PS50c680 - enable cinema smooth 24p

Haven't noticed they weren't smooth anyway, what does this option do exactly? Presumably it invalidates any warranty doing it?

Haven't noticed they weren't smooth anyway, what does this option do exactly? Presumably it invalidates any warranty doing it?

i agree, spent yesterday watching fringe on bluray and thought it looked superb?

im certainly a bit wary of possibly invalidating my warranty considering people have problems with these sets

i agree, spent yesterday watching fringe on bluray and thought it looked superb?

im certainly a bit wary of possibly invalidating my warranty considering people have problems with these sets

Not quite sure how it would invalidate any warranty. Its not putting new code or software on (i.e. jailbreak exploit) its just changing the settings that are already there. It would be like saying that changing any menu option would invalidate the warranty.

I am not a lawyer though... :)

Last edited:
maybe i mis-understood the firmware thread then?

as everyone was talking about changing model numbers type numbers etc, i thought you had to do that?

but why wouldnt samsung make it easy to do? is it a feature for more expensive tvs or something?

maybe i mis-understood the firmware thread then?

as everyone was talking about changing model numbers type numbers etc, i thought you had to do that?

but why wouldnt samsung make it easy to do? is it a feature for more expensive tvs or something?

You do not need to change the model number or type to get 24p option to work...

Changing the model number might make other options work i.e. internet@tv etc.... but people are just starting to play with the TV options i don't think anyone has yet set the model or type and confirmed it does anything more...

this may be something else here but when i watch a blu ray and press info button, it says that its 1920x1080 @24

does this mean mines already on 24p? i havent touched any thing on it, the bluray player connects through some sort of smart connection (bd-wise) and sets its own picture settings etc

Same here mate, confused as well by this

The ps50c680 displays 24hz sources at 60hz, this causes juddering.

Cinema smooth is a processing feature in high end samsung TVS that converts 24hz sources to 96hz This means the tv displays the 24 frames four times each second. This provides a superior smooth motion. The 680 has the feature supressed in firmware as it is usually only offered on high end models.

You can now enable this feature on the 680 by following the instructions using the link at the top of this page.

To test make sure your blu Ray player or pc is set to output 24hz, you then need to enable cinema smooth in the picture settings menu whilst the 24hz source is displayed on screen. Just compare the motion ~ it's a big difference

The universal logo is a good juddering test

More info here
24p: What You Should Know | Missing Remote

Last edited:
I don't understand why a feature such as Cinema smooth is advertised on the front of the box and yet is not enabled ?

Has anyone spoke to Samsung about this?

I don't understand why a feature such as Cinema smooth is advertised on the front of the box and yet is not enabled ?

Has anyone spoke to Samsung about this?

Nobody would buy the 7000 series i guess?

I'm sure I remember that the Cinema Smooth was disabled on the PS50C6500 because of the bug which causes the black level to get worse when it is activated.

I'm sure I remember that the Cinema Smooth was disabled on the PS50C6500 because of the bug which causes the black level to get worse when it is activated.

Can't see any changes myself in it. I played some scenes in District 9 last with it on and with it off but didn't notice change in the black levels.

did you notice any quality difference?

All I noticed was it felt more Cinema like, it felt smoother on pans still slight judder but only if you really look for it. Apart from that it worked really well.

Can't see any changes myself in it. I played some scenes in District 9 last with it on and with it off but didn't notice change in the black levels.

In the review of the Ps50C6900 on HDTVTest it confirms that there is a black level rise when switching cinema smooth on, so i assume that this model would also be affected.

Also, can anyone confirm that Cinema Smooth was not activated as default, and the alteration to the service menu just adds an option to toggle it on or off?

In the review of the Ps50C6900 on HDTVTest it confirms that there is a black level rise when switching cinema smooth on, so i assume that this model would also be affected.

Also, can anyone confirm that Cinema Smooth was not activated as default, and the alteration to the service menu just adds an option to toggle it on or off?

Maybe on their set it did but I certainly didnt notice any. If the black level rises, turn the brightness down a notch or two. Simples :smashin:

No, Its not activated by default, the service menu toggles it on or off.

Enabled this option in the service menu today - can confirm it is not enabled by default and you do have the option to swtich it off.

I see there is an option for Colourspace support which says "Huesat type" in the screenshot via the soundforge link (for a Sammy PN model). Wondering if this would allow the custom option to be enabled, giving this set the more advanced CMS options available on the c7000. Anyone tried this?

Last edited:
Maybe on their set it did but I certainly didnt notice any. If the black level rises, turn the brightness down a notch or two. Simples :smashin:

No, Its not activated by default, the service menu toggles it on or off.

Not quite as simple as turning the brightness down, but thanks for the confirmation.

I gotta be honest in that I see no issue at all with how it currently plays.

Don't think I'll bother with this there must be a reason it's disabled?

I might email samsung and ask why there's no option to enable or disable even though it says on the box about it

Not quite as simple as turning the brightness down, but thanks for the confirmation.

Should be, the brightness controll controls the black level.

Unless something else is causing it. But still if it turns the black level up, surely turning the brightness down will bring them back down :confused:

Last edited:
Should be, the brightness controll controls the black level.

Unless something else is causing it. But still if it turns the black level up, surely turning the brightness down will bring them back down :confused:

I meant that although brightness does control black level it should still be set with a pluge rather than just turn the brightness down until it looks black. I suspect that if you just turned brightness down you would lose some shadow detail.

Take a look at the pictures on this page showing the effect of switching cinema smooth on:-

Samsung C7705 plasma black level at 50Hz vs. 60Hz vs. Cinema Smooth

It is possible that this is not a problem on the 680. If so it makes it even more of a bargain.

I meant that although brightness does control black level it should still be set with a pluge rather than just turn the brightness down until it looks black. I suspect that if you just turned brightness down you would lose some shadow detail.

Take a look at the pictures on this page showing the effect of switching cinema smooth on:-

Samsung C7705 plasma black level at 50Hz vs. 60Hz vs. Cinema Smooth

It is possible that this is not a problem on the 680. If so it makes it even more of a bargain.

If it does rise you can always take a measurement with Cinema Smooth mode on and save those settings.

But I honestly didnt notice any jump in black levels on this set, would be interesting to see if anyone else has.

If it does rise you can always take a measurement with Cinema Smooth mode on and save those settings.

But I honestly didnt notice any jump in black levels on this set, would be interesting to see if anyone else has.

You could, but in that link I posted it suggests that the picture quality takes a universal hit, not just black level, and that new settings can't get it back to the same image quality as with Cinema Smooth off.

It might be that you have to settle for either 24p with a slightly worse picture or 3:2 pulldown with judder.

I've enabled Cinema Smooth.... the 20th Century Fox trailer and then the first 10 seconds of the film (flying above the tree's) does seem smoother. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom