PS5 General Chat

This article sums some stuff up but I really don’t think it’s all about comparison with what Xbox are doing. A large part of it is Sony just aren’t upfront with their customers. Set expectations at the start and explain what you are doing and there isn’t such an issue. But instead they are trying or seemingly trying to sneak stuff through without telling people. That’s never a good thing to do.
Yeah i feel that is a fair assessment.

Like he says, maybe the loyalty of Sony’s fans will get them through. I just dont know how thats a long term plan - slowly it will erode away if you keep chipping.

SOny have loads of loyal fans - many have already put down 449 quid for a machine they don’t know a lot about. MS have got their own thing rolling, and it does look good. There is no doubt what they are doing. Not about them. I am looking forward to getting my PS5 in what, 7 weeks. You have my cash. I’d just like to hear and see more detail about the machine.

Sony need to just lay out the PS5 on the table now. Get Cerny on to do the deep dive, send out units, show the OS, show why MM is worth the upgrade path Sony has gone with. Show what this SSD does that is a generation leap. ETA for GT7. IF GoW is cross gen.

Strange days indeed.

To be honest, Sony gonna do just fine but if you want to compete, when your less successful you have to be better than your competition (or possibly cheaper would work.) I think MS has done better from a weaker position with the Xbox one, its going to be very interesting and I think better for everyone in around 5 years when some big hitter games have been released on both sides. And I am not talking about "winning" as that;s for the playground, this is more having two consoles that trade blows and give choices and force some competition in services, prices etc. I actually think we might have a more even number of console users out there in a few years time, Great - Let Hope MS have Sony give better value/services and Sony makes MS have more Exclusive games. Seems to be working a bit so far. (Also I would bet Sony sell more this generation due to the momentum/brand they already have but it wont be so one sided)

@apolloa and @iwb100

Are you guys getting a PS5 and Xbox Series S or X?

Series X at launch. Will have to get a PS5 before or when HZD Forbidden west comes out. Want to play that game. Could just use my PS4 but in reality I want next gen version. Haven’t even told wife I’ve pre ordered Series X...how can I hide these behemoths?

This article sums some stuff up but I really don’t think it’s all about comparison with what Xbox are doing. A large part of it is Sony just aren’t upfront with their customers. Set expectations at the start and explain what you are doing and there isn’t such an issue. But instead they are trying or seemingly trying to sneak stuff through without telling people. That’s never a good thing to do.

You know you done effed up, when Microsoft can be seen as more consumer-friendly than you. It really is starting to feel like a reverse of the PS4/Xbone launch in 2013 - MS' attempt to kill off the second hand market through a license system comes to mind in particular.

Yeah, Sony didn't have to do anything but sit back last time, MS fumbled around like a drunk Inspector Clouseau, now it seems "the shoe iz on the other 'and" and doing the same thing as you always did looks "last Gen" compared to what MS has chosen, maybe thats the generation change this time - How things are done rather than a 1080p to 4K up res.

Sony didnt like MP3's either and wouldnt move on it and hence no one has heard of walkman anymore but now what an ipod is. This isnt like that really but you know... things change I wonder who is backing the wrong horse this time (or if there is room for both approaches)

Saying this when there 80+ million in on sales for the PS5 in the future, I dont think they will be that concerned.

@apolloa and @iwb100

Are you guys getting a PS5 and Xbox Series S or X?

Undecided to be honest, I will wait to see a lot more of the consoles and games and there features yet before deciding. Need to know how loud the PS5 is, what people think of the controllers, what the UI’s are like, and what the games both new and old really look like, stuff like that. I like games on both consoles.
I would have looked at the PS5 Digital hence my questions before but think Sony will charge a lot for the games for a while.

That model must stick a bit in MS throats when they have to spend $7.5B to give more s**t away for free.

I doubt that for a corporation worth around 1.3 trillion dollars. And I personally have never ever thought of DOOM and Wolfenstein and Skyrim etc as ’s**t’. DOOM Eternal is on Game Pass next month, I think millions would appreciate that.

Series X at launch. Will have to get a PS5 before or when HZD Forbidden west comes out. Want to play that game. Could just use my PS4 but in reality I want next gen version. Haven’t even told wife I’ve pre ordered Series X...how can I hide these behemoths?

Tell her the PS5 is the new router put the Series X in the kitchen.

I doubt that for a corporation worth around 1.3 trillion dollars. And I personally have never ever thought of DOOM and Wolfenstein and Skyrim etc as ’s**t’. DOOM Eternal is on Game Pass next month, I think millions would appreciate that.
Yeah, it really does seem for a few chaps here, if it isn’t on a Sony console its shit.

So since this week, yeah, the narrative from the hardcore seems to be like you’ve spotted here, ’MS have spent all this money to put *shit IP* like Fallout, Doom, Wolf, Elder Scrolls, Starfield, etc. On game pass day one’

I dunno, really tribal. Maybe you like / don’t like those games, but you can’t argue there are some great IP. But in some eyes, now these IP wont be coming to PS Theyturn ‘shit’ overnight

As i say, strange days. Sony will be fine, a roster of good games from WWS will see them right, but overall its going to be a really interesting gen i feel, very different to those that have gone before, but there is without a doubt a disturbance in the FORCE after this week.

I feel some of the fans hubris might end up harming Sony TBH - guess we will see. Few weeks and DF will be blowing it wide open

Last edited:
I’m not reading too much in to anything...bottom line is we have two great new consoles, PS5 is my choice as I’m already in that system for games and subscriptions, however the badge, the net worth and the on going battle means very little to me once a controller is in my hand.

Yeah, it really does seem for a few chaps here, if it isn’t on a Sony console its sh*t.

So since this week, yeah, the narrative from the hardcore seems to be like you’ve spotted here, ’MS have spent all this money to put *sh*t IP* like Fallout, Doom, Wolf, Elder Scrolls, Starfield, etc. On game pass day one’

I dunno, really tribal. Maybe you like / don’t like those games, but you can’t argue there are some great IP. But in some eyes, now these IP wont be coming to PS Theyturn ‘sh*t’ overnight

As i say, strange days. Sony will be fine, its going to be a really cool interesting gen i feel, but there is without a doubt a disturbance in the FORCE after this week

Some seem very defensive, Sony will be fine but I don’t think they will dominate in the same way this time. And that’s a threat to some it seems. They actually have some real competition this time, now considering the games they have made, when they are facing real competition think of the games they will then make!

In the run up to this new generation Xbox are doing everything right. Pro gamer, pro consumer.

Sony are currently being the very opposite. Sitting on their laurels expecting their success with PS4 to float them that same level of success with the PS5.

The total opposite to how the start of the last gen started out.

Tell her the PS5 is the new router put the Series X in the kitchen.

Going to say the Series X is a new Sonos subwoofer. She loves sonos. But no idea what the PS5 can be. She won’t buy a router. Might have to say it’s a new fancy dyson fan...

In the run up to this new generation Xbox are doing everything right. Pro gamer, pro consumer.

Sony are currently being the very opposite. Sitting on their laurels expecting their success with PS4 to float them that same level of success with the PS5.

The total opposite to how the start of the last gen started out.

Yet the PS5 has sold out all preorders and people are clambering for one.

Same with the new Xbox’s. And it’s not an indicator of anything really. You need to give it a couple of years at least to see what the trend is.

And? The initial batches (Of both consoles) will be snapped up by the enthusiasts and folk looking to make a quick buck on eBay so of course they are sold out.

What I would expect to see is Sony taking an initial lead in the race, however with everything MS are throwing at Xbox it'll catch and pass (If Sony remain firmly on their laurels, as the currently are).

I mean its a month and a half (just over) until the PS5 comes out yet very little is known about it.

Does it play 4K discs in Dolby Vision? Is Dolby Atmos supported for 4K discs? What does the UI look like. We know everything about Xbox.

I don't think @SteveeJ was saying MS are giving away shtt games, but saying they spent 7.5b to give away free shtt which is just a saying, not meant in a derogatory manner.

I don't think @SteveeJ was saying MS are giving away shtt games, but saying they spent 7.5b to give away free shtt which is just a saying, not meant in a derogatory manner.
It ain't free when you are paying for it through a subscription service. Thats like saying Microsoft are giving away free Xbox Series Xs (But as long as I give them 450 big ones first) :rotfl:

Some seem very defensive, Sony will be fine but I don’t think they will dominate in the same way this time. And that’s a threat to some it seems. They actually have some real competition this time, now considering the games they have made, when they are facing real competition think of the games they will then make!
I can’t get my head around it. What you say seems, from what i read sometimes, to be a fair assessment. But i dunno. seeing sensible adults call entire catalogs of years old classic gaming IP shit, for no other reason it seems than the news that PS won’t have them now? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah very true. As did the X, but How many units went on preorder them?

Doesn’t mean much unless th volume is know. Ninty have sold out plenty of consoles, only to find there were only 10 available anyway!

I do hope the PS5 sells well, Sony need to move them. They are clearly going for the traditional model, so they need to shift hardware.

Going to say the Series X is a new Sonos subwoofer. She loves sonos. But no idea what the PS5 can be. She won’t buy a router. Might have to say it’s a new fancy dyson fan...

Probably cheaper than a Dyson fan as well!

MS made just over $11 billion from XBox in 2019 so yeah paying $7.5 billion for such a marginal part of their business without a clear, appreciative impact on their revenue and more importantly, margin, seems steep to me.

and here’s another link that repeated Eurogamer story about price of SSD

Xbox Series X MUST-HAVE upgrade will cost you $200 and you can pre-order now

So before you call anything rubbish ask for source.

Well, he said they are ‘giving *shit* away for *free*’

I think you are reaching.

Genius...

Correct. MS buying market after launching the most powerful console and investing in all of the studios they have indicated that MS have major doubts about the games they have coming. One thing we keep hearing is how much more MS have shown than Sony, which is true for most things apart from the most important thing. The games. Not PC mock ups, actually running on their consoles. Hopefully MS show something truly remarkable to justify their claims but if they are as strong as they make out why all the stunts? Until they show it it’s like “the cloud” all over again for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom