PSP game recommendations

daveb975

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had my PSP a few months now, and have played all three games I got with it to death (Ridge Racer, Lumines, Wipeout).

What else is worth getting? I like sports games, and have been considering Hot Shots Golf / Tiger Woods / FIFA, but will consider any type of game as long as it is good!

Do not get FIFA. It sucks.

Hot Shots is excellent. A lot of fun to be had there. Need for Speed is decent enough, but graphically, not as impressive as Ridge Racer though the game has more depth to it.

Metal Gear Acid is decent, but it's very different and may or may not be your cup of tea. Tony Hawks is okay, but best to stick to the big console versions. Moving screen isn't the best idea for a precision game.

I love Fifa. I have played it for many hours. Its easily my favorite game on the PSP.

Its not perfect but at the moment its easily the best footy game available for a handheld.

I have tiger woods and it it is a excellent game.Every thing about it is class apart from the loading times.If u want a challenge and a game that will take quite a while to complete get this.

I have the those three games too. I can also recommend Mercury, Hot Shots Golf (incredibly addictive) & Tony Hawkes ?

:thumbsup:

harrisuk said:
I love Fifa. I have played it for many hours. Its easily my favorite game on the PSP.

Its not perfect but at the moment its easily the best footy game available for a handheld.

If you can put up with the pauses every time the ball goes out of play, more power to you. Personally, I don't think EA should have released a game with such a major bug. It'll probably be fixed for the Euro release. We're a lot more demanding with our soccer than the Yanks. Either way, when Pro Evo is released, it'll be a moot point.

chrislad said:
If you can put up with the pauses every time the ball goes out of play, more power to you. Personally, I don't think EA should have released a game with such a major bug. It'll probably be fixed for the Euro release. We're a lot more demanding with our soccer than the Yanks. Either way, when Pro Evo is released, it'll be a moot point.

if i was you i would return the game or the PSP as my fifa doesnt slow down EVERY time the ball goes out of play ;) i did a little review on the game and did point out the slwodown and the fact it would put somepeople off but imho its still a hell of a lot better than any other option we have at the minute.absolutely cant wait for pro evo though but as a fifa hater this really is filling the gap till pro is out :thumbsup: i have noticed on the majority of EA games they have simply tried to just port the ps2 to the PSP and it isnt working,they should try harder on most of there psp games as when you compare hot shots to tiger there is only one choice HOT SHOTS :thumbsup:

STEER WELL CLEAR of need for speed though :rolleyes: if you want that kinda of racing game midnight club dub edition is out in a few days/weeks.

SILVERBACK said:
if i was you i would return the game or the PSP as my fifa doesnt slow down EVERY time the ball goes out of play ;) i did a little review on the game and did point out the slwodown and the fact it would put somepeople off but imho its still a hell of a lot better than any other option we have at the minute.absolutely cant wait for pro evo though but as a fifa hater this really is filling the gap till pro is out :thumbsup: i have noticed on the majority of EA games they have simply tried to just port the ps2 to the PSP and it isnt working,they should try harder on most of there psp games as when you compare hot shots to tiger there is only one choice HOT SHOTS :thumbsup:

STEER WELL CLEAR of need for speed though :rolleyes: if you want that kinda of racing game midnight club dub edition is out in a few days/weeks.

I had it for about a day and a half before I traded it. The gameplay itself I found slow and boring too. I just don't like FIFA and I was taking a risk on it, as I've not liked a FIFA since '98, and that was because it had indoor soccer which was great.

I don't find Need for Speed to be that bad. It's a tad repitive, but I'm not hugely into racing games. I'll probably pick up GT eventually, but Burnout Legends is the only driving game I plan to own anytime soon. I'll probably be trading Need for Speed soon enough. Besides, Lumines owns it. :)

chrislad said:
I've not liked a FIFA since '98, and that was because it had indoor soccer which was great

:rolleyes: and you was expecting the psp version to be amazing because :confused: but seriously if you detested it that much why even bother trying it.im no fan of fifa but 2005 is a massive leap forward over 2004 imho and has a few little tricks i prefer over pro evo (blasphemy,i know lol) but id say if you like fifa on the consoles then fifa is a must if you need a footie fix on the move and pro evo will be a long long way away (maybe xmas) and im not going football less for that long :thumbsup:

I have fifa soccer for psp and think it is good. It suffers from severe slow-down and it pauses every time the ball passes the touchline, but it is a pretty good game otherwise. I'd rather have a proper transfer system, but as was mentioned, nothing comes close to it on a handheld.

Ape Escape is pretty good and i've had a lot of play out of it. I've not got lunmines yet though so if you want I can set up a trade.

