1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP as powerful as a PS2?...I think not!

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by robo989, Sep 25, 2005.

1. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I've seen a few posts on websites, months and months ago and even now, people seem to think the PSP is a PS2 that you can carry around?

I'd have to disagree. The graphics are incredible for a handlheld and unlike any other ever released but then that goes without saying since its the latest one released.

The jump in power from say a GBA SP is like no other jump in performance on a console. Its abit like going from a Mega Drive\Snes to a PS1\Saturn, true.

But the graphics ain't anywhere near as good as a PS2! The resolution appears similar - in so far as proportionatly to the display size. But the texture detail isn't very good at all! Take Ridge Racer, its definately very impressive but the scenery is pretty sparse, and the textures are very low resolution (NOT the resolution the game is running at - the actual textures) they also appear highly compressed IMO?

To me, games look slightly worse than 3rd party 1st gen PS2 games at a lower resolution...Or slightly better than the cream of the PS1 games?

Just got burnout legends the other day and am distinclty unimpressed with the graphics although the game is very good and am certainly not "disapointed".

Anyways just curious what you lot all thought on this subject. Since the comparison is never made in that detail. On the odd FAQ on gamefaqs.com it says its like having a PS2 in ya pocket kinda catchy lines, but no actual comparsons are drawn.

I realised it won't be quite as powerful and knew that when I got it and am very pleased with it, so please don't say "Just be happy with it"...I am :)

Purely interested on what people think of the graphics relative to a PS2 or Dreamcast or Nintendo DS... :confused:

Do you think its got a lot more potential for good "full" games like a console?

Or do you think it will be like the GBA\GBA SP, where every game released is basically a half arsed low budget attempt with only a few people actually making the game.

I suspect it will become like that myself and games will drop to £24.99 in the next 6 months or so?

But who knows?

see ya!

2. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I have to admit that initially I was disappointed with the Burnout graphics, then I realised I was expected Xbox graphics. I consider the PSP to be a 96bit machine. Not quite as good as 128, but a good deal greater than 64bit.

3. lightbulb

lightbulb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I agree, burnout especially shows off the shortcomings of the platform. I have grown used to it, well, I have no choice until the xbox 360 comes out :)
    Burnout would look more impressive than it already does if the road didn't look like a pebbled beach lol.

4. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    'the graphics look rough, the cars are of the old hover slightly above the roadtype and its just plain stupidly fast.

On a bigger screen this could work but on the PSP screen its just a grainy mess esp when it goes off road'

quotes from spacecat in 'BURNOUT LEGENDS IS STUNNING' thread

funny i said this in that thread some time ago and lots of people got on their high horse to dispute what i was saying. Now another thread and people are saying the same thing!!

The best graphics i have seen are Wipeout played at 333Mhz smooth and stunning(no really! :devil: lol)

5. Cowden_harley

Cowden_harley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Yeah Agree^^^^^^

Shows the system's true potential off.

6. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I didn't see anyone else saying this. I said I was disappointed by the graphics initially but that was because I was expecting Xbox graphics. The graphics are still pretty good. A damn sight better than any other handheld anyway.

7. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    IMO WipeOut Pure has very sparse graphics and looks like a PSOne game (with sharper GFX), it doesn't show the power of the PSP. Mind you I didn't like the game at all so may be my opinion is biased!

Ridge Racer looks far better, and although not to PS2 standards for such an early game in the PSP life cycle it looks stunning.

I am waiting on BurnOut (delivery any time soon) but the comments above concern me, I shall wait and see.

I do have concerns over GTA and GT, these games may struggle on the PSP!

The PSP is not a PS2 in a small package, it is a machine in it own right, if developers try to port exisitng games then PSPs power will not shine, but if developers work on it from scratch I think we can expect some amazing games, come second and third generation.

8. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Burnout will disapoint at first, I assure you. That said, it is the best game on the PSP by far. I've had it since release and it's not left my PSP yet. Just give it a little time.

9. tom_g

tom_g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i am disapointed with the psp.. every game so far seems to be a cut down ps2 port... i don't want to play games i've already played on the big screen.

hot shots and lumines suit the handheld perfectly.

i've got ghost in the shell to try out tho. fps.... wonder if it will work well or not?

anyways apparently the ds is outselling the psp in japan (it's the opposite over here)... i briefly skim read an article in edge magazine. i've never really been interested in the ds after the launch hype but with the price drop and xmas coming i'm becoming tempted again. lol

10. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    Is this out in US/Canada? Let me know what its like.

I am not disappointed in the PSP, and the gaming choices will improve (how bad was the PS2 line up!), thing is I got rid of my PS2 - as it wasn't compatible with the other halfs Soaps and a new family member - my PSP satisfies my gaming (and mobile internet/tv/music) needs. I fear I will succumb to the power of the next gen machines, but will wait and see their progress - but I still think the PSP will remain competitive as a gaming device, and new and better games will appear.

11. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    there are a number of quotes in this very post saying how poor people think the burnout graphics are.

it s funny reading peoples thoughts on a game and what they think is good or bad, some clearly love burnout out whilst i think its simplistic, annoying and has poor graphics

I love wipeout and WE9 and hotshots golf!

one guy hates Wipeout

'IMO WipeOut Pure has very spares grpahics and looks like a PSOne game (with sharper GFX), it doesn't show the power of the PSP. Mind you I didn't like the game at all so may be my opinion is biased!'

most magazines and reviews state that wipeout is the most graphically accomplished game on the PSP so go figure!

I think its just goes to show that the only opinion you can trust is YOUR OWN!!

some people like one thing and will stick to it like glue (i am not immune to this myself) and others will hate it and say something else!

12. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    BTW i am very impressed with the PSP (to answer the original point of the thread, for a handheld machine i think its superb
    and also video play back is very good once you sort out your settings. The only downside is lack of cheap/big memory cards at a reasonable price. A nice 8 GIG Duo for about £100 would be perfect. and they would sell MILLIONS!!!

13. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I'm dying to get my hands on ProEvo 5. Could import but for multiplayer reasons, I'm not bothering. I did order some new nubs though, as I heard there were issues with the standard PSP analog stick, and these new ones help quite a bit.

Hot Shots/Everybodys Golf was my drug. I'm just after unlocking the 5th course, so once I'm 'burned out', I'll be heading back to it.

14. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    I could go figure, but the GFX seem "simplistic to me", that could just be the futuristic environment! I must admidt the game certainly zips through at a cracking place., however if I recall correctly (only kept the game for 1 or 2 weeks) Wipeout suffered from slow down at some points, i.e. lots of ships/lots going on in the background, but I may be mistaken.

Any way back to the main point - no the PSP is not equivalent to the PS2 in terms of power, but I exepect some amazing GFX come 2nd/3rd generation that may look just as goods as many PS2 titles.

15. zoidy

zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
  16. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    No one but a true ignoramous would seriously claim the psp is a ps2 in your pocket. It does look much better than ps1 games (IMO), tho this is largely due to the small screen size, I'm sure the psp has nicer textures an smoother graphics than ps1. For example ridge racer has better reflections off the cars and realistic lense flare compared to ps1. I reckon packing in more power (besides draining battery power) would be a waste as u wont notice most of it on such a small screen. Also whats the point of high res textures when theres only a handfull of pixels to colour?

This is really about your expectations, I knew it was no xbox beater, all i wanted was a handheld capable of 3d gaming. Since my expectations were realistic i wasnt dissapointed with the psp (in fact the lcd display was way above my expectations). The only gripe i have is the lack of games at the moment.

17. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    Wipeout does suffer from slow down as you say if played off the UMD in normal speed mode.

play it off a memory card at full speed (333mhz) and its a completely different game , no slow down at all, loads in a second or two and very very smooth.

18. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    Wipeout does have slow down, but only during big explosions with many other craft on screen

even then its only a split second. Will not affect your race, so not really a complaint

19. RockStrongo

RockStrongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Ah, that's why I stopped buying Edge magazine - they really have disappeared up their own fundament. According to Edge's worldview, anything made by Nintendo is uncritically good, Sony are just about bearable because they're japanese and Edge has been to Japan, everything else is rubbish.
    It's like a magazine written by posturing teenagers each trying to outcool the other . . .

20. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    Edge.......takes itself far too seriously. The front of the mag gives a clear indication how far they are up own ____: blah blah companies....videogame culture

Not that gamers don't have culture :D

21. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    Sony must be slightly miffed at people getting there machine to run at full speed and games off a memory card :eek:

I wonder if they ever plan to sell games online for dowload?

22. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I agree with the person that said earlier in the thread - That he bought the PSP because it was capable of 3D gaming...

I can't really say I was dissapointed, well I was with burnout, I've only ever played burnout on the Gamecube and that was only for a couple of mins. Seems way too simplistic - although what it does, it does do well, looks lovely from a presentation point of view...

The one thing I really want is a few good RPGs to be released, like Final Fanatasy X\X-2, Star Ocean till end of time, Dark Cloud 2, I'm sure the psp can pull that lot off, star ocean doesn't look very good its pretty sharp though so would suit the psp well...

Oh and Pro Evo 5...Of course!!!!! :)

Thats 1 game I will defo be getting :)

23. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I'm just hoping for a PSOne Classics range. I'd love Final Fantasy 6 through 9, as well as Metal Gear Solid and a couple of others like Soul Reaver.

24. tom_g

tom_g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well i don't see how my comments would lead to you this rant about edge magazine. i was purely saying that an article stated that the ds is outselling the psp in japan and it is the opposite over here.....this is fact.... how can this be construed as nintendo being 'uncritically good'? the article was written by one of the japanese games people that has two pages each month, what i would call blog, on the scene over there and how it differs from ours. would you rather live in your own bubble and not know about other cultures?

i have edge (since issue 8) among other sources (internet etc) and the features are certainly more interesting than that of the majority of other very 'teen/blokish jokey comments on each image' magazines.

as for front covers... what's wrong with having a nice image to look at? project gotham 3 was certainly nice. and the tagline has always been the same... videogame culture, that's what they report on, they don't just do your average previews/reviews and cheats sections.

fair enough we're entitled to our own opinions but edge is imo actually a magazine with well reseached features and isn't biased towards nintendo.

anyways rambling now. and off topic

25. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Totally agree with the need for more rpg's on psp. I really don't feel its suited for fast paced racers, maybe its my age but my eyes get tired trying to focus on a small screen (especially with lcd screen blurring) and i get cramp due to the awkward button layout. Slower moving games where you can actually focus on the wonderfull vivid colours capable by the lcd display woul really be nice.

I usually wince at the idea of rehashing old games but with ps3 on its way i think the time is right to maybe port over games like ff7, castlevania sotn etc. By the way breath of fire three is already in progress in Japan (one of the best in the bof series, great fishing!!) and Suikoden 1+2 as well. Will they get a release over here, hope so. Not too keen on the idea of porting existing ps2 games tho as they wont look as good and if you got the original why play on small screen. PS1 games however instead of being a straight port can be optimised to look better and maybe get extra content ( i dont think i'm asking for too much as they'll most likely charge full wack for rehashed games!!)

26. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    So I'm sure this is a really stupid question but how do you get a game to run at full speed off a memory card, does it require hacking the firmware?

27. dodger747

dodger747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Havn't Sony impossed a limit on the amount of strain devs can put on the processor and the use of the UMD drive in order to aid the life of the battery? Hence the reason of the sub PS2 gfx...

So maybe new battery... new firmware... full ps2 gfx?

28. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    the loaders have options where you can run the game at
    normal mid and fast speed 222, 266 and 333 I think.

all off the memory card.
    i have the datel max 2 battery so i get double battery life anyway so its not an issue of power for me.

29. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Running the PSP's CPU at full speed won't make graphics "better". It will simply reduce the amount of "slowdown" in games.

You can't improve graphics with a faster cpu just framerates - sorry if this is patronising, just wasn't quite sure what you were saying.

30. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    you play wipeout at a higher speed and tell me if it doesnt look better? its the difference between jerking and solid smooth frame rate, which makes the whole game Look better.
    optical illusion or not its a real difference.
    obviously it cant put in things which are not there but it makes what is there far clearer & cleaner