PS59D550 settings

Samsung boy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I noticed that both Movie and Standard settings have a contrast of 95.
Is that not high considering the potential logo burning issues?

I recall that my Samsung 50" was way lower contrast on both modes.

Would welcome feedback.

Thanks

Hi, I noticed that both Movie and Standard settings have a contrast of 95.
Is that not high considering the potential logo burning issues?

I recall that my Samsung 50" was way lower contrast on both modes.

Would welcome feedback.

Thanks

95 is high for contrast,only using movie mode for all inputs.Done a basic calibration with the DVE disc finished up with.

Cell Light-18
Contrast -73
Brightness-55
Colour-48
Sharpness-2

Dont know why but there seems to be a difference between hdmi/dvi 1 and the other 3 hdmi:confused:
Later going to connect the BR player to hdmi 2 and run the DVE again to see what difference there is.

Regards Martin

95 is high for contrast,only using movie mode for all inputs.Done a basic calibration with the DVE disc finished up with.

Cell Light-18
Contrast -73
Brightness-55
Colour-48
Sharpness-2

Dont know why but there seems to be a difference between hdmi/dvi 1 and the other 3 hdmi:confused:
Later going to connect the BR player to hdmi 2 and run the DVE again to see what difference there is.

Regards Martin

Morning M:)rtin,
I will be interested in your findings mate ;)

Regards
M:smashin:rtin:laugh:

Does anyone know why Samsung set both modes so high in contrast?

Just guessing here but may be it has something to do with 3D viewing as with the tint of the glasses you will need the contrast higher to give a brighter image.
I have never had a tv that I didnt need to turn the contrast down on any preset they have all been too high imo.
There are so many variables there is no way they can set the contrast for every environment room conditions/day/night lighting etc.
The high contrast might just be so high that instore if you change the presets it will still give a bright standout pq under store lighting.

Regards Martin

Last edited:

Cell Light-18
Contrast -73
Brightness-55
Colour-48
Sharpness-2

Regards Martin

Martin have you experimented where the discrepensies are coming from on HDMi 1 / DVi yet ?

Thanks
Martin.

I'd be interested to know your findings as well after moving sources to HDMI 2. I've got Sky and PS3 going through HDMI 1 at the moment. Might experiment myself once I get back from the Betty Ford clinic.

Morning M:)rtin,
I will be interested in your findings mate ;)

Regards
M:smashin:rtin:laugh:

Morning Martin:)

Merry Christmas :thumbsup:

Had a play last night put the bluray on hdmi 2 rerun the DVE and got the same results as hdmi/dvi 1:confused:
Have come to the conclusion that the source programme was the problem (haven) on Syfy channel

Regards Martin

Morning Martin:)

Merry Christmas :thumbsup:

Had a play last night put the bluray on hdmi 2 rerun the DVE and got the same results as hdmi/dvi 1:confused:
Have come to the conclusion that the source programme was the problem (haven) on Syfy channel

Regards Martin

Morning Mate ,
Happy christmas to you too :smashin:, What are we doing here this morning LOL :laugh:,

Cheers for posting back with your findings, I did some testing myself and found HDMi 1-3 all the same (didnt bother with 4).

I have found an anomaly tho, BD player direct to TV i can get the flashing bars way above Ref 16 but if i connect through my amp then to TV i can only get 17 flashing even on 100 Brightness :confused:, The rest of the screen washes out with dithering though. Despite that both ways of connection come out at identical brightness setting of 67 on movie mode and 53 on Standard Mode so no idea whats happening :laugh:.

Have a good day Mate :cool:

Martin :)

Martin.....how many bottles of red have you had already??

Martin.....how many bottles of red have you had already??

Which Martin ? lol,

I swear to you paul the above post is the truth;), Must be something in my Onkyo that causes it :laugh:,

No rouge yet mate, Might have a bailys with my scrambled egg and smoked salmon in a bit tho :D:smashin:

I take it all the video processing on the Onkyo is switched off??

Last few days I been getting really hacked off with this horizontal white line across the screen, only exists while watching Sky and not all channels. Thing is now I know its there I automatically look for it and its annoying me. Have tested all other kit and its not there on PS3 and Blu Ray. Its a weird one, but once you see it, it brings on the tourettes.

I've just had baileys in my coffee, great way to start the day :thumbsup:

I take it all the video processing on the Onkyo is switched off??

Last few days I been getting really hacked off with this horizontal white line across the screen, only exists while watching Sky and not all channels. Thing is now I know its there I automatically look for it and its annoying me. Have tested all other kit and its not there on PS3 and Blu Ray. Its a weird one, but once you see it, it brings on the tourettes.

I've just had baileys in my coffee, great way to start the day :thumbsup:

What there is yep, its only an 'all in one system' so doesn't have many widgets,

Have you tried a diff HD box on your TV ? if all other sources are ok it could be the box.:)

What there is yep, its only an 'all in one system' so doesn't have many widgets,

Have you tried a diff HD box on your TV ? if all other sources are ok it could be the box.:)

Yes mate, tried that one straight away when I first noticed it. I swear its a resident gremlin on certain channels. ITV 2HD is worse, it shows up all the time. But funny how nobody else has reported seeing it, so makes me think its a gremlin somewhere in my system here.

Right time for another coffee and Baileys.

Yes mate, tried that one straight away when I first noticed it. I swear its a resident gremlin on certain channels. ITV 2HD is worse, it shows up all the time. But funny how nobody else has reported seeing it, so makes me think its a gremlin somewhere in my system here.

Right time for another coffee and Baileys.

Sounds like my issue ;) Lol

Stuff the Coffee i'm just going for the baileys :D

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom