PSN/PS4 Just don't care about their customers

Discussion in 'PS4 Games' started by st4fore, Jan 18, 2019.

1. st4fore

st4fore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +654
    Hi All,

Long time member of this forum and gamer since the days of the Atari. I just wanted to gauge peoples opinions and to hopefully stop someone else making the same mistake as I have with digital titles.

So basically, I have been purchasing digital titles on Steam, PS4 and Xbox for the last few years and recently had my first experience of the PS4 Customer (lack of) Support Team.

So I purchased Kingdom Come Deliverance when it was first released as a digital title and as some people may know the game was very broken, but I have just kept it and patched it and now the game is fine (that should have been a lesson for me in itself). Then this weekend I purchased a game on PSN and after less than 5 minutes of play it was clear it is unplayable - it doesn't load in properly, it lags and generally it is just a mess (IMO). A quick Google showed me that other people have the same problem and it's basically to do with poor dev on the PS4 Pro - and as like many of you, I know my broadband is fine, LAN cable connection etc and all the other things CS try to troubleshoot first.

I thought, well I have only played it for 5 minutes, so a refund will be straight forward on the basis that the game is clearly broken. Anyway, 6 emails to PSN and I'm now aware of their zero tolerance refund policy if a game has been played (even if only for a minute). Some people may say I should have been aware of this, but I wasn't as I am so used to Steam and their very fair refund policy. PSN's response to my request for a refund was to do about 12 stages of troubleshooting which I did and it made no difference and then they told me they couldn't help me and to go direct to the manufacturer. So I am basically left with wasting my time even further or just deleting the game - which for me the latter will be what I do because it's just not worth the hassle - games are supposed to be fun things that we can enjoy in the spare time we have, not something we have to fix in order to play. Also, I read that if you try and get a refund via Paypal then they will chargeback to PSN and then PSN will just lock your account until it is in credit, meaning that I won't have access to any of the games I have purchased from them - so basically they have you either way if you have ANY digital titles.

I just wanted to say this because we live in a world where everything is digital, and I think that's a great thing, but more and more I see instances of us losing access to everything at the whim of a corporation. The same has been said about video streaming services, in that some films just aren't available in digital format, or are available then disappear in a bid to free server space for what's new.

Anyway - my lesson of the day - I won't be buying anything digital from Sony again, the risk is just too great.

What do you all think? - I was amazed at the PSN Trustpilot reviews, I thought they would have been 8/9 out of 10 - PlayStation is rated "Bad" with 1.1 / 10 on Trustpilot

2. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,232
    Has something changed in the T&Cs? I'm sure you could play a small percentage of the game and still get a refund. The Driveclub thread has examples of people playing the game and getting a refund due to its release state.

3. Jimster71

Jimster71
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,802
    I was one of the people who got a refund for Driveclub.

4. DAZ UK 74

DAZ UK 74
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,535
    This is taken from the Playstation Refund Policy page under the Games, DLC, Addons section.

After purchasing this type of content through PlayStation Store, you have 14 days* from purchase to request a refund to your PSN wallet. If you have started to download or stream the purchased content you will not be eligible for a refund unless the content is faulty.

5. st4fore

st4fore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +654
    Yes, so it is there in black and white, but most people would think that if something fundamentally was broken that they would get a refund. I think it just shows that they don't have the tech to remove the game from your system/stop use so instead they introduce a lazy policy that is bad for the customer and good for them.

EDIT: and faulty is ambiguous as they tell you to get in touch with the game creator.

6. DAZ UK 74

DAZ UK 74
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,535
    What game is it?

7. Jimster71

Jimster71
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,802
    I think that is to be expected. People will usually only take the time to leave a review if they had had an issue.

Saying that, Sony should implement the 2-hour refund system that other digital stores offer.

Driveclub was a first party title, so they didn't have another developer to complain to pass the buck onto. It may be worth contacting the publisher/developer of the game that you have an issue with.

8. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,092
    Whatever you do, don't do a chargeback !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. st4fore

st4fore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +654
    ARK Combat Evolved

10. DAZ UK 74

DAZ UK 74
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,535
    You bought a real stinker for sure but it's not faulty, it's a badly made un-optimised pile of garbage.

I understand why your unhappy with not getting a refund but it doesn't meet the requirements under the current Playstation refund policy.
    Personally I think all Digital Download games should have a 2hr or less no fuss refund policy but they don't.

Of course they have the software to remove it from your device, plenty of people get refunds under the right conditions.

I am not supporting Sony for what they do but we all signed up and accepted the agreement. Hopefully the long distance selling laws will get updated in the near future to make it better for the customer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. st4fore

st4fore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +654
    Agree. Lesson learnt! Although it quits to the main menu 9/10 times when looking for a game without any error message which is broken from my perspective.

12. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +689
    developers and publishers release unfinished poorly optimized games all the time this generation. its easily solved dont buy a game at launch, wait and it will get patched and cheaper. you get a better cheaper game if you wait. ive stopped buying games at launch this generation

13. silvercue

silvercue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,655
    I accidentally purchased a game once. I had previous experience of not getting a refund so was pleasantly surprised they refunded because I had not played it. They said if I had played it then I would not get the refund

Digital is not good enough for me at the moment so I only buy a few games digi. Way too pricey IMO for one thing.

So the other day my son wanted a game that feels broken to me - Gang Beasts, that is clearly half finished, but I know I get no refund as we have played it.