1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Pseudo Bi-Amping" Using A + B Outputs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SBanga, May 21, 2005.

1. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Something JDanielP said on another thread got me thinking. I own a Yamaha DSPAX750SE with Mission M34is as my front floorstanders. From what I understand, JDanielP meant that the A + B ouputs on the amplifier can each be sent to the high and low frequency posts separately on each speaker. Is this really "pseudo bi-amping" and does it have any positive effects?? Common sense would suggest that there would be positive gains in two channel mode, as the amplifier would be able to send more power to the front speakers as it doesn't have to divide the power supply between any effects speakers, just the front "four". From this, logic would also suggest the effect would be negative in five channel mode as the power supply has to be shared between seven, rather than the normal five. I didn't know how else to describe it so I hope you guys understand me! Am I a complete numbnut??? Also, if this really can be done, would my Yammy and Missions be ok to do this with??? Sorry if this thread is pointless!!!!!

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    This comes up fairly often and I've tried it myself. Unfortunately, the A/B output terminals are almost invariably connected together within the amplifier casing so there's absolutely no positive gain to be had from wiring up this way. :)

3. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
  4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    using A+B is an easier way to bi-wire rather than bi-amping

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Agreed, although obviously this leads directly into the bi-wiring question which is best left for the threads that have already covered it. :)

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's not "pseudo bi-amping", it's just bi-wiring. That said there is no (electrical) difference in using the A terminals (and squezzing two wires into one terminal each) or using the A and B terminals with one wire each.
    As to the benefits of bi-wiring please run a search, there are many threads on the subject.

Nope, as mentioned the A and B terminals are wired together, i.e. they are connected to the same internal amplifier stage. Therefore the amp still sees the speaker as it does in single-wiring, and thus there is no difference in the power output.

If you want to bi-amp you need additional amplification, either externally or by using e.g. the surround back channels, but the AV amp/receiver has to have a power re-routing feature in the latter case (only few do).