1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSM192 + scaler?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cj, Feb 27, 2003.

1. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Tried this in the Video Processing forum, but got not response. What I really want to know is "Do I need a scaler too", and "Which scaler with a reasonable price tag?"

While I wait for Tag Mclaren to finally get their new video scaler out the door, I was considering investing in a scaler. I already have the TAG progressive scan module to feed my Barco 808s. Would e.g. a Deuce scaler, or a CS-2 be a massive improvement over the PSM192 module? Has anyone seen the TAG scaler in action, and how does it compare?

Cheers,

Colin

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Colin,

With a CRT you want to try and get the scan lines as close to each other as possible without overlapping. That way you max detail and light output, as long as it's set up properly in first place.

An 808 needs more than 480P or 576P on a 16:9 screen to achieve this. Unless it is set up de-focussed for some reason.

The TAG scaler has had limited showings, certainly not enough for folk to make valid conclusions I think. The de-interlacing of the PSM board is superior to that in a DEUCE. I would expect that because it is inside your DVD player it may be better than a CS-1/2. These can re-scale an incoming progressive source though (I think) just like the forthcoming TAG scaler can. It might be worthwhile having a look at one in the flesh on your 808 to see what is possible.

Hope this is some use.

Gordon

3. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand it, the TAG must still pick up the analogue output, so there is a D/A converter, if you then send this progessive analogue to say a CS1, this again must go through a D/A conversion. This I suspect will affect the quality.

Best solution other than a HTPC should be SDI or a cinematrix modded DVD player.

It is not clear if the scaler in the TAG 192 will be a pure digital path either. Should be once the DVI upgrade is out for the DVD 32r.

Hope this helps

Rgds

Nathan

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Nathan,

The DVD32r with PSM already has DVI out. As you say though it picks up the analogue component stream and a to d's it inside before de-interlacing. I'm pretty sure the TAG scaler will be able to accept this DVI signal for scaling.

Really looks like you have to wait or choose a current alternative solution that you will be able to get a return on if you choose TAG in future

Gordon