PSP Games - Not original, but are they still good? Plus other Q's

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by melliott1963, Mar 10, 2006.

1. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I currently own a couple of Nintendo DS's, which I am very happy with.

However, I'm still tempted to get a PSP, but have a few questions.

Firstly, when they first came out, there was a lot of criticism about dead pixels. Has the situation improved, or have people just accepted that this is something you'll have to put up with?

More importantly, the games. I've read here, and on other forums, people complaining that the PSP games lack originality and are just rehashes of old PS and PS2 games. I've never owned a PS or PS2, so this doesn't really bother me as I've never played these old games. BUT, what I'd like to know is, rehashes they may be, but are they any good?

For example, if I were to buy a PSP, I would almost certainly get Pro Evo Soccer 5 for it providing it plays a good game.

Finally, the DS is region free, and I regularly import games from the US with no problem. Does this also apply to the PSP?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Eddy.

Eddy.
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Good man. :thumbsup:

I don't think it was a major problem to begin with. Dead pixels are extremely hard to see, and only show up on a completely dark background. Even then, you'd need to be holding the PSP very close to you to notice them. I have about 4 dead pixels and they don't bother me in the slightest.

The PSP does have lots of PS2 ports, but who cares? Its a PLAYSTATION portable, and it allows you to play proper console games on the move, without huge sacrifices, something that was not very possible before. It has many great games...GTA, Pro Evo, Virtua Tennis, Lumines....and with more on the horizon! In fact, I was playing GTA in my school today, and my friend, who hates Sony and the PSP, was amazed at how incredible it looked. So there we go!

I love Pro Evo. It plays virtually identically to the PS2 version, with only a little slowdown visible at free kicks. The only sacrifice I could see was the Master League mode, though it does have a standard league mode.

Yes! The PSP has Region Free games. Jap and USA games will run with no problems on a UK machine.

3. Ratinho

Ratinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I know there were some dead pixel problems early on, but I just bought a new one, as did a friend of mine, and the screens were perfect. Plus, andy problems and you can take it back to any reputable place.

Pro Evo is a superb little port, and has no real problems once you turn on 'Power saving' in the options, which got rid of any frame rate issues for me, plus you can transfer all your name changes/transfers/kits over from PS2 Pro Evo in a matter of seconds. There are quite a few very good original games, on top of a lot of very good ports, so there is no issue really. Everyone can ignore the Lumines, Mercurys and the like, but they won't stop existing. :)

UMD movies are too expensive if you go to the shops for them, but a quick trip to PLAY for example, will show a s**tload of top and new UMD movies for around £6~. They look brilliant, and in my NYKO Theatre Experience ( :****) ) it looks and sounds ffffffffffffffffb.

It's a far superior machine today, than it was just 6 months ago, put it that way.

4. Eddy.

Eddy.
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Amen to that!

I forgot to mention the downloadable savegame for Pro Evo that gives all the correct club crests, kits and player names, as well as all the up to date transfers. :thumbsup:

5. DancingJester

DancingJester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm going to second all the psp praise going on here.
    Just one thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned, adhoc multiplayer games only work between games from the same region, or at least my UK GTA won't work with my friends USA GTA.

Also recommendation for the much overlooked Pursuit Force which has to be my top PSP game, even if it is a bit brainless and repetative it is still awsome ... and an original PSP title to boot :)!!

6. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OK. Thanks for the replies.

Just got to find a good deal. :)

7. Forestred

Forestred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I quite agree with everything that has been said about the PSP in the thread, I wouldn't go without mine. I have no dead pixels (or at least if I do have any I can't see them), Pro EVO 5 is excellent as is GTA LCS and TOCA race driver. I don't think that it matters that a lot of games are ported over, I buy games depending on their style i.e. if the games play in quick rounds like pro evo or short missons like GTA then I buy them for my PSP, if they aren't pick up and play games and ones that need time spent on them then I get them for my PS2.

The PSP is a great media device able to play MP3's and videos, whilst there may be devices out there to do each one better the PSP does the lot and has a fabulous screen to boot. Oh and you can surf the internet too.

8. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Was looking at a PSP mag last night and they mentioned that because Sony were buying a fifth of Samsung's factory (or something like that) prices will drop later this year.

Anyone else heard this?

If true, I'll probably wait a bit as I'd be sick to pay over £200 only for the price to drop within a few months.

9. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Sorry completely disagreee with some posts here

I'm well into me pro evo, been through 2\3\4 n 5 on the PS2, fantastic 2 player games....Complete rubbish on the PSP for 3 reasons...

1. Very difficult to control because of the poor d-pad - can't do diaganols to save its life...
    2. Can't see very far in front of you - seriously!
    3. jeryk and ropey graphics...

Joke of a game, missing alot of the features from the ps2, I've only played it couple of times don't think its got master league in it - can't remember waste of £30.

Now onto dead pixels, lol, they are a funny little thing, people either love 'em or hate 'em...

1. If you've got dead pixels you WILL notice them all the time - after a while you'll loose pride in ya psp and stop caring (good thing).

2. People who have dead pixels, if asked on the street whiltst shopping at tescos could tell you exactly where they are on the screen, what colour they are, and on what particular games they seem them, and what scenes in those games - don't notice them? my ass :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure they still have the dead pixels like when the psp was first released, a lot of shops will let you inspect the screen before buying, best to do if that way.

Quality of games for the psp? Well I dunno there, its all subjective really, there's alot of people who bum off there single game that they own (normally kids who could only afford GTA LCS) a lot of them frequent this forum and defend the psp as if its a relative with cancer thats being insulted...

I've had me psp since UK launch, and in all honesty, unless your going to make use of the mp3\video playback functions (you'll need a 2gb mem stick ontop of your psp purchase to get proper use out of it) then I prolly wouldn't bother with it...The games just aren't "full" enough, there's a few good RPG imports available (rehashes of ps1 classics) they are very good but if your not into RPGs from that era....

I'm prolly bein a bit harsh here, but when I buy something, I like to think of the BAD things, its easy to find the good stuff as its publicized by every person and his dog!!! no point livin in laalaa land pretending everythings fantastic on the psp - it ain't but then is it on the DS? I dunno I've never used one but you have...

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I'd have to agree with robo. For me, I don't use the video or mp3 side of things and my psp hardly gets used (despite owning 6 games). However, I've only really got into Lumines and Everybody's Golf with the rest gathering dust. As robo said you should look to get at least a 1GB card if you want to make the most of it, otherwise you probably won't get the most out of it.

11. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    While the games aren't that original, I don't really know what people were expecting. Its not supposed to be a replacement for a games console, just something so you can play a few games when your on a train or something.
    While mine doesn't get much use inside my house, I do use it when I'm going on the train to watch Cardiff City Play (1 hour journey) and I know I'll definatally be using it a lot when I go on hols later this year (2 hours to get to the airport, then 2 hours waiting, then 4 hours flight, then 2 hours transfer).

12. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I'd agree with you really. I wasn't expecting that much when I bought it. The thing is there's just something very unsatisfying about everything it does...

D-pad - rubbish
    Screen - dead pixels, fragile, likes to get itself scratched
    games - all feel ropey, over polished, empty

It may not have quite the power of a ps2, but its a damn sight faster than a PS1, most the games looky slightly better than ps1 games - this is only because the psp can do proper bilinear filtering to smooth over blocky textures.

Ridge Racer is a great game for the console - relatively speaking, it handles terribly, but it does feel like a "full" game...

I was thinking, sorry i mean hopeing ;) that by this point in time that handheld games consoles would have progressed to a standard where the user base is high enough, games are expensive enough that we can expect some titles that have more than 4 people working on each game full time...

I like to play for ten mins or so, but I get a similar amount of actual gameplay in those £10 lcd thingys from argos - minus the graphics...

soz goin OT here...

Lumines, although I can't seem to get into it, I can see why would give alot of ADDICTIVE repepetetive entertainment...but I'm not talkin about that sort of entertainment, might as well play the 16 year old tetris on the original gameboy, the hardware is there, just the funding for a decent full fat game that isn't a port isn't...

Apparantly Smackdown Vs Raw 2006 and Daxter are 2 games that are meant to be worth your £30 insofar as content goes...

13. DarkEntity

DarkEntity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    There are 2 PSP screen problems Dead and Stuck pixels

Stuck usually glow white, where dead are black all the time.

If they are dead they are very noticable, if just stuck then not too bad.

I have 5 stuck pixels on my PSP

14. captain kirk

captain kirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    great, i was worried about the 5 white dead pixels i have - like someone earlier pointed out - once you know their there, their always there.
    Ive contacted the seller, i may exchange it for another one....maybe. - but their not noticable when the games on screen, - but noticable when you do a system information - ie the black screen that tells you all about how clever sony are and all the mp4 codec thanks etc... so i guess im just being alittle piccy.

However - i cannot complain, got a multiregion jap psp for £..... not gonna tell you lol.
    I think those who disect the psp really havnt got a grip (sorry not looking for trouble guys/girls) The things a portable, its not a true console - more a picnic addition to the ps. The controls are more than adequate for the purpose of the psp, i may consider purchasing some form of case that makes the grip of the psp more fuller.

Psp isnt really for big hands.. i find it rather finicky in star wars battelfront 2 - imho anyway. I was considering the sony walkman to do mp3`s - but the psp does these and much more, so i think for what i payed - i did well. Wondering if the psp has an unlockable bass/treble control, or are sony going to impliment this in a new firmware update?

Cannot see the point of watching films on it - most films were designed to suck you into them - hardly possible with a screen so small as the psp, although i can see certain films would be handy to show mates at work - "whisper" you know the types :D

Im not happy however that the one shining addition the psp was i guess really for is wireless play - or game sharing, the only game title that uses the game share function is the namco classics game - i considered buying this just for the head to head play, but then again galaga/pacman etc - games of that era grow very boring very quickly.

In all im quite happy with my less then £150 purchase, for the mp3 function alone im happy - how much is a sony walkman?? i know its not far off the price i payed for my psp.

Conclusion - nice bit of kit. :clap:

:smashin:

15. noshoulders

noshoulders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    i second robo's post, buy it from a shop and open it then and there.

I bought two PSP's, neither have dead pixels, my laptop on the other hand.... ARGHHH!

16. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    But dead pixels are hardly noticeable in general use, you'd have to look very closely to notice anything.

17. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I do think its on how fussy you are with pixels but if you did get a few dead in one place it would annoy me :thumbsdow luckly my psp has none though :D
    I have to admit im not too impressed with my Psp ive owned quite a few games and nothing has been worth keeping apart from Everybodys golf and Gta.
    I am a fan of Pes on consoles but werent that sure about it on psp release the control on pad or thumbstick wasnt best to control and i found load times seemed take ages :boring: another one that got shipped to ebay.
    Overall i do think the Psp is quite smart system just i think theres not enough decent titles at all to make it worth buying as for me its a expensive paperweight maybe when Worms gets released later this month and if Gt4 ever gets release i might have slight bit more interest in my psp.

18. The Jayler

The Jayler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I was under the impression that the screens used now are different from those at launch. I think they Samsung screens now and were a different manufacturer before (can't recall which). I am lead to beleive the Samsung screens are much better than the origonal ones.
    I have no dead pixels on my PSP and got it about a month ago.

19. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks again for all the replies.

I think that, from the sounds of all that's been said, my best option will be to have a look around at the games that are available and see which one's 'take my fancy'. And then I'll take myself off to Game or GameStation and try and get them to let me try them out before making my final decision.

Having a quick look at the PSP mag in Smiths last week (and it was a very quick look), my initial impression was that it was written by Sony Fanboys and so was totally biased towards the PSP. There was also a lot of 'slagging off' of Nintendo. I'm no Nintendo 'fanboy', I just buy what I like, but this sort of journalism doesn't do anything to encourage me to buy a PSP.

As far as I'm concerned, the DS and PSP are aimed at different markets so there shouldn't be the need for mags to slag one or the other off. Unless of course, they're secretly disappointed with the PSP and are just trying to justify their own purchases . . . .:devil:

There seems to be a criticism that the games don't feel like 'full' games. I assume from this that the games are, in some people's minds' too short. I'm not a hardened gamer who spends hours a day playing, but instead prefer the odd 30 minute session when I get the chance (which to be honest isn't that often!), so I doubt that this will be a problem. In fact, it may be just right for me.