1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

psp movie region question

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by cracken, Apr 2, 2005.

1. cracken

cracken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    ive got a question i cant find an answer for....

umd movies - these are region encoded got that far, wondering if they are using the normal dvd regioning making a US psp region 1 and JAP and UK region 2/4 and possible compatibility?

any answers ?

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,899
    Because the PSP has only been released in the US and Japan there is no way to know if Region 2 UMDs from Japan will work in a UK PSP but its a good bet they are sticking to the standard DVD region layout, will just have to wait and see.

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,349
    I've got a Jap one and that is definately region 2 as it says so on the box. If someone with a US one could confirm that it's got the region 1 symbol on the box then i'd say an educated guess would say that Asia will be region 3 with Europe also being region 2. I guess we won't know 100% until all regions are released but if someone with a US one could confirm that there PSP has a region 1 logo on the box then I guess we can be fairly confident of UMD's following DVD coding. TBH I can't see why they would bother changing it anyway.

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,899
    Yes the US PSP has a Region 1 logo on the box and so does my copy of Wipeout Pure, the game isnt Region coded but it still has a Region 1 logo on it.

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Let's hope that UK PSP's will be region 2, same as Japan, like it is with DVD. Only movies are region coded, not games.

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,899
    I hope it stays that way too, would be stupid of the game developers to add a region code but if they wanted to they could.

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,349
    Yeah my Darkstalkers is R1 and my PSP is R2 but they obviously work fine as is. I too hope that they keep things as is but I guess someone will come out with a Multiregion hack soon anyway.

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Bearing in mind its been out for a while now (Pre Christmas) I am surprised someone has not cracked it already.

It only took a month or so to crack the protection on Xbox, PS2 and the Dreamcast. The fact there is no news on this leads me to believe its going to be a tough nut to crack.

Given that the unit will take standard memory cards and has a USB port you would have though they were half way there. They always defeat the protection on these things eventually. The question is how long will it take and how much will it cost ?

9. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I believe that at the moment games are region free, while films follow the same coding as DVD's do.

So for those that imported from the USA, you'll need to buy your UMD's from there, while those that got a JAP one, should be able to buy their films from shops here, as Japan apparently is also region 2.

I forget which website it was, but Hellboy Directors Cut on R2 was available for preorder, some American sites are listing about 10 films so far, whilst from other more dubious sources, people are now ripping films directly into a PSP format.

Have only read about this myself, I can guess where, but obviously will not post here, as I would be breaking several rules.

10. cracken

cracken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    cheers all :)