PSP gets price cut, PSone emulator, videophone functions

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Tejstar, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Click here.

PSP will see a worldwide price cut this month. From March 22nd, European gamers will be able to buy a "base unit" (presumably devoid of stuff like the headphones) for 199 Euro (about £140).

During a press conference in Tokyo today, Sony boss Ken Kutaragi also talked about the company's plans to add a PSone emulator to PSP, with games available through digital distribution to be stored on the Memory Stick.

Although timing on that has yet to be confirmed, Kutaragi was more specific about other new services - including an EyeToy camera peripheral to attach to the USB port, which launches in September, and video voice-over-IP (in other words, video-telephony), which will be available in October. Pricing on all of that's yet to be announced.

Kutaragi also discussed some of Sony's plans for updating PSP software this year, starting with network update to add Macromedia Flash support this, er, spring (touch wood, eh?).

There was no word on previously rumoured services and hardware iterations - for example, we know no more about "Sony Mail" or the rumoured PSP with built-in hard disk - but there was news on the GPS receiver mentioned at E3 last year. It will launch soon and have a role in games, starting with Hot Shots Golf.

An interesting year in prospect for PSP hardware, then, although - as with PS3 - there are still plenty of gaps to be filled in, presumably at this year's E3.

2. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  3. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I was just about to post the same links! This is good news, especially the PSOne emulation dowloads function!!! Portable Parrapa any one :clap: hope there are lots to choose from and prices are good ?

As for reduced prices, this is also a bonus and should get more people on board. The PSP deserves to do well, but Sony really need to put the effort in.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    It should have been this price all along imo, however it certainly should open the console up to the masses. Psone emulation sounds cool too, looking forward to playing FFVII and Castlevania SotN!

5. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The original Tomb Raider too... Apparently that is due for a 10th anniversary re-release, but with updated graphics.

If they price these PS1 games right, Sony could be onto a big winner here!

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Now that and its sequel would definitely be welcome!

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Here's the official press release:

PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) Continues to Evolve Expanding the World of Portable Entertainment With New Peripherals, Features and Services

Base Model to Become Available in North America and Europe

Tokyo, March 15, 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) announced today that it will continue to further expand the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) platform with new attractive accessories, features and services responding to active demand throughout the world.

Since its launch in Japan in December 2004, North America in March 2005, and in Europe in September, 2005, PSP® has already shipped more than 15 million units worldwide establishing its position as a new handheld entertainment platform around the world. With its overwhelming power, unparalleled in handheld systems, PSP® has gained huge support from a broad range of users.

To accelerate further penetration throughout the world, a new Base Model in black color will become available in Europe from March 22, 2006, and 199 Euro/199US$ respectively in North America end of March 2006. SCEI will also introduce Ceramic White for the base model of PSP® (PSP-1000 CW) at a recommended retail price of 19,800 yen excluding tax (20,790 yen including tax) for the Japanese market.

On the software side, a series of new PSP®Game are expected to be released from third party developers, publishers and SCE Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS) * around the world.

Highly anticipated titles are such as DragonBall Z: Shin, Budokai (BANDAI CO.,LTD), LocoRoco (SCE WWS) and MIN-NA NO CHIZU (ZENRIN CO., LTD) in Japan, Field Commander (Sony Online Entertainment), Godfather (Electronic Arts) and Syphon Filter (SCEA) in North America, and Football Manager Handheld (Sega Europe) and Lemmings(SCEE) in Europe.

Since its launch, PSP® platform has evolved continuously with system software updates* adding new and attractive features such as internet browsing, playback and storing of high quality video. SCEI will further continue to update the system software and expand the world of entertainment with PSP®. As a next step, SCEI will newly add Macromedia® Flash® player and extend RSS Channel function which enable users to playback and save internet radio content and entertainment movies.

As part of SCEI's passion to spread the entertainment world of PSP®. it has been introducing “PlayStation® Spot” * in Japan since February 2006. SCEI has now more than 150 locations at train stations, complex café and games shops where PSP® users can easily enjoy various content such as trial game software for free of charge. SCEI will further extend its location base so that more PSP® users could have easier access to the “PlayStation® Spot”.

For expanding the potential capability of PSP® hardware, new camera (PSP-300) and GPS receiver (PSP-290) will be introduced from this autumn. By adding these new attractive peripherals, new features such as motion tracking technology of Eye Toy™, developing the new game titles by utilizing the video chat function, portable navigating system with GPS function are highly expected.

SCEI will also start a new download service offering selected popular PlayStation® format tittles from the past. By reviving software assets, users will be able to enjoy exiting PlayStation® titles anytime, anywhere on PSP®.

SCEI aims to expand the world of entertainment with game, music and movies in the mobile entertainment arena by offering new peripherals and the continuous system software upgrades for the additional features on PSP®. With PlayStation, PlayStation®2 and PSP®, SCEI will create and develop a new world of computer entertainment through the fusion of game, music, movies and broadcasting.

*) Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios *) For details regarding the system software update of PSP, please refer to our official website (http://www.playstation.jp/psp). *) Area (spot) in which multiple PSP users can enjoy trial version data such as game demo at the same time, using wireless LAN.

Product Information Japan Models: Product Name PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) Product Code PSP-1000 CW Color Ceramic White Recommended Retail Price 19,800 Yen Included PSP™ hardware AC adaptor (for PSP™) Battery pack (for PSP™)

US Models: Product Name PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) Product Code PSP-1000 Color Black Recommended Retail Price 199 US Dollars Included PSP™ hardware AC adaptor (for PSP™) Battery pack (for PSP™)

Europe Models: Product Name PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) Product Code PSP-1000 Color Black Recommended Retail Price 199 Euros Included PSP™ hardware AC adaptor (for PSP™) Battery pack (for PSP™)

8. SagaLout

SagaLout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ps1 emulator might be the only way we get to play Gran Tourismo!

9. Jaymzee

Jaymzee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I went to get new tyres for my car a fortnight ago (while up to my knees in snow!)

ANyhoo, while waiting for them to fit the new tyres, they had a PSone in the waiting area running the original Gran Turisimo, it was nice to see it again, but in all honesty, it hasnt aged well..

10. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Looks like Sony is deciding to be less complacent about it's sales figures outside of Japan - which can only be a good thing. The PS1 emulator sounds good and I suspect that it'll be cracked and released "into the community" before the UMD's even hit the streets :D

11. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No, the PS1 games are for downloading to a memory stick - think about it, they came out on CD, they probably only take up about 400-500Mb of space, so no bigger than an average PC game demo.

Download it from the PSP website, stick it on your stick and off you go. I would imagine there must be some kind of copy protection in there though, or the games would soon find their way onto p2p networks!

12. Eddy.

Eddy.
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Lets all pray for Final Fantasy VII!!!!! :D

The PSOne emulation sounds awesome. Might need to upgrade my memory stick though. :rotfl:

13. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    Ooh, psone emulation....Vandal Hearts 1 & 2 please!:D

14. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Sony need to do an "iTunes" for down loadable games and they will be on to a winner - but I fear it won't work quite as well, Sony software can be a bit dodgy.

15. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    :oops: for some reason my brain stuck an emulator in their... doh! Oh well... a download to memory sticks distribution option will ensure that the net is flooded with copies, which amounts to the same thing really :rotfl:

16. Eddy.

Eddy.
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I agree, the original version of Sonicstage software was horrendous. :eek:

Subsequent versions have greatly improved though, so Sony are obviously learning. :)

17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Looking forward to playing a bit of Vib Ribbon and Parappa the Rappa, how cool would that be on the move! :cool:

18. Eddy.

Eddy.
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I loved Parappa. :D

This PSOne emulation thing is incredible exciting. Tomb Raider....Final Fantasy....Metal Gear Solid...all on the move! :eek:

19. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I want a better browser and a keyboard.

...And a Citrix client... :p

20. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    The fact that the PSP can play Mp3s I cant belive a vib ribbon has not already been released.

21. fantastic dan

fantastic dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    If they are releasing a psone emulator i would like the ability to copy over my games or similar from a computer or p2s or somthing. Not likely to happen but it would be a nice addition since a lot of user will already have psone games and won't want to buy them again.

I have to say that this impresses me though. The satnav thing will also be really useful as i would probably buy it.

22. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    Are these straight emulations or reworked slightly? I'm just thinking about 4 player co-op Syndicate Wars over infrastructure?! :eek: But even straight ports would be good. The limited draw-distance might be a bit ugly now however.

23. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Get a pda or a laptop then ;)

24. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I know it's a travesty, the game is perfectly suited to the handheld.

25. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Exactly - in fact most of the rythm/music games make great pick up and play titles - WHY are they not releasing them on the PSP - I guess becuase people just wont buy them enough? I want REZ, Parrapa, Vib Ribbon, and Gitarooman...

I was thinking the other day - not sure how well this PSone emulation will work. As far as I am aware the PSP does not have a PSone chip (like the PStwo had), so the PSone games can not be straight ports - which will mean some reworking and possibly a slow release schedule.

26. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Don't forget Frequency and Amplitude, just the thought of playing frequency on the move to the beat of some fine tunes makes me pray that this is on the way very soon!

27. vaporand

vaporand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    im really interested in how this sat nav works on the psp... wouldnt there have to be some kind of wireless connection somewhere? im thinking of buying one, but if the sat nav software works as good as other sat nav products, then i'll buy a psp... also for the mp3s, games, etc...

28. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Well I think Sony have said they'll be a GPS add-on for the handheld. I'd like to know how this will work in practice too as it has a great screen and would be great for turn-by-turn directions.

29. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry if I sound a bit cynical here, but how can Sony say that they are cutting the price of the PSP? All they are doing is bringing out another version, minus the memory pack, headphones, wrist strap and UMD Sampler.

If there was a genuine price cut, we'd see the Giga Pack being sold for £160 or £170 instead of the current £200.

30. chmaiden

chmaiden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so come on...who is in the know on this forum!!! how much is a giga going to be?!?! I am holding out til next weke if they are going down!