1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP multiplayer gameing with different region games hmmm....

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by nero0410, Feb 26, 2005.

1. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,356
    Hi,

I just wondered if anyone knows if it is possible to play a 2-4(etc....) game against a mate if you:

Both have japanese psps and american games each??

both have japanese psps and a japanese in one and either uk or us game in another??

One have a japanese or US psp and the other have an english one??

Do you know what I'm getting at??

If anyone has any information on this please let me know, and I'll post what I manage to find out. Which is nothing at the moment.

tris

2. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,356
    I still havent found out anything yet, I have asked some import stores and waiting for some replys but not yet received any.

Has anyone else had any luck??

tris

3. dr_loss

dr_loss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    difficult to say until someone has a us psp to play with

dont beleive anyone who can say for certain, they just want ur cash

i would guess at you being ok, the region is probably only getting the software/movie to launch, once its playing i would think you can play against who you like.

dont forget you can also use the xlink method to play head to head psp mutliplayer over the net... or you will when i get around to writing the guide...

4. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,356

It is a bit of a difficult one to answer at the moment as you say, cos of only having the japanese one freely available.

Innit, every shop just wants your money these days.

I look forward to your guide. Any news of any home brew software ever gonna be available for it??

thanks very much for your help, and I think your site is great, I follow it every day. :smashin:

tris

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    If you can play other PSP gamers online worldwide, I would assume that you'd be able to play via wi-fi in the same room. If all PSPs regardless of where they are sold are basically the same, is there any reason to suggest that they won't be compatible?

Does anyone know if the first Jap games are region locked? :confused:

6. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,356

True, they should work fine. The only difference in games consoles not being compatible (ie: playing halo through xlink with someone in america wont work) is because we're pal and their ntsc I beleive.

However with the psp this shouldnt be the case, as the psps are all the same which i think is ntsc anyway. weird

No the games are not region locked. Apprantely sony have said that they are not going to be region coded by them it will be up to the devlopers wether they region code their games or not. Which they shouldnt really as they'll effectivily be making more money from the people that imnport their games.

tris

7. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I had posted this question in another forum but this looks like a good place to ask again. So never mind the multi-region side of things - Im interested in how the PSP or DS for that matter will connect to public wi-fi hotspots. For those of you who have used these you know you get directed to a captive portal where you enter your Credit Card details - then your MAC address gets added to an access list allowing your to get internet access for the time you have paid for - not that ive ever paid for access knowing a few sneaky ways to get free internet access :) but I digress. So Ive got a DS and ready to order a PSP but cant see any way how these devices would talk to a portal to enable wi-fi access. So I think the first question that needs to be answered is how the devices actually talk to the wi-fi network - then we can start asking about multi-region devices etc ...

8. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,356

I didnt think we'd have to pay for the access with the psp (or the ds to that matter), it wouldnt make any sense really with the ps2 being free.

I also would have thought that going on wi fi connectivity would be, would a japanese psp/ds be able to connect to a server in this country. I would have thought so as they should be duel or triband, so you can take them on holiday etc.... being a portable device

tris

9. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I wasnt talking about going online while @ home - I was talking about getting access while on the move - since its a portable device. At the moment in the UK 99% of hotspots are pay services which you setup through a webpage

Im guessing there will be some other kind of ad-hoc wireless gaming where you can play directly against other psp / ds users in the same location but Im actually talking about going online while out and about.

As for standards both the DS and PSP using 802.11 which is a worldwide standard so there is no issue with getting online anywhere in the world.

Nige

10. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,356
    Sorry, that is what I meant whilst out and about.

Thats good to hear then, have to wait for some online games to come out. America have a few on launch I beleive.

tris