1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP American or Japanese??

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by L0ony!, Jul 2, 2005.

1. L0ony!

L0ony!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im buying a PSP for my son but I do not know what would be the best one to buy The American Version or the Japanese.

Does anyone here know what would be the best as they are both available to me!!

Thanks in advance!!

2. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Some people belive the Jap has better build and screen quality but i fail to see the difference. It is just a case of which is cheapest, if you want to buy UMD movies then go for the US cus they are a lot cheaper but you will have to import the movies. There are no major differences.

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Hi,

I bought a US psp and then a Japanese one from the forums to compare them, then sell on the inferior one, as, unfortunately, I had been sucked into the whole "Jap PSP is superior" garbage.

I ran them both side by side, and found zero difference.

They are identical in every way, and if you want to choose one model over the other, i'd personally choose the US one, as you will be able to import umd films much cheaper than the cost of buying R2 umds for your Jap psp.

4. L0ony!

L0ony!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advise fella's, Although I thought Japanese were also region 2 so UMD made in britain would work on the Jap version, I think I am correct in that?...hmmm!!!

5. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    It would be logical if the UMD's worked from UK on the Jap models and they prob will but we dont know yet. Wed o know that the UMD's will be a lot more than in the US.

6. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for the USA version.

More films, uncut and cheaper.

7. mancboy

mancboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a jap one and i am gutted i did cos i am much bigger film fan than gamer if anyone would like to swap a us one for a jap one i would be more than willing

8. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    My information is that PSPs are not region coded.

9. mancboy

mancboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    4 games that ios correct for films it isnt

10. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    There are some differences between the US and Japanese models, but the only one I know of for sure is the change to the 4 buttons on the right of the screen. The Japanese model had a relatively high return rate for the "square" button failing right next to the screen. If I remember correctly, the reason for the button failing was the proximity between the sensor pad and the screen, basically the pad was too delicate and the button stopped responding.

Ken Kutaragi came under fire for the control system design but said he wasn't prepared to sacrifice the screen size to make more room for logic circuits and control components and was totally happy with the design of the PSP. The US release has changed the pad under the square button to make it more resilient although some claim it is slightly less responsive - feels absolutely fine on my US unit though!

No doubt by the the European version ships (which based on the product code seems to be two different models actually), we'll see more hardware tweaks under the hood. This isn't unusual though - by the time the original PlayStation and PS2 launched in Europe, they'd seen several iterations and we benefited from that.

11. mancboy

mancboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have never had any problems with my jap unit at all , the only reasopn i wanted a us unit was purely due to the fact that i am a big film fan and would use it mainly for waching films, however i think i am more than likely now to get a memory stick for it and i have found somewhere that sells region 2 dvd games so i will rpob keep and sell my us films that i have!

12. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi mancboy,

Hope you don't think I was saying the JAP models are all broken and you have to get a US model for it to work - that wasn't my intention!

The JAP units generally work perfectly but they did have an unusually high return rate for a new product when launched, basically you either got one that lasted the first week of play or it didn't. They alleviated that in the revised US model and I'd imagine that the JAP models are now manufactured the same way, probably on the same assembly line too!

In a nutshell, a PSP from one territory is at the end of the day just as liable to break as one from any other area - they're complex electronic devices after all - but the initial release batch (which were co-incidentally Japanese because it launched there first) did have a tendency to pack in straight away.

As for worrying about UMD playback, I wouldn't be too concerned about your JAP unit not playing back UMDs from other regions. Now that the PSP has been hacked (here's hoping the games publishers don't get cold feet given the cost of PSP development), I don't think it will be too long before region free playback is a possibility on the PSP, either via the native media player with hacked firmware or perhaps a homebrew player. Speculation of course, but probably not unreasonable!

One incentive to go for the JAP model - from what I've seen, are they not usually a lot cheaper than the US model? I'm sure I've seen JAP PSPs lately which were nearly the same price as the official UK RRP which for an import console has to be a first.

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    To be honest I bought mine mainly for games so the Jap one was the only choice for me. I tend to stich the odd TV show (Simpsons etc.) on it, along with a fair bit of music and some pics.

In terms of build quality etc. I think they're the same. Unless you want to buy stacks of UMDs for it now (all regions will cost about the same in the future, like DVD's do) then it doesn't really matter which one you go for.

14. mancboy

mancboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No of course i didnt think that colgate i know there were some major problems with the JAP when it was first released hopefully this has been rectified now so dont see there being any more problems i am hoping there is going to be a region hack soon, what would u reccomend should i upgrade the firmware and install a separate dvd player is this possible add me to MSN on cgaffney82@hotmail.com

15. GeorgeShadow

GeorgeShadow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    definitely go get the Japan PSP, as it was originated from Japan anyway (so as the video games) and it has switchable operating languages anyway. Sure they will get a way better quality control than the US ones. I got mine with perfect screen with 0 dead pixel

16. mancboy

mancboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine is superb dont getr me wrong i just want to be able to watch films you know what i mean if there was a umd movie region hack that would be awesome and would save hassle

17. CarbonToe

CarbonToe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The original batch of Jap PSP's (those manufactured up to beginning of March 2005) did have a better quality screen. This was mainly for 2 reasons, reviews (!) and manufacturering wasn't up to speed on the cheaper screens.

Now both the Jap and US screens are identical.