I can see why people would buy FIFA on the PSP but personally i'm happy to stick with PES4 on the X-Box for now. I'd get PES when it comes out for the PSP but i'm not a FIFA fan at all and there are much better titles available for the machine IMO.

SILVERBACK said:
:rolleyes: and you was expecting the psp version to be amazing because :confused: but seriously if you detested it that much why even bother trying it.im no fan of fifa but 2005 is a massive leap forward over 2004 imho and has a few little tricks i prefer over pro evo (blasphemy,i know lol) but id say if you like fifa on the consoles then fifa is a must if you need a footie fix on the move and pro evo will be a long long way away (maybe xmas) and im not going football less for that long :thumbsup:

No, I was expecting it to be at least playable, since the game, rather amazingly, managed to get high scores on IGN and Gamespot. I was wrong. I just really wanted a soccer game. Never liked the This Is Football games either, which the WTS game is based off. Guess Im waiting for Pro Evo

As I have already said its the best football game available for a handheld by miles. Yes it has some flaws but its still my favourite game on the PSP.

When something better comes out I will of course get that, but in the mean time its the best available. Overall I have been disappointed by the quality and quantity of releases on the PSP. Many titles seem to be lazy ports full of bugs. Did someone say the GTA game has also been put back until Septembet this year :confused:

For single player i think tiger woods is a great game but for multiplayer twisted metal is great, especially over infrustructure.

Getting my PSP brought back from Canada Friday! :thumbsup: So it's time for me to think about what I need to get (I've got WipEout with it already). I'm torn between Lumines and Hot Shots...? Any opinions? Do either offer a long term challenge?

Plus: Do I need some kind of case to prevent scratching or can I get away with it (it'll be going to work with me every day on the train)? And finally, memory card - can I get away with 512MB, or do I really need the 1GB? TIA!

IMO for videos etc you need a 1gig pro duo. You can get them readily for under £70 now, and they are worth the investment.

Lorenzini said:
Getting my PSP brought back from Canada Friday! :thumbsup: So it's time for me to think about what I need to get (I've got WipEout with it already). I'm torn between Lumines and Hot Shots...? Any opinions? Do either offer a long term challenge?

Plus: Do I need some kind of case to prevent scratching or can I get away with it (it'll be going to work with me every day on the train)? And finally, memory card - can I get away with 512MB, or do I really need the 1GB? TIA!

Ridge Racer is a decent game and worth picking up. Not played Lunines or Hot Shots but both are supposed to be great. I've also got Darkstalkers & Ape Escape, both which are also decent games if you like beat em ups and 3D platformers. Wipeout should keep you occupied for some time though - awesome game!

I find the case that comes with it OK but a case where you could carry extra UMD's would be good. I bought a screen protector as well and this was only a couple of quid from Lik Sang I think.

I get by with a 512mb stick fine and unless you want to stick full films on memory card this is ideal. I get all my game saves, loads of MP3's, loads of pictures and a couple of simpsons episodes on mine. Can't say I bother with it for films but if you do want it for that then get a 1 GB stick.

Lumines is more of a challenge that Hot Shots, in the way that Tetris was challenging. Can't go wrong with either.

Go for a 1 gig stick. A converted DVD at great quality is coming in at around 400megs for me. No point in having it all blocky, go for the full quality

Lumines is up there for me!!!

Really enjoyed Tiger woods too!!

I haven't played Lumines yet, but I just received Hot Shots today, fantastic game :thumbsup: Can't recommend it highly enough!

Great Graphics
Great Characters
Great Playability

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm a happy bunny - and now the owner of a PSP with WipEout! Excellent game - was so engrossed I was sat playing for 5 mins after the train had terminated at the station! So impressed by the image quality of the screen, it really is jaw dropping.

Converted a DVD, but came in at about 1.2 GB...practice needed. Getting a 1GB stick for £75, sounds reasonable from a local supplier...

Yes Wipeout is superb - one of my fave racers on any console! It just sucks you in and won't let go!! :thumbsup:

Lorenzini said:
Converted a DVD, but came in at about 1.2 GB...practice needed. Getting a 1GB stick for £75, sounds reasonable from a local supplier...

Use DVDecrypter and the Stream Processing filter. You can create a 4gig file with just the audio and video. Convert it at Movie 2 - 2.5hr using PSP Video 9 and you'll get a great quality 400meg file.

chrislad said:
Use DVDecrypter and the Stream Processing filter. You can create a 4gig file with just the audio and video. Convert it at Movie 2 - 2.5hr using PSP Video 9 and you'll get a great quality 400meg file.
Excellent thank you - will give it a go. I did a pixel test, and I can't see 1 dead pixel! :thumbsup:

Plus bought FIFA, and impressed - I see what you mean about the pause for a second when ball goes out of play, but aside from that it plays just fine! Best portable footy game, anyways...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom