1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSM s-video input and RGB->s-vid converter

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by cskates, Feb 1, 2005.

1. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have a DVD32FLR with PSM fitted and for the first time since I got the player I was able to use the progressive output into a projector at the weekend. The PSM produced a wonderful picture from the FLR, but when I connected my Gamecube to it (through a JS RGB->s-vid converter) I got coloured lines across the screen. eg. blue skies would have flickering lines of red, yellow areas would have lines of green and red. Fortunately when I tried looping the FLR's s-vid input into the PSM, or using the s-vid from another DVD player the picture was fine which suggests the RGB->s-vid converter is at fault and not the PSM itself. Connecting the converter directly to the projector or a TV is fine.

Has anyone else used a RGB->s-vid converter in conjunction with the PSM?
    Does anyone have a suggestion as to what could be the cause of the noise?

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Is your games console trying to output a PAL 60 signal? I had a similar problem with my x-box feeding my Lumagen (which uses the SIL504 as in the PSM) I just had to go into the set up menu on the x-box and switch PAL 60 off. After this it was fine :thumbsup:

3. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the GameCube have an accessory lead that provides a direct and unconverted S-video feed? I know they are common for the PS and X-Box, and this may be the best bet (particularly if you can get a refund on the RGB > S convertor)......

4. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Try connecting the Gamecube to the 'Sat' s-video input on the AV32R as this has something called a DC offset on it. I was experiencing problems with lines across the screen and this sorted it out.

5. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately the European Gamecube cannot output s-video natively hence the converter. IIRC the converter will output NTSC or PAL depending on whether the input is 60 or 50Hz, though next time I will try forcing the Gamecube to 50Hz output to see if that makes a difference. I should've also tried connecting a different RGB source to the converter. I'll try all these suggestions next time I get access to the projector :thumbsup:

6. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    CS

Have you tried a Joytech Games reciever in the chain? Forget what it is called exactly but it has 4 or 5 inputs, each with SCART, S-Vid and Composite and can output in any of those.

A friend has one (admittedly not into a TAG) for use with PS2, X-Box and Game Cube and it works well. It's about £60 and comes with an RC

7. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    In that case, do try connecting the convertor to the AV32's Sat input, and then the AV32 to the DVD32. I use a JS tech convertor from my NTL cable and had to connect it to the Sat input. Give it a try - it could be a cheap fix! :thumbsup: