1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP or DS?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by AML, Jul 25, 2004.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    wrong section but ill post it here anyway!

So, the time draws nearer for the next generation of hardware. Here in Japan (thats where i live) the PSP and DS are coming this winter, probably around Xmas, so now im thinking, which one? or both!?

Of course i want both but i have a feeling sony wont be selling the PSP for less than 50.000 yen (about 500 dollars or 250 squids)

It may seem like a lot , but the PSP is more than just a game system, its a PDA, MP3 (or atrac 3 if sony has their way) player and it features wi-fi for online/multyplayer action.

The DS seems cheaper, but a bit too similar to the Advance and the screens are tiny compared to the PSP.
    The build looks cheaper and it will probably be targeted towards kids, but who can ignore Nintendo? I certainly wont be and Ill probably end up geting the DS first with a copy of Mario 64!

Waht will you be doing when the time comes?

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    So, the time draws nearer for the next generation of hardware. Here in Japan (thats where i live) the PSP and DS are coming this winter, probably around Xmas, so now im thinking, which one? or both!?

Of course i want both but i have a feeling sony wont be selling the PSP for less than 50.000 yen (about 500 dollars or 250 squids)

It may seem like a lot , but the PSP is more than just a game system, its a PDA, MP3 (or atrac 3 if sony has their way) player and it features wi-fi for online/multyplayer action.

The DS seems cheaper, but a bit too similar to the Advance and the screens are tiny compared to the PSP.
    The build looks cheaper and it will probably be targeted towards kids, but who can ignore Nintendo? I certainly wont be and Ill probably end up geting the DS first with a copy of Mario 64!

Waht will you be doing when the time comes?

3. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ill probably be going with the PSP, just so i can play games on a massive screen, organize my day and then listen some mp3's.

ive survived without a nintendo hand-held so far, it just seems too much of a gimmick, but if they are at a decent price then who knows.
    but the PSP is alot higher on my wanted list

:)

4. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'll go for the DS because it isn't made by Sony, because its a more focused product, because it'll play GBA games, because........loads of reasons but mostly because it isn't a Sony, which will always be a good reason for me.

Paul

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Don't really bother with mobile gaming as I rarely use public transport and that's probably the only time i'd use a handheld.

I'd probably go for the PSP though as it seems more powerful and more versitile.

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    I would have to say DS, being able to still play GBA games and seeing the huge potential in having two screens for portable gaming. One for actions, the other for maps/inventories/different views/unit stats etc. would be extremely useful.

Of course if you are not a big GBA user it most probably wouldn't be too much of a big deal.

Still as far as handhelds go, Nintendo really are the kings, I watch the PSP with interest, but tbh for handhelds big graphics doesn't really mean anything. The screens are usually that small that you will be squinting to see any detail and the best handheld games have big blocky graphics. Not forgetting the battery power needed to power large LCDs and big processors will likely mean that battery time will be fairly low, you need at least 10 hours of battery life to make it viable.

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't Sony admit that the battery life for the PSP would be somewhere around 2 hours? Heck, that won't get me to and from work without a recharge.

If I was going to pick one up, I'd either go for a Nintendo DS, or a Gameboy Advance. (since the price will surely drop when the DS is released) Sony's offering looks like it's going to be an over-expensive toy. But, I get a lot of reading done on the train, so maybe that's a good thing.

8. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    DS for me.. I have a smal pile of GBA games to play on it as well...

Matt

9. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Some of the best games of the last 5 years have been on the GBA IMO :) Advance Wars, Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission some superb games.

10. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    PSP easily, far bigger screen and functionality. Also do u really want 2 small screen in a DS rather than jst one big one?

11. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    May sound strange but yes, handheld gaming really lends itself well to strategy games, adventure games, RPGs. You can solve a lot of clutter on the screen by having a secondary screen for all the stats/maps/info.

Also the clam shell design is a must, it is so much easier to carry when you can just flip it over and protect your screen and it then is also half the size.

I think Sony are losing the plot over their handheld and are not paying attention to what is actually really useful in a handheld. If it is true that battery power will be 2 hours, then the PSP will be dead in the water, that simply isn't long enough.

12. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Yes I do believe that may not be quite long enough so am sure they will adjust that in the final spec. As for two small vs. one big screen, it has to be one big screen for me-it's a no brainer IMO.

13. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    DS for me, I remember the game gear. :)

14. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats the gamegear got to do with the DS?
    :confused:

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    The game gear was class - shame you needed to leave the house with a jumbo pack of batteries though!

Regarding Sony, i'm sure they won't make a useless product - what would be the point as noone would buy it? Sony's previous track record when it comes to consumer electronics has been first rate - invented the walkman, dominate the console market, make superb TV's etc. I've bought several Sony products in the past and have always been impressed by them.

The DS looks good and I much prefer the flip top design (ala game & watch). If Sony's machine is too big or eats to many batteries then it will be useless as a handheld and the DS may rule supreme, if not then i'd go for the Sony!

16. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    how exactly is it a gimmick ?

beause ninty are doing some thing new and different its not a gimmick, its a money maker !
    trust me Sony and microsoft will be doing exactly the same in a couple years just like always

Ds all the way for me

17. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Apart from the fact I'd not buy a Sony product (did I mention that already) I've actually got more into the GBA Games, to the extent of getting a Game Boy Player for my cube. I've also stoped playing Metriod Prime (GC) infavour of Metriod Fusion (GBA) and I can therefore see the DS product position sitting well the Nintendos current range. Prior to my purchase of a GBA SP in the W H Smiths sales I had dismissed this as nothing more than an overpriced toy, £85 for a handheld, no way. However, after a few months of ownership I would actually pay the asking price for a replacement should mine get damaged. But longevity of GBA games now comes in the shape of the DS - I'm looking forward to its launch. :clap:

Paul

PS. why was this thread moved out of mobile gaming?

18. Kamui

Kamui
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PSP for me and then the new GBA thats coming out sorry but I feel like the DS is a bit of a filler until the next GBA, so Nintendo can put a dent in Sony's sales, I prefer the look of the PSP and graphically it will be superior as well as how versatile it is, I even heard Square Enix have put FF VII:Advent Children on UMD format.

Before anybody calls me a Sony fanboy, I love Nintendo ever since the old NES with the orginal Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt :p and the last 4 Zelda games probably are some of the best ever created.

19. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Because there were two threads the same, I merged it into this one.

20. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Paul, what would stop you buying a Sony product? I feel that on the whole Sony produce some great products and they have done a lot in bringing gaming into the mainstream, thus helping to secure it's future as a media format in an increasingly competetive world.

I personally wouldn't limit the choice of products that I may buy simply because of which company has made it. It seems that you could end up biting off your nose to spite your face by following that methodology.

21. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Had loads of problems with Sony gear - never seem to last too long, so just stopped buying their stuff.

Paul

22. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh the PS2 aint the most reliable console in the world is it :)

But that aside battery life will be a killer for PSP, so will price, ok you can play movies but you have to BUY a seperate cart for a movie that means buying a DVD of Kill bill and then if you want to watch on the move buying a UMD version of kill bill? lol what a waste of money
    Also memory cards needed for MP3 even more money, it all builds up :(

Not to mention the fact the nice high res screen will get scratched very easliy

We will see but i think DS will come out on top

23. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    True about the PSPs battery life probalem, however, in japan some companies recently announced fuel cell batteries runing on methanol!
    Also solar cell portable packs u can use outdoors, so the battery problem will be a thing of the past.
    The methanol fuel cell is compact and offers several hours of life with one "injection" if methanol. I dont know the exact number of hours, but its a lot longer than any currently available battery.
    Fuel cells arent storage batteries, they are power generators by the way! first you will see them being used in Lap tops then mobile platforms like the PSP and PDAs.
    This technolgy isnt far fetched by the way.
    One other thing, im surprised sony went with an LCD display rather than the newer OLED/PLED displays which are razor thin and consume even less power than LCD panles. I guess its too soon for OLED!
    But u may see this technology used in future models.

24. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I fully expect Sony to release a decent battery at launch, but it'll cost you about 30% of the price of the PSP. And the PSP will be pretty much useless without it. That's my biggest problem with Sony. They make all their money on the peripherals. Having only 2 game ports on the PS2 was a pretty big factor in my decision to not purchase one.

25. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    That is pretty unlucky - i'm the opposite, iv'e had a 29" trinitron TV for over 8 years (still working a treat after loads of use), a PS2 for around 3 years (also still working a treat, never had a problem and it's had loads of use), got a KV32FX68 TV (only had 7 months but it's an awesome TV) and also got a Dav-550 av system which is fantastic and really well built for what it cost.

26. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I think the reason someones hardware works better than somone else, is just due to mass production. If your lucky it will last long.
    Not only this but do you people, the ones complaing of something not working, actually take care of your stuff?
    I do and i have never had faulty hardware.
    Example, DONT keep a console on the floor where it can be kiked around!
    Ive been to many friends houses and seen their consoles on the floor and baby brothers sitting on them. Dogs chewing on controllers and such. SACRILAGE I shout, but no one cares.
    I on the other hand keep all my consoles on separate shelves, and covered witha cloth when not in use.
    Use a Lense cleaner every so often and they all work like a charm.
    Stop mowning about faulty workmanship if you dont take care of the hardware, :rtfm:
    It tells you how to take care of your hardware!

27. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ohh thats nice of you to generalise everyone just because you have a few friends who dont give a crap about looking after stuff,

Its a 100% known fact the PS2 has a ****e laser, thats the main reason it still sells so damm well in Japan as people buy a 2nd, 3rd etc when there warranty runs out

The PS2 is one of the worst built consoles ever in fact probably the worst, i do not think thats a sign of bad from Sony as there other stuff, like TVs etc are superb but thats because there built well and sold at higher prices to accomdate that, the PS2 however has to compete in price with other consoles so the quality suffers as the price gets lower

But like anything some people wont experience problems and thats more luck than anything else

28. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    I don't agree that the PS2 is badly made - the only problem i've heard of (apart from the initial disc jamming one when the machine first came out) is when a 5 year old snapped the DVD tray - hardly a manufacturing fault. Mine, my brothers and my mates PS2's have never had a fault and they are all around 2-3 years old and slightly different models. If the lasers were ****e as you say then surely one of us would have had a problem by now as they are all used quite intensively.

I think consoles are far better however when they are top loaders (i.e. the GC and DC). Much quicker to stick a game in and less that can break.

I actually heard that the X-Box's actually had cheap lasers and Hard discs in the early versions and many people have had to get them repaired by M$. The service from M$ is supposed to be excellent to the point is there were faults with initial X-Boxes (just as there were stories of badly jamming PS2 dvd drawes on early models).

29. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if this has been posted before, but the DS has a new design. (and an official name)

Register

Looks much better, if you ask me.

30. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    oooh that looks much better, makes me want one even more!