PSP Enters Japanese Market on 12 December at 20,790 Yen

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSP Enters Japanese Market on 12 December at 20,790 Yen

Tokyo, October 27, 2004 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI), announced today that it would release its new handheld video game system, PSPTM (PlayStation™Portable) (PSP-1000), on December 12, 2004, at a recommended retail price of 19,800 yen excluding tax (20,790 yen including tax) for the Japanese market.
With high-quality graphics processing capability equivalent to that of PlayStation 2, in addition to rich stereo sound, PSP offers the joy of playing full-scale 3D-CG games and viewing high resolution video images anytime, anywhere.

Equipped with a wireless LAN feature (IEEE802.11b), PSP enables users to connect to the Internet through access points, making it possible for users to download game characters and content and also to play games on-line with families, friends and on-line community members. For a more intimate gaming experience, a maximum of 16 PSP systems can be connected wirelessly through the ad-hoc mode allowing family and friends to create an instant yet powerful local on-line entertainment community (*1).
PSP features an integrated high output lithium-ion battery that provides play time of between 4 and 6 hours for game titles and continuous 4 to 5 hours for video viewing. (SCEI actual measurement) (*2)

With PSP, the world of PlayStation, people’s most favorite platform, is further enhanced. A 4.3 inch wide 16:9 high resolution LCD screen, the largest in a handheld gaming device, creates a personal environment in which to enjoy games, music and video anytime, anywhere, with a dynamism that has never been possible before.

To accompany the launch of the PSP system, a total of 21 game titles from SCE and third party software developers and publishers will be released by the end of this year. In addition to these titles, over 100 exciting new titles are currently in development. Innovative titles using the unique features of PSP, as well as PSP versions of hit titles that have been the drivers of the PlayStation platform will continuously be introduced.

Entertainment software of an entirely new category mixing game, music and video on a single UMD® is expected to be released in spring 2005, further enriching the world of PSP.

With PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and PSP, SCEI will continue to expand the market and create a new world of computer entertainment.

(*1) Complies with IEEE802.11b. Typical indoor range of approx. 30m at 11Mbps and approx. 91m at 1Mbps. Typical outdoor range of approx. 120m at 11Mbps and approx. 460m at 1Mbps. However, places with obstacles and strong electromagnetic waves, range may become narrower or transmission may be cut.
(*2) Measurement conditions: display luminance set to maximum (180 cd/m2) and minimum (80 cd/m2) while volume is set to half of the maximum level, headphone in use and wireless LAN not in use.

PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) Basic Specifications and Features

Product Name PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable)
Color Black
Product Code PSP-1000
Recommended
Retail Price 19,800 yen (20,790 yen tax inclusive)
Dimensions Approximately 170mm (W) x 23mm (H) x 74mm (D)
Weight Approximately 280g (including battery)
CPU PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)
Main Memory 32MB
Embedded DRAM 4MB
Display 4.3 inch, 16:9 Wide screen TFT LCD
480 x 272 pixel, 16.77 million colors
Maximum luminance 180 / 130 / 80cd/m2 (when using battery pack)
Maximum luminance 200 / 180 / 80cd/m2 (when using AC adaptor)
Sound Built-in stereo speakers
Main Input/Output IEEE 802.11b (Wi-Fi)
USB 2.0 (mini-B)
Memory Stick PRO Duo™
IrDA
IR Remote (SIRCS)
Main Connectors Memory Stick Duo™ Slot
USB connector
DC OUT connector
DC IN 5V connector
Headset connector
Keys/Switches Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
Analog Stick
Enter keys (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
Left, Right buttons x 1
START button, SELECT button, HOME button x 1
POWER/HOLD switch x 1
Display button, Sound button, Volume +/- buttons x 1
Wireless LAN switch (ON/OFF) x 1
OPEN latch (UMD) x 1
Power Lithium-ion Battery
AC Adaptor
Disc Drive UMD Drive (Read only)
Profile PSP Game
UMD Audio (profile name TBD)
UMD Video (profile name TBD)
Codec Video: H.264 / AVC MP Level3
Audio: ATRAC3plus™、MP3
Security (Encryption) 128bit AES
(Copyright protection technology) MagicGate™
Access control Region, Parental Control
Wireless communications Infrastructure mode
Ad hoc mode (connection up to 16 consoles)
Supplied accessories
AC adaptor
Battery pack

Separately Sold Accessories

Product Name Memory Stick Duo™
Product Code PSP-M32
Recommended
Retail Price 2,800 yen (2,940 yen tax inclusive)

