1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP as MP3 Player

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Nivelo, May 20, 2005.

1. Nivelo

Nivelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm getting a PSP in a couple of days and, although I've meant to get one I have never got around to buying an ipod. So, is the PSP any good as an MP3 player, what's the sound quality like etc?

Are there any cases available where the screen is protected but you can have headphones plugged in?

What size memory card is required for a decent quantity of songs?

Cheers,

Andy

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Decent quality songs are around 5 - 7 meg. Biggest memory card you can get for the PSP currently at a reasonable price is 1 Gig (1000 meg) they cost around £60 - £80 if you buy off net.

You would get around 140 good quality songs on one of these, around 10 albums which is fair I suppose, but with the memcard and PSP purchase cost of around £280 not really cost effective or competetive as a dedicated MP3 player. Put it this way you can get a good ipod like player with 20gig storage (2857 songs) for around £120 - £140 or a USB based 1 gig player for around £40 - £50 last time I looked.

In short its good that the PSP offers this feature but should not be the primary reason for buying one !

Also compared to ipods or other HD MP3 players the PSP is absolutely huge !

3. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Totally agree with the above, if i were you i would buy an ipod mini/zen micro because they hold a lot of songs and they are very small.

4. fdxd

fdxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not bad but its not a dedicated mp3 player. The N91 by Nokia in comparison is much better than most mp3 players and has support from premium sound companies. I'm amazed at what they pulled off.

5. Nivelo

Nivelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I don't think I worded my question quite right as I have bought a PSP as a games machine (it turned up today :clap: ). As I now have this PSP I wondered if it would be feasible to use this as an mp3 player instead of buying an iPod. So, I've spent £150 anyway and would still have done so even if I bought an iPod. My decision now is whether to spend £80 on a 1gig stick or spend more and get an iPod.

Thanks for the replies though, 10 albums would be fine if it is easy to transfer them onto the PSP. As for the size, it's main use would be to throw in my bag and then to sit on my desk at work so it might not be a problem.

As the PSP's turned up now then I'll check it out. It may be a case that a dedicated iPod would make more sense. Just if I have a PSP on my desk then I can play games on it at lunchtime :D

Andy

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  7. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problemi would have is if i wanted to use JUST a MP3 player i would not like taking my #200 PSP out just as a mp3 player, too big, too scared of dropping it etc etc

I would get a small IPOD AS well as PSP if you listen to alot of music

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    You could probably buy an iPod shuffle for the same price as a memory card for the PSP.

9. Nivelo

Nivelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I think you're right. A dedicated mp3 player is probably a safer bet.

Saw the PSP screen for the first time today, it is stunning.

Andy

10. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,443
    I use my PSP as a MP3 player, seems decent enough. The main advantage is you dont have to carry two devices about, can swap songs with other PSP owners and gives you an excuse to pull it out to show it off. Battery life seems very good when just playing MP3s. I've got about 14 albums on it - encoded at 128k as my ears must be shot as i couldnt notice the difference going up to 196...

As i dont listen to lots of music its ideal for me as a dual device, and while the appeal of an iPod with ever CD i own on it is there, the PSP fits its role nicely with this add-on feature. The only annoying thing is you cant play music from a game UMD, it would have been seriously good if you could just play the tracks straight off; Lumines and Wipeout goodness without having to concentrate.

11. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    It really depends on the battery life. If you're getting about 8 hours, go for it. Otherwise, I'd invest in a MP3 player. The Creative Zen Touch is pretty cheap now. It's a 20gig model, and while a tad heavier (45g) than a 3rd gen iPod, you're getting more than 24 hours battery life to a charge plus WMA support so you can store up to 10,000 (or so) songs. I've 6900 at the moment with 1.5gigs free.