1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP #1 Must Have Gadget of 2005

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Miyazaki, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
  2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    This has yet to float my boat to be honest. I get barely enough time to play on an Xbox and PC and still find time to watch the odd movie. Does it do anything cool and gadgety apart from games and or sub-dvd quality films?

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    mp3's?

It does the hoovering as well! You have to buy the seperate dyson attachment however.

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Can't say that it excites me that much, although i'd get one if i commuted or spent a fair bit of time on public transport. As I don't and would generally only play it, listen to it or watch it in the home then I may as well stick to my full size consoles via my PJ :thumbsup: .

It's a nice, slick looking thing as well so if you're into posing then I guess this fits the bill. I'll save my cash for the X-Box 2 at the back end of the year personally.

5. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    I'm looking forward to it, especially when the second generation of PSP titles come out. I would really like a GTA game and some good adventure games on the PSP! :D

6. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Have you seen movies running on a PSP? I would have thought that as the format uses the MPEG-4 compression, (and the screen is at least half the resolution needed for dvd), that the films would give a pretty fair approximation of dvd quality pictures? still, my guess is as good as yours I suppose, (unless you've seen a PSP running a movie firsthand that is).

7. dr_loss

dr_loss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh yes

although the resolution obviously isnt top notch like a dvd, the screen is so bright and crisp that it makes encoded files look sweet (and dont forget that these are lower quality that the forthcoming UMD resolutions.

if you have a psp, have a look at my site for some downloadable movies you can play on the PSP.

8. retro21

retro21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Will wait till a Pro Evo title appears........... then its :clap:

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    At the end of the day handhelds are bought by people who commute and/or use public transport a lot. Otherwise they are fairly pointless. If I commuted then it would be top of my shopping list, as I work from home then I could only see it getting used maybe 2 or 3 times a year & that hardly justifies purchase.

For a mobile gaming, music & video device it looks superb though & if I was in the market for one i'd definately get a PSP.

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I don't commute in a way which would allow me to play on my psp, I bought it because I love gadgets and technology, and I would play in bed at night while the missus watches tv or reads, at lunch break at work, and listening to mp3s on it at other times.

Also watching divxs on it will be excellent and convienient!

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Yeah I must admit that it's a cool gadget. It would be a very irrational purchace for me though as why would I want to watch a film or play games on a 4" screen (or however big it is) when I can watch or play on a 6 ft screen instead.

It looks great, is a superb piece of technology and I like it a lot, however it would end up just sitting on my desk looking pretty I feel.

I'll still probably buy one though lol, my purchases are often rather irrational so why change now :thumbsup:

12. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    does nought for me
    I have no interest in this why play on a small screen like this when i have an xbox on me 28in all connected to live (before some one say it connect wireless to internet etc I know )

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Yep, my view entirely Uncaged Typhoon. It's only really of interest to those who are likely to do a fair bit of gaming on the move - i.e. commuters etc.

14. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well I work from home and im buying one. Im getting it for when I go on holiday and because its a cool toy ! Even my Mrs likes the look of this. The ability to play games, decent quality movies and the prospect of wifi web access makes it more of a portable media unit than anything else.

Come on people its a PS2 with a decent sized screen in your pocket !

Well maybe not pocket but its pretty small. However I wouldnt pay the barmy UK street price for the console, games or movies. US imports all the way for me. I dont even like Sony consoles but they have made these so tempting (and cheap) that even I am getting one.

15. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Me too. I have the GBA & GBA SP plus all 4 consoles (incl DC) and just don't get time anymore to play on them. I'll probably wait until there's a must-have game before I jump in. None of the games float my boat at the moment.

16. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I don't own a ps2 currently so it is ideal for me :thumbsup:

17. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Fifa (Wifi multi player)
    Metal Gear Acid
    GTA

That will do me for starters.....

Neither do I only Xbox and DC. I had a PS2 slim but it was so inferior to the xbox it got sold in less than a month. Although very dated now the PS2 hardware is still impressive in a piece of handheld kit this small.

18. dr_loss

dr_loss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a ten minute drive to work in the morning and do virtually no commuting

but i was in the pre-order q to get two psps before xmas.

dont know why just something about them which made me feel i had to have one.

cost me 380GBP in the end, dont feel ripped off but cant explain why - think its the impulse buy thing, think it makes me feel special somehow.

Would have to admit that I havent actually used it that much though.

Just off to get sad loser tattoo'ed on my forehead.

19. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    You do know that isn't like MGS 1,2 or 3. It's like a turn based RPG from what I hear. Played Ridge Racers about a month back on one and I gotta say I was blown away. I didn't think it would be anywhere near that quality and makes the DS look crap. Well, a portable N64 against a portable PS2..hmm...let me think. Yes I've played a DS too and the gimmicky pen thing looks like it could get quite annoying.

20. dr_loss

dr_loss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    apparantly its popular with school kids though who write each other little touch screen messages and send them over wi-fi

strange nintendo being popular with the younger years? surprised the ds isnt in neon colours.

21. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yea I have heard its turn based. But I always liked those games on the PC and its had good reviews. Would have been happy with a souped up port of the original MGS but never mind.

I have had a play with the DS. It has grown on me a bit I must admit, but technology wise its not on the same planet as the PS2. With the small price difference there is only one choice really.

22. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Mine is arriving today, and the UPS man better hurry up. Im not sure if Ill have a great deal of time to use it either, but the idea of lounging in bed of a saturday morning with ridge racer sounds good. Not sure what herself will say about it.

Anyways, its not a case of Do I Need It? Its a case of I want it!!!

23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Yeah but you own an X-Box and the games on that are better than PS2 games anyway.

Fair enough. Although I don't NEED any of my consoles, I simply WANT them. Personally I can't say that I really want a PSP as I don't see the point of playing on a tiny screen when I can have my games displayed in 6 ft widescreen heaven. Like I say, the only thing that would change my mind and make me want one would be if I commuted or was in a situation where I was away from my home consoles and fancied a bit of gaming! Buying one to take away on holiday isn't worth it for me, besides when I go on holiday I can't think of anything worse than sitting around playing video games - may as well just stay at home & turn the heating up lol.

24. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346

Come come now, no one wants a which console is best row. :) I personally awn all the consoles and think they are all equal in their own ways. So no need for that.

I dont think any of us need to have anything, agreed with your point there. I beleive it is a 'bug', must have everything :D

I too play my games/films through a projector, but it is nice to play out of the home on a long bus ride, down the park etc....just for a change of scenery. Doesnt really have to be a PSP or DS, it's just nice for a change I feel

tris

25. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    I think you miss the point of my post Tris. I'm not arguing about which console is best (infact i'm a life long advocate of buying games with the console simply being a neccessary purchase to play them on). My point regarding the X-Box & PS2 was simply illustrational & based upon the fact that GG much prefers the XBox to the PS2 as he has mentioned several times in the past.

The actual content of my post discusses why I don't want a handheld, regardless of who makes it. If I went on long bus, train or plane rides on a regular basis then i'd get one, along with other mobile media devices such as an MP3 player. If you tend to drive everywhere then the likes of the PSP, DS etc are pretty pointless and if you walk about with it outside then you may as well just have a big sign above your head saying MUG ME!

26. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    the ds looks quite good actually, I had a go on wario ware in dixons and it is so much fun! :thumbsup:

Might be persuaded to get one for £40 quid in the summer second hand or something! :thumbsup:

27. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    I much prefer the clamshell design of the DS but the PSP is better technology wise. It's a shame that they couldn't amalgamate the 2, but isn't that always the case :) . I did read though that Ninty are making a proper followup to the GBA line though and that it's technology may be considerably superior to that of the DS.

28. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    gthom:

Sorry, I mis interrpreted it then :) I understand your point though. If you drive everywhere it would be a waste, unless you go and sit in a park or somthing. Walking around with it outside, I guess you would have to be cautious of being mugged. I have seizures, so I run the risk of breaking the thing taking it out too, or getting it stolen if I have one. I'd take it out regardless, any mugger tried me I'd either run or stand my ground. Better to walk away a man other than fight, I'd only fight if ??i have to.

The clamshell is a pretty good concept, i'll probally get one at some point (when mario kart is released for example) I like to have the best of both worlds.

tris

29. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    For those of you that have one of these (Or have a US one on preorder) Dvd Soon now have most of the US launch titles available for pre order.

I have posted a thread in the Games bargains section with links. Basically for members with discount voucher the games are either £16 or £20 shipped. The good news is the £16 titles should not be below the import duty threshold.

Also links to UMD movies from £5 and accessories from £3 delivered (With discount ) in the thread. Thought I would mention it here as not everyone checks the discounts thread :)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194649

30. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    No probs Tris, I am also rather bored of "my console is better than yours, so ner!" discussions and didn't mean to head off down that route.

I can see certain situations where it's a good idea, such as if you visit someone, however it's rather rude I guess to sit playing on the PSP in those situations. I loved handhelds when I was a kid as I was always out of the house or round mates houses and the old Gameboy & Gamegear (providing I had a good 50 batteries on me :D ) were always useful to have around. I can't think of anyway better to spend a long train or plane journey though than a marathon PES4 session on the PSP and if I tended to take quite a few train/plane journeys i'd already have one. Maybe they should rent them out on trains, although I can see this being difficult to administer.

I do also like my technology and this sort of thing does impress me a lot - I mean to have a PS2, Screen & Joypad all packed into something so small is amazing!! Especially considering that the PS2 is still current gen full size technology!

Could people actually watch a full feature film on one though. I don't mean is the machine capable (as it obviously is), but more like could people actually sit and watch a film on a handheld 4" screen. The ergonomics of the situation just seem odd to me as you'd either have to get a stand for the unit, hold it for 2 hours or try and prop it up against something.