PSP 2 - March 2007???

norealplan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
"Rather than follow the traditional five-to-six-year product cycle of videogame consoles, Sony is expected to introduce an upgraded version of the PlayStation Portable in Japan before the end of March 2007. It will not be the "PSP 2" however, as Sony is instead eyeing a page from Apple's iPod strategy and upgrading the existing PSP's specifications while keeping the retail price the same. It is also expected that, as Apple does with its generational iPod rollouts the current PSP configuration will be discontinued when the new model goes on sale.

Sales of the handheld continues to be strong more than a year and a half after it was released in the U.S. It is believed that a combination of strong sales and plans for an enhanced version of the system is what has prevented Sony from dropping the price of the current PSP hardware itself. Instead, it introduced the PSP core pack earlier this year which offered a lower-priced alternative at the expense of previously bundled accessories.

The article in the scans goes into more detail of what changes are going to happen (The features they listed so far were built in 8GB flash memory, new configuration of the UMD slot -where The games will be inserted directly into the system- and a camera. The PSP 2 will be much smaller then the original. There has been no word about there being a second analog stick) and what won't."

Now bring us some original games!

Am I wrong for being a bit annoyed that my one year old quite pricey toy is about to become obsolete? Or should I simply suck it up and be grateful that Sony have paid a little attention to what people want this time round? Also I must be the only person that thinks the games line up is okay .. not great .. but not terrible either ..

sony should focus on the games rather than tarting it up.

DancingJester said:
Also I must be the only person that thinks the games line up is okay .. not great .. but not terrible either ..

Yup, you must be...Then again, Sony consoles have always been more about quantity than quality - As illustrated by this rather fetching pie chart:

graphyv6.jpg

They're just copying what Nintendo did with the DS. At least it is better than waiting 5 yrs for a PSP2. Besides your PSP may not even last a year. Mine is 8 months old and the directional pad is playing up. I would buy a newer smaller sleeker PSP1 if it became available in a few months with no qualms.

I dont see why anyone who currently owns a psp should get annoyed as it doesnt affect what their machine can do.

No, don't make the bloody thing smaller...

Am I the only one with hugely oversized, unnatural hands? I can't play for more than 30 mins before my hands hurt, the buttons are exactly half an inch away from where they would be comfortable. I have to play with my PSP in the logitech pocket case which increases the grip size, but also adds about 15 stone to the weight.

seems like desperation on sonys part to do something like this, there just going to alienate people who forked out £180 less than a year ago like me!! give us decent games sony! i suppose you could say the same thing about the nintendo and the ds lite. but the overall standard of games is far higher.

There are plenty of good games on the PSP, lots more are comming out and to me because I never got a PS2 then they are all new to me.
The PSP2 won't be out for ages. But they are going to update the design I think and make it smaller and improved a bit with more memory maybe, but that's no worse then Nintendo who no matter what you say about them ripped there customers off totally by redesigning the DS's look completely so perhaps Sony will think if Ninetendo can get away with it then.... and I can't stand the Mario this that and everything games. The PSP is much better for my age group.
As has already been mentioned on these forums don't ditch your PSP as it's future is bright. :thumbsup:

I gave up on the psp, poor loading times and crap line up and traded in for a ds ages ago.

Haven't looked back since! :thumbsup:

ive got a DS and a PSP...i prefer the screen on the psp, i dont have to squint, but some better games would be good.

I use mine as an Mp3 player too, and im sure i will use it for downloads when that kicks off

mattym said:
ive got a DS and a PSP...i prefer the screen on the psp, i dont have to squint, but some better games would be good.

I use mine as an Mp3 player too, and im sure i will use it for downloads when that kicks off

the screen on the PSP is amazing, the DS Lite has a good screen but no match for the PSP.

I don't mind a revised PSP, everyone else does it, Apple/Nintendo etc. As long as they don't make the old PSP obsolete by adding extra bits to the new PSP which I doubt they will.

More memory, better battery and smaller foot print would be good. I guess a faster UMD drive would improve things too.

DancingJester said:
Am I wrong for being a bit annoyed that my one year old quite pricey toy is about to become obsolete? Or should I simply suck it up and be grateful that Sony have paid a little attention to what people want this time round? Also I must be the only person that thinks the games line up is okay .. not great .. but not terrible either ..

I don't think there is anything wrong with this strategy. Technology moves so fast these days, I think it makes complete sense to upgrade it as and when you can make the unit significantly better. An internal 8GB flash would be great - although if true it surely will cost more than the current price?

Also, this strategy has not done the MP3 player market or Nintendo any harm in the past.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom