1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSM upgrade current price and timescale

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Tantalus, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Tantalus

Tantalus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Anyone have any experience of IAG carrying out a PSM upgrade? If so - how much and how long is the (customer perspective) queue? Many thanks.

Have to say how invaluable this TAG forum in avforums is now becoming! :smashin:

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I asked Barry a couple of months ago when I bought my DVD32R and it was in the region of 1.5K!!! My advice and the advice given to me by various ex Tag employees is to get a IScan HD+ or Lumagen :thumbsup: Much better value for money :D

3. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Tantalus,

My AV192R has been in IAG now for 7 weeks, for a VSM2048 upgrade. I tried using a Crystallio in my all TAG set up, it was quite difficult to integrate, with all the extra cabling etc. and I had problems with putting the processed signal through my RGBHV distributor, in order to feed two displays, CRT and Plasma, the latter having no DVI connection. Feeding each one individually from the Crystallio worked fine. To have everything in one unit is a big adantage, especiallywhen you consider the OSD., and the versatile switching etc. You do not say whether you are intending to add the PSM to a DVD32R or an AV192R, if it is the former, there may be a case for a separate non TAG unit, if it is the latter, I would be prepared to go for the TAG upgrade.

There have been some comments in the past that the chips used in the TAG PSM and the Scaler, are not as good as some of the current ones available, and that TAG's upgrades were horrendously expense, which I must go along with, high development costs and limited production runs must be one of the main reasons for this, perhaps someone may like to comment on that.

I shall post my recommendations when I finally get my unit back. Unfortunately my CH boiler and Oil Tank have both failed, and replacing these is high priority at the moment! Home Cinema is definitely on a back burner, as the wife's chillblains get steadily worse.

4. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Tantalus,

I see from your next post that you intend adding the PSM module to the DVD32 FLR. I believe the Pioneer 434 plasma has a DVI input, adding the PSM module to the DVD player will only give you BNC processed or Component RCA unprocessed, whereas the PSM on the AV192R has a DVI output, which I understand works very well with the Pioneer. Under these circumstances there might well be a case for going for the separate non TAG unit

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Barry adding the PSM to either the DVD32R or FLR also gives you DVI output. The main downside is that you only get one s-vid and one composite input :thumbsup: But its still expensive for a deinterlacer as with the I scan and Lumagen you get scaling too :D