1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP Encoding Help

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by chrislad, Jun 25, 2005.

1. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I'm trying to convert a couple of my DVD's to MP4. I have PSP Video 9 and I'm using DVD Shrink to rip the Video_TS folders. I can convert them to .avi with Dr. DivX.

Anywho, anything I convert doesn't seem to be in widescreen. I have to use the PSP zoom fit screen feature. Also, the sound seems to be very quiet, even with headphones.

What settings should I be using in PSP Video 9 for a good quality movie with loud sound? Thanks.

2. pkpkmx

pkpkmx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    here is a tool for dvd to psp, download it at
    http://www.topvideopro.com/psp-video-converter/dvd-psp.htm
    After the conversion is done, there will be two output files for each single loaded file. One is the .MP4 video file, playable with QuickTime on PC, another is a .THM file. Both of them are necessary for PSP. The two files are in the same main title, for example, if your original file is "test.avi", after the conversion, you will get two files: "test.mp4" and "test.thm".
    finally, you must rename them to "M4Vxxxxx.MP4". "M" and "V" should be capital. There would be five random numbers followed "M4V". The numbers must be same for the two files. This is quite important, or your file can not be played on PSP.

3. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I know. I can convert. I wanted to know what the best settings were. I have that PSP converter. I also have DVD Shrink, DVDecrypter, PSP Video 9 and Rapiz PSP Converter. I think I have an Xilisoft one too. I just wanted to know what the best settings are as the video quality isn't full screen and the sound is kinda quiet. I have converted videos, namely Spider-Man 2, and the quality is good, though not full screen, and the sound is very low.

Thanks for the help anyways.

4. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    is there any way to make the widescreen format full screen on the psp?

5. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    The only way that I know of, is to convert the file to a .avi and then convert from that to .mp4. It takes a bit of time though.

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    Depends on what aspect ratio the original file is, if its like most TV shows it will fill the whole PSP screen but if its a film like LOTR you will get black bars at the top and bottom of the screen and I am afraid there is nothing you can do about that.

7. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Converting from .avi removes the black bars. I converted THX 1138 to .avi from DVD and when I converted to .mp4, it was full screen

8. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    Are you saying that you can get a 2:35.1 widescreen image to fill the whole PSP screen without zooming in the image or cropping it to something like 1:78.1 ?

9. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I'm saying that I converted THX 1138 to .avi using Dr DivX, and then converted that file with PSP video 9 with the Movie 2-2.5h settings and it came out full screen, with no black bars. When I converted the vob files, it came out with black bars. That's about as much as I researched it. There's no zoom for THX, it's full screen by default.