1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p'sonic e50 optical output

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stevo29, Dec 3, 2003.

1. stevo29

stevo29
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    am awating delivery of the panasonic dmre50; i have a pioneer a/v receiver that has coax & optical inputs, can you get an optical to coax cable adapter?
    & is the quality of coax superior to optical in particular when playing dolby 5.1 & dts dvd's

i would appreciate any answers
    cheers
    stevo::lesson:

2. ivanwilson

ivanwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I personally don't think there's any difference - coax, I think, is useful in that any standard phono lead will do the job, it can be easily made to any length and is quite flexible (useful for running rounds bends in conduit etc).

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Differences with DD / DTS via optical and electrical digital leads are so slight you really shouldn't worry about it one little tiny bit... even on relatively high end kit.
    PCM audio is a bit different and the differences between the connections become a little bit more apparent.

However, why would you want to convert an optical signal to electrical before then connecting it to your amp. If your amp takes the optical signal then that's surely converting it inside anyway. You'd just be adding an extra connection for no reason which can't be helpful.

4. stevo29

stevo29
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers for the info

i thought i had read somewhere previous that coax was much better quality than coax; can u recommend a half-decent optical cable?

am a newbie to this
    my stuff
    pioneer vsxd511 a/v receiver(bargain on ebay)
    panasonic dmre50 dvd r'cdr-
    -probably better than one box dvd player/receiver
    no freeview yet, no signal in East/south Devon

5. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Half decent? It either works or it doesn't, so just get the cheapest. You can get cheapo optical cable from maplins for a fiver. Pay more for better construction, but don't expect audible differences.

6. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had to make the same decision, Optical or Coax and after searching through many threads I came to the conclusion that if the cable was no longer than about 5M then you would not notice any difference, but if it was going to be a much greater distance and maybe subject to electrical interference than optical is best.

At the end of the day the amp and speakers have a much bigger impact on the quality of the sound........:smashin: