PSN now has chatbots/spambots

ibrox_grfc

Distinguished Member
Had a quick look to see if anything else was posted about this but can't see it if it has been.

On Wednesday night I got a message from a random at 8:30pm which said "Are you busy?" . I wasn't even online as I was in work on late shift until 10pm. Had a look to see if they were on my friends list or a friend of a PSN friend and they weren't so checked their games played in case I played with them on Destiny or something and they had 0 trophies and 0 games played. Thought it was weird but just ignored it. Then over the last day or so I've had another 5 from random people also with 0 games and trophies which I've also ignored ( 1 friend request from one as well). I know you can disable PSN messages but sometimes you get decent ones as well as trolling ones (which I usually like to flip and troll them) so I had kept it open for randoms until tonight.
Anyway done a quick Google and found this (8 pages long so far) NeoGAF .
Just a heads up in case anyone else has started getting them and it only appears to be happening if you have a Facebook account linked to your PSN. Sony also don't seem to be interested when people complain about it

Cha1ky

Seems to be happening on Xbox too. Think the only way we could do anything would be to not allow messages from people who aren't friends. As said above.

I've only had 2 personally so until it's something that happens a lot I'll leave it for now but if it gets worse I'll make the change.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I don't have Facebook linked, but got one yesterday. I also got a spate of messages with discount PSN code offers a while ago, which I also assumed was spam, so ignored..

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Iv had a few of them , but i don't have facebook linked , so it may not just be the case of having FB linked .
iv just disabled messages from randoms and only get them from friends .

Battle

Ive had a couple over the last few days, both random messages and friend requests. I dont even have a facebook account so its not linked to that (or not solely anyway)

Thought it was weird when I had a message pop up saying "It was raining here today so I just stayed inside"

addyb

Distinguished Member
I had one saying I'd win the Nigerian lottery. I'm loaded now. $422 million dollars. Lovely.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
I had one saying I'd win the Nigerian lottery. I'm loaded now. $422 million dollars. Lovely.
I could double that $422m for you in 6 months. All it will cost is my sign on fee of $1,000 to do this for you.

:laugh:

Cha1ky

and i've just checked my records. You need to update the 3 digit security number for your card. Can you post that here please. ***

Also, so i know its you, can you just put the full 16 digit number from the front with your expiry date. Once I have those confirmed, we'll proceed with our internet order...i mean your money transfer.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Lol sorry going off topic but I remember years ago selling a phone on eBay and they offered me double it's worth (£800) providing I ship first to someone's uncle who's a geologist in Zambia. Once I provided air flight shipping number they would proceed to release funds.

Lmao okkkkkk

thewhofan

Got my first one the other day using "Are you busy". Just blocked the user but didn't realise it would be a bot. Don't have a Facebook account so might not be linked to that.

ibrox_grfc

Distinguished Member
That thread on neogaf seemed to think it was Facebook related although someone else said it could be to do with the amount of games played on your account and trophies earned (meaning a very active account). My main account has over 100 games played and trophy rank of 23+ and I've had 5 messages. My US and HK accounts have only a few trophies each and aren't linked to Facebook and they haven't had any messages yet. Sort of wanted to play the bizarre response game with a bot on one of my alt accounts. "Are you busy?" - "Not anymore, just finished burying a body in the garden". Or else just pretend to be a camgirl yourself from the very start

Cheap Gaming

Yeah i have a friend who sold a quality laptop on a well known UK marketplace to someone in Nigeria. He sent the laptop but they said there was a problem with it getting stuck in customs and that meant they couldnt pay him his money unless he paid £100 to an account to get it out. He did it. Says it was when he was driving back home a lightbulb went off like " Damn iv been well scammed " haha. Iv never let him live it down. Gave away a laptop and £100

Stinja

That thread on neogaf seemed to think it was Facebook related although someone else said it could be to do with the amount of games played on your account and trophies earned (meaning a very active account).
I don't do Facebook (bahumbug :nono: old 'n grumpy) but got a couple of messages / invites which looked dubious.
My account is not inactive :blush: as I've played *cough* a game or two, so might be that.

Cha1ky

Yeah i have a friend who sold a quality laptop on a well known UK marketplace to someone in Nigeria. He sent the laptop but they said there was a problem with it getting stuck in customs and that meant they couldnt pay him his money unless he paid £100 to an account to get it out. He did it. Says it was when he was driving back home a lightbulb went off like " Damn iv been well scammed " haha. Iv never let him live it down. Gave away a laptop and £100
These scams wouldn't even exist without the thicko's in the world. They've kept the Nigerian dream alive!!!

ibrox_grfc

Distinguished Member
I don't do Facebook (bahumbug :nono: old 'n grumpy) but got a couple of messages / invites which looked dubious.
My account is not inactive :blush: as I've played *cough* a game or two, so might be that.
I just created one with a fake name to link to PSN for the photo booth photos in the Last of Us DLC on PS3. The game automatically sends them to a linked FB account

Cheap Gaming

Wait, so not only did he send the laptop to Nigeria, but he sent it before they had even sent a fake payment to him? :facepalm::laugh:
Yeah not sure what payment method was used but he said it looked like it had been paid but really it wasnt or they pulled the payment back. Years later and i still wet myself laughing when i think about it lol. Could be worse though. This Nigerian got $242 million off a sucker for an airport that didnt exist haha:

Meet the biggest Nigerian fraudster in history who “sold a fake airport” to a Brazilian for $242m (photos)

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
I had one of these around 8pm on Saturday. Just said "hey, are you around?"

Battle

I just had one from someone called "Vanessa Warm", made me chuckle

skysnapper

Yeah I've had 3 in the past week, never had them before and don't have my account linked to Facebook or anything..immediately blocked...double checked i have no payment methods attached to my account!

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published