Specifications Copyright protection technology : MagicGate™
Capacity: 32MB
Dimensions: Approximately 20mm (W) x 1.6mm (H) x 31mm (D)
Weight: Approximately 2g

Product Name AC adaptor (for PSP™)
Product Code PSP-100
Recommended
Retail Price 3,500 yen (3,675 yen tax inclusive)

Specifications Rated input voltage : 100V - 240V 50/60Hz
Rated voltage/electrical current output : 5V / 2.0A
Dimensions: Approximately 76mm (W) x 22mm (H) x 46mm (D)
Weight: Approximately 44g

Product Name Battery pack (for PSP™)
Product Code PSP-110
Recommended
Retail Price 4,800 yen (5,040 yen tax inclusive)

Specifications Voltage/Capacity : 3.6V/1800mAh
Dimensions: Approximately 52mm (W) x 12.5mm (H) x 36mm (D)
Weight: Approximately 44g

Product Name Headphone with remote control (for PSP™)
Product Code PSP-140(W)
Recommended
Retail Price 2,800 yen (2,940 yen tax inclusive)

Color White
Specifications Remote Control : Play/Pause, FF, FR, Volume +/-, Hold switch
Headphone : In-the-ear type headphone

Product Name Soft case and hand strap (for PSP™)
Product Code PSP-170(B)
Color Soft case: Black
Hand strap: White
Recommended
Retail Price 2,000 yen (2,100 yen tax inclusive)

Specifications
Soft case:
Dimensions: Approximately 195mm (W) x 7.5mm (H) x 108mm (D)
Hand strap:
Dimensions: Approximately 189mm (W) x 3.3mm (H) x 9mm (D)

Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.

how much is that then?

Works out just under £107 - sure it will release for over £150 here though!

Any idea if it will have region restrictions like the PS2 or will it be like the GBA and let you run any game from anywhere in the world on it?

Seens a reasonable price considering the power of the machine. Battery life of 4-6 hours is still poor, although there is a battery pack available so it depends what extra battery life that will give. I think to be really useable as a protable gaming/movie platform 10 hours would be required. That said trains now have A/C power points and laptops generally only hold a couple of hours battery power so it would be OK for train journeys. Cars also have the cig lighter socket so it could be plugged in there. The only time that you don't have the plug in option is when you're walking somewhere. I guess though, the whole point of a portable system is that you can just pick it up anywhere & play without having to worry about finding a power socket.

That is less than half the price everyone had banded around.

Expect to see Nintys DS sell for £99 or less with a bundled game then! :clap: :smashin:

I wonder what the UMD performance is like when on a bumpy ride?

very good price.

The extra battery pack is just the normal one. So if your battery runs down you can remove it and put another one in. Smart idea and a nice solution in case you regularly find yourself using it for more than 4-6 hours between charges.

I'd imagine UMDs to be pretty hardy. This is from the guys who do Minidisc after all.

Launch lineup looks pretty good - Ridge Racer, Everybody's golf, Armoured core.

GT4 mobile due in January (before we even get GT4 on PS2 over here!)

I'd imagine UMDs to be pretty hardy.

I think Cripsy is talking about skipping of the media when it is playing, not the actual robustness :)

Sinzer said:
I think Cripsy is talking about skipping of the media when it is playing, not the actual robustness :)

Thats what I meant not that Ill be getting one straight away

Indiana Jones said:
Any idea if it will have region restrictions like the PS2 or will it be like the GBA and let you run any game from anywhere in the world on it?

The rumours I've been reading have been that PSP games will be region-coded, but DS games will not. Of course, that's most likely speculation based on the history of the companies.

The UMD shouldn't skip, that's what the caddies are for - to hold the disc firmly in the drive like Minidisc technology. I think that's what Richard Plumb was getting at.

sony have good as annouced that games will not be region encoded. movies will to region 2 (japan share the same region as us).

preordered mine from play asia. £210 including two games and courier shipping.

Fingers crossed about the region coding. I hadn't thought about movie regions. If thats true then a Japanese import means I'll still be able to play UK movies :)

Movie Regions and the Region coding they use on games are different mate, if you bought a DVD in Japan it would work in a UK DVD Player but if you bought a PS2 game in Japan it wouldnt work in a UK PS2.

Movies. That's the part of the PSP that has me shaking my head. Do Sony actually think people are going to buy movies on a proprietary format just to watch on their PSP mini-screens? This is a niche within a niche, if you ask me. Unless these things are rentable (doubtful), I can't see them selling at all.

Especially if they are priced the same as dvd i.e. £20. Who in their right mind would buy something on UMD, when they could buy the same thing on dvd?

Good point, it should be less than £10 at least

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom