PS5's "Other" Storage - What exactly is it and why it is so large?

Doctor Hades

I've noticed that my PS5's "Other" storage seems to be increasing such that it now uses well over 10% of the console's usable 667 GB of internal space. It currently sits at 70-72 GB.

What exactly is this?

There is storage reserved for (obviously) Games, Media (videos and screenshots) plus Save Data, that is self-explanatory but what is Other used for? The PS5 already reserves some of its 825 GB SSD space for the operating system, hence why only 667 GB is available to the user.

I read somewhere Other storage can increase if you install PS4 games to the internal drive. However, I have always had my PS4 games installed to an external drive and never really had them installed on the internal drive.

Well, I say that but it isn't quite true as I had to use the console storage in order to transfer PS4 games from one external drive to another. I transferred my PS4 Pro games across to my PS5 using a 4 TB hard drive but then replaced that with a 4 TB Crucial X6 SSD some time later. Since the PS5 doesn't support direct copying from one external drive to another, I had to basically transfer all the games from the external hard drive to the new external SSD via the internal storage.

I am wondering if this process is the reason that the 'Other' storage is now at 70 GB? There seems to be no way to clear this out but you would think that on a console with such a measly amount of internal storage (now thankfully alleviated with the enabling of the internal expansion slot) that it would do some sort of regular internal housekeeping to clear out unneeded junk and clutter from 'Other' storage.

I've heard that doing a factory reset can fix this but I don't want to lose all my installed games and saves. I could move all the games from the internal storage to the 2 TB M.2 drive and the saves are backed up to the cloud. Would this work and does a factory reset wipe the contents of the console and M.2 expansion drives (I can obviously unplug the external drive) or does it only wipe the console storage? Does anyone know?

P.S. I know that I have a 2 TB M.2 drive installed so the PS5 using up space on the console storage is less of an issue right now. In time, this may become a problem is the size of 'Other' keeps increasing. Pictures and videos can only be saved to the console storage for example and you need to have a certain amount of space free to be able to record videos (10+ GB, I believe).

Thanks.

Last edited:

some tips on how to make it smaller by moving some games to other storage

EDIT I didnt read you post fully as it sounds like this may not help you much.

this has been suggested - Try putting it in safe mode and rebuilding database

Also some reports that each game adds around 1GB when installed anywhere on the PS5, this can grow as its played, but is removed when the game is uninstalled.

Last edited:

Doctor Hades

some tips on how to make it smaller by moving some games to other storage

EDIT I didnt read you post fully as it sounds like this may not help you much.

this has been suggested - Try putting it in safe mode and rebuilding database

Also some reports that each game adds around 1GB when installed anywhere on the PS5, this can grow as its played, but is removed when the game is uninstalled.

Thanks for the reply.

I do have a LOT of games installed on my PS5: 39 PS5 games in the Console and M.2 storage plus at least twice, possibly three times that in PS4 games installed to my 4 TB external SSD.

Still, I may try the rebuild database option over the weekend to so if it reduces the size from its current 72 GB. I suspect though that the reason it is the size it is is because I used the internal Console storage to copy my PS4 games from the external hard drive to the new external SSD.

FlatStanly

I was also wondering this. My opinion is purely hypothetical and based on what Mark Cerny mentioned in the ps5 hardware presentation some time ago. In it, he mentions having a blazing fast custom ssd with the idea of using it like ram.

The idea to use a ssd like ram isn't new but at the speed he was talking about it could be used to make more interactive environments. So this could be some kind of some special allocation for this kind of functionality.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom