1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP: Game region/Battery Details!

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by AML, Oct 30, 2004.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Im sure many of you have quaestions about the games that are coming out for the PSP and also an important topic. The battery life!

Well according to Sony, the battery that comes with it will last anything between 4 to 6 hours of continuous play and 4 to 5 hours of video playback with the PSP's illumination set to maximum, (180 cd/m2) and minimum (80 cd/m2), volume set to half the maximum level, headphones used instead of speakers and wireless LAN not in use (note that the maximum luminance value rises to 200 cd/m2 when playing through AC power).

Good news for those who thought the batter would be a problem.

There is of course the extra battery you can buy effectively doubling the life.

As for games. Incase you didnt already know, the PSP will in fact be region free when it comes to games, but not when it comes to video content!

On the japanese release there will only be 2 games available "Minna No Golf" (everybodys golf)
    and "Dokko Demo ishio!" (always together...?)

There will be other games out in december though. Still not sure what though.

Im hoping to get Ridge Racer, GT4, Vampire Chronicle (oh yes!), and maybe Puzzle Bobble Pocket!

2. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Good that the battery life is 4-6 hours, more than adequate I think. I was thinking pre-ordering a jap PSP but cos of the video content region coding and some risk of LAN incompatibility I am definitely waiting for the UK release, whenever that is :laugh:

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Yeah thats probably best, but im a bit scheptical as to if there will ever actually be any video content.

Its a nice idea and all, but how many poeple are going to buy a movie on the UMD format that they already own on DVD?
    And if its a new release, again, DVD will be the better format in terms of quality.

It will only work if they release original UMD exclussive content that makes the most of that format.

4. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    If the UMD movies follow the same region coding as DVD's (which you imagine they would tbh) then there won't be a problem, as Japan is classed as region 2 along with Europe.

I've got a PSP on order from Play-Asia.com which will be on it's way to me in 5 short weeks.

I won't be buying UMD movies it seems a bit daft (well maybe one just to show off if owt decent comes out), I would prefer to watch movies properly with as big a screen as possible (try 90 odd inch projection) & surround sound.

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    4-6 hours is very poor and really will become a hassle, I have been handheld gaming since the Gameboy and really 10 hours is a minimum.

It is quite feasible that the most likely situations you will be using the console you will be away from a recharge point for longer than 4-6 hours, long journeys/holidays.

Gamegear had a similar low battery life and it died a death with that being a major cause, it is simply silly to have a handheld that has to be kept near a recharge place. I get a little fed up of my GBA:SP, but at least I can usually squeeze out 11-12 hours.

6. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I have to disagree with you there, i think for most people 4-6 hours is more than adequate, i mean lets be real, you and other hardcore mobile gamerss may use your GBA for 11 hours a day but most people on journeys then 4-6 hours is enough esp. if they have another spare battery charged effectively making that 8-12 hours. The battery issue no longer bothers me, its the UMD video content and LAN specifications. Also can the PSP still be used as a mobile phone or did that go out of the window?? :rolleyes:

7. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    only 2 games on release date? thats a shame

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Having to charge once every couple of days will be a pain though, also it is highly likely that as soon as you start hammering the wi-fi and UMD capabilities you find yourself at the low end of 4 hours.

If you are on an extended trip like a 2 week holiday, then you don't really want to have to cart around a load of stuff to just have a quick bash on it.

I am not really a hardcore mobile gamer anymore :) since I have had to start driving, my GBA has seen little action. However, I think that seen as the market is a kiddies market, most kids will get a little fed up of short playtimes, esp as you cannot really play and charge at the same time.

A big question also comes in when you look at the use of it as a controller with the PS3. Nintendo have shown without a doubt that GBA/GC link up can be really effective (Zelda 4 swords) and controllers with proper displays in them are really worth creating. The PSP has link up capability as well and it does become a issue at home when you can no longer play the game with your mates cos you have to charge the handheld up.

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,942
    I agree with Sinzer on this, the battery life needs to be much better if people are going to seriously use this like a true handheld should be used. With a gameboy you can just stick it in your pocket & off you go! With the PSP you need to consider taking the charger & an extra battery with you! You'll need a bag to take everything with you!

I'm a big fan of Sony's products I must say but I won't be buying a PSP. This product seems to try and please everyone (i.e. those wanting current gen power in their hands, those just wanting a handheld system & those who want a hand held media player) and will end up leaving most feeling a little cheated I feel. The gameboy only ever really tries to do one thing and that it does very well. Their may be room for multimedia devices in the main console market but i'm not sure if that's what people want from a handheld.

I also think that (like Sinzer) the handheld market is pretty much a kid's one. They go out to their mates with them and they take them to school where they can link up etc. and they will tire of the short battery life. It is very similar to when I had a gameboy & a game gear. I loved the games on my game gear but it simply never got any use as a handheld due to the poor battery life. My gameboy on the other hand got loads of use.

Then again on a plus side, if I did lots of commuting (which I don't) then I can think of no better entertainment than an hour or two of PES or GT4 on the move! It's a tough one, it's not for me but i'm sure there will still be loads of people who it will be right for I guess.

10. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    From a industry source in Japan (not mine I would add.. this is from another forum) :

"If you set the PSP up in full function mode i.e. Full brightness and use the speakers, The battery will last no more than 2 hours. The 4 - 6 hours comment is for normal brightness and headphone use".

11. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    4-6 hours sony say, my car manufacturer says my car can do xyz MPG

12. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    "Emotion Engine" :)

13. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also heard this 2 hours if your have it setup in the best possible way with a action game like MGS etc which requires heavy disk usage and CPU power

I have also heard developers are restricted badly by the battery life and have to think very hard about it when making games which is the last thing a developer needs to think about

Strange that theres so many puzzle games been announced and will also launch with the handheld :) might get 6 hours from a puzzle game if your lucky :)

14. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    If the battery becomes a limiting factor you can see a lot of develoers laying off the machine in favour of the DS.

Also a lot of possibly good games may get cut down!

15. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony came out a while back and said something along the lines of, "battery life is not our problem. It's up to the developers to make games that don't eat up the juice." (obviously paraphrased) This means, you either get watered down game graphics, or massive load times to reduce disc spinning.

On paper, the PSP looks like a great portable, as long as you're plugged in to the mains. So, it's only as portable as your power cord. :thumbsdow

16. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,942
    Exactly, you may as well just play on a PS2 with a nice big screen! You also don't have to buy your films again on UMD with a PS2 as it plays DVD's.