylish & cool and will sell to a much wider age group. Older kids will probably prefer it due to it's technical superiority and it's PS branding. Adults will also love it for it's multi function abilities (Movies, MP3, Games etc) and it's non toy like styling.

I personally think that Nintendo's grip on the Handheld market will be severly diminished by the PSP though. The only age group that Ninty will really have to themselves IMO are the younger children (say 8-12 age group). You also have to look where all of the disposable income is and that's the people in their 20's & 30's.

24. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Somone asked about how the DS compares to the PSP. Ill try to answer if I can.

Hardware wise, I think the DS is more plished than the PSP.

Simple things like the battery cover on the PSP being difficult to close, the D pad feeling cheap and making a squeeking noise and the options on the system not being as good as they should be.

The DS doesnt suffer from any of this. Nintendo always assure us of the highest quality and they always deliver. Im a bit dissapointed at sony for giving us a "cheap" PSP.

However, on the software front, where it really matters, the PSP is better.

So far from what ive seen the PSP offers a more immersive experience and I think thats partly bcoz of the power of the PSP and bcoz of the huge screen.
    It is well lit with 4 different light settings. (3 while using battery, 4 while plugged in)
    Thats not to say that the DS isnt well lit, bcoz it is. It just doesnt have any settings for the light. Only on or off.

Speakers. DS rules here by far. The stereo sound is good. PSP, cant even see the speakers so dont bother with them. Just use a good pair of headphones, then you get good sound.

Someone also asked about the DS dual screen. It may look gimmicky, but it is actually good fun and a very clever controll system. Some of the games that are out need the stylus/touch screen to work and they work well.

While the DS focuses on game play and entertainment for all ages, the PSP focuses on raw power razzle dazzle graphics and a huge screen. The fact that movies and music sound and look good also helps sony's case. Theres a demo disk in the box that shows some amazing video clips. The quality of the video is the same as mpeg 2 DVD.

25. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
  26. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I have a US import DS and will certainly pick up a PSP when it's released in the UK. The DS is a fantastic machine and the PSP looks great as well. As far as I can see they both have their pros and cons.

I do wonder about watching movies though. Who the hell is going to buy a second copy of a film on UMD and if I fancy listening to some MP3's I'd rather have an ipod in my pocket. Sod all this convergence tech, I want portable gaming! I don't want to run out of battery in the middle of playing GTA3 just because I watched Carry on Camping earlier in the day. It's llike mobile phones - I spend so long messing around with games, vodafone live and the camera that when it comes to making an important call I'm out of juice!!

27. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    On the off-topicness I doubt that Nintendo would ever be bought out by MS, MS is not regarded very highly in Japan and I doubt they would want to damage their home turf reputation.

As far as PSP or DS goes, I am currently sticking with my GBA :) I love the retro SNES feel and don't feel any current need to upgrade.

I will wait to see what titles come out, if they start releasing lots of Square-Enix or Treasure stuff on the PSP I would most probably end up swinging that way, however that would mean it would take about 20 battery charges just to complete most of their game :p

28. djsat2

djsat2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with captain H on the point of UMD movies, what a stupid idea. The only moves we will get will be from Sony/Columbia anyway. If Sony were gonna use a disk based format wouldnt it have been better to go with their existing minidisks, theyre pretty high capacity enough for console and small too. Although personally the idea of a disk drive on hand held console isnt that attractive, its gotta suck the juice from the battery way more than a cart. and over time with wear and tear there will probably be vibrations etc.

29. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    UMD is not the only option for films on the PSP ;) you can actually download films onto it by all accounts :) and if the quality is like watching films on my p900 i will be a happy camper.

30. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    From Silverback's link "And while the lurid Mario DS stands out from the screen with painfully colourful screens, the graphics remain distinctly N64-esque. The Vaseline-coated look has been replaced but chunky textures still abound. If the PSP does indeed live up to the visual gymnastics we've seen from it so far, the DS will be quickly optically eclipsed by its Sony foe."

That is the kicker for me.

If the DS had NGC graphics It would be a no-brainer for me. But with the PSP displaying allegedly near perfect PS2 graphics, I would opt for the PSP every time. The idea of using it as a walkman as well is very enticing. Especially if it is possible to listen to your own music while playing games! :thumbsup: