1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP and Photoshop CS2 memory hogs?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by fraggle, Jun 10, 2005.

1. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi all,

I've been struggling along using PSP to edit my pictures.

The PC is an AMD 64, 1GB RAM, and PSP can only open about 25 images before all the memorys used up and it starts using the page file and slows to a crawl.

"Edit less pictures at once!" I hear you cry. Well, is just the way I like to work, I go out, take pictures, come back, d/l them all, then open the whole lot and edit them. That way I know I haven't missed any cause they'd still be open in PSP.

Anyway, got fed up with the slow down and ordered another 2GB whilst memory relatively cheap (cost me about £110 from Scan, 2 x Corsair Value Select 1GB PC3200 modules)

NOW its working nicely! :)

Open up 87 images in PSP and it only takes up ~1.8GB RAM, computer still responds instantly and I can switch between images instantly. Yay!

Ok, it seems like 2GB is an ideal amount of RAM if you're editing lots of images.

I've also downloaded CS2 trial edition to have a play and see what thats like, but I suspect 30 days isn't anywhere near long enough to explore it properly.

Moral of my story - Go Buy Memory!!! :thumbsup:

(unfortunately the new NEC DVD-/+ R/RW/R DL was dead on arrival so that needs to go back. The USB internal card reader was dead as well until I plugged it into another USB header on the mobo and it worked then... odd!)

2. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    EDIT LESS PICTURES AT ONCE :)

Seriously i use the PS filebrowser like an old fashioned light box... then open an image i'm interested in, process it in RAW into PS then save a processed PS file, TIFF. If i had 25 open i'd forget what i was up to.

3. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Psp is anorexic compared to photo shop

4. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Filebrowser is a superb tool. I've just upgraded to CS2 and the new Bridge software which replaces filebrowser is fantastic.

5. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    NOOOOOOOOO! :)

Well maybe its the way I take photos. I'm just starting in this game and I find I always zoom back a little from the "ideal" framing I want, so I can crop in the computer later. Better than chopping peoples heads off :)

6. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Really? I notice CS2 has a setting where you can limit the total amount of memory it will use. And I've noticed its a lot slower than PSP.

<cranks memory setting upto 100%>
    <opens same 87 images...>

Strange! Its saying it can only allocate a maximum of 1.7GB of RAM to Photoshop, so I set it to 100% and thats all it'll use. Which it hits at about 40 opened photos. The rest get opened but very slowly, as they're lobbed in virtual memory. Stupid, stupid program!

That means I can't work with more than 20 RAW images at once :mad:

Wonder if its a setting in the registry somewhere?

<fiddles...>

I may not be back :)

7. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Aha, edit boot.ini, the windows file, and add '/3GB' to the end of the windows boot line. Lets huge memory aware apps use more than 2GB of RAM.

87 images opened and 2.5GB used.

<phew> and I thought I'd wasted me money then!