1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pseudo Pal and component output

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jules, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    My TV does not take a raw NTSC signal, so my DVD player (Pioneer 737) is set to send a pseudo Pal signal to it via S-video.
    My projector (Sony VPL VW11HT) receives an interlaced signal via the DVD’s component output.

Does the Pal,Pal60,NTSC setting have any effect on the component output, and am I not getting the best image to my projector because of it being set to Pal60?

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Jules

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Depends on the player but with regard to component output the colour frequency setting ( PAL/NTSC) will make no difference.
    With regard to the s-video signal into your TV : PAL/PAL60 is actually preferable over NTSC , there are a couple of benefits with regard to generating a PAL signal over an NTSC one.

(This is not the same process as standards conversion where a 525/60 signal is crowbarred into a 625/50 one and is generally best avoided: However some players refer to this misleadingly as pseudopal)

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Thanks Keith,

Since you mention it, maybe my player doesn't do Pal60 after all.
    The switch is labled 'auto/pal/ntsc'.

Anyway, I'm too bothered with the signal to the TV as its ok at the moment. My main concern is getting the best image possible to the projector, which from your comment it seems I'm already doing.

Thanks again
    Jules

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Mr D

Are you saying that a 525(60) signal is better than 625(50)?

Thanks.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Nope I'm saying a PAL type colour carrier is superior to an NTSC one.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,983
    The Pioneer 737 DOES output pseudo PAL (PAL60) via composite and SVideo when the output is set to PAL.

Also, it does NOT produce a progressive scan signal from an NTSC source via component when the output is set to PAL. It will only produce progressive when set to NTSC or Auto.

My guess is that the Sony VW11 will produce a better image from component when driven with a Progressive Scan signal. This is certainly true of the VW10, but may not be as true of the 11 which has a better inbuilt deinterlacer/scaler than the 10.

I can only suggest that you try it both ways. Look especially at things like scrolling end-titles (especially ones with small/fine characters) to see whether horizontal strokes in the characters flash and flicker more as they move up the screen.