PS5 General Chat

Be even better if the end user didn't have to dismantle them and sort the problem in the first place...

Yea but I guess all tech has a certain failure/problem rate. Was annoying though.
Link below of before and after. Camera makes dust on stand worse - we don’t live in a dust bowl (honest) and the inside of the machine was fairly dust free :p

Last edited:
Yea but I guess all tech has a certain failure/problem rate. Was annoying though.
Link below of before and after. Camera makes dust on stand worse - we don’t live in a dust bowl (honest) and the inside of the machine was fairly dust free :p

Dear Lord! Sounds like you've got the hoover going in the background!!

Just read an article on the hdmi port update and the new tech it supports and that my godamn TV only has the previous hdmi... Bloody cost me £2300 only about 3yrs ago

Just read an article on the hdmi port update and the new tech it supports and that my godamn TV only has the previous hdmi... Bloody cost me £2300 only about 3yrs ago
If you mean HDMI 2.1
LG are the only tv manufacturer who has it across there range for the last 2 years (OLED), so your tv from 3 years wouldn’t have the capability.?

what does that mean practically? I have a 2017 Sony XE90. Not sure what HDMI ports they have though obviously not these new ones. What would I miss out on i bought the PS5 without a new tv? higher (than 60fps) frame rates?

S
what does that mean practically? I have a 2017 Sony XE90. Not sure what HDMI ports they have though obviously not these new ones. What would I miss out on i bought the PS5 without a new tv? higher (than 60fps) frame rates?
Simple answer no.

Not aimed at you Robothamster. This video is awful, no real point to it and no quality information in it whatsoever and he even contradicts his own viewpoint 😂

After watching this video nobody should be excited about anything in the future coming up, there’s no point, enjoy what you have now just, but don’t be excited based on paper specs or accept any of the demos you’ve seen as apparently nobody knows what these consoles are capable of until they release and that may get held back cause of Covid-19; well you know, except that we do have an idea, well the minimum anyway based on the demos and briefings some of which he actually showed in his own video 😂

Not aimed at you Robothamster. This video is awful, no real point to it and no quality information in it whatsoever and he even contradicts his own viewpoint 😂
I agree it's a bad video, but the main takeaway from it is we shouldn't get too hung up on numbers and specs, but rather wait to see what the devs manage to do with the systems.

I agree it's a bad video, but the main takeaway from it is we shouldn't get too hung up on numbers and specs, but rather wait to see what the devs manage to do with the systems.

Are you insane? That's what everyone loves doing best! :D

I really need some gameplay footage and a release date. All the gossip has gone beyond the ridiculous for me now.

Are you insane? That's what everyone loves doing best! :D

I really need some gameplay footage and a release date. All the gossip has gone beyond the ridiculous for me now.
I want too see what the damn thing looks like considering what’s going on in the world, wish Sony would release some images.!

Wouldn't worry about it as it’s not many extra features and I can’t see games running at 120fps any time soon if at all which requires HDMI 2.1

I bought my Panasonic OLED last year, 2019 model, and knew it didn’t have HDMI 2.1 but I don’t think it’s really something required atm.

I want a new tv for next generation so i will get an one with HDMI 2.1 wont get an 8k one. I just want VRR 4k120 and earc

Last edited:
I think I’d be happy with 4K 60fps on the PS5. Not sure i’d feel the need to upgrade the tv to an 8k HDMI 2.1 set - as most content I’d watch outside of gaming would be 1080p or 4K blu rays (less so). Can’t imagine we’d go from a generation of largely missing 4k and struggling at 30-60fps to suddenly hitting 8k 60fps or 4k 120fps. Can’t see it. So I think (based admittedly on zero research on any of this) my tv’s ability to handle 4k 60fps would be enough. Is that generally right?

If you happy with your current tv and 4k60 thats fine But if you are in the market for a new tv then why not get one with HDMI 2.1

If you happy with your current tv and 4k60 thats fine But if you are in the market for a new tv then why not get one with HDMI 2.1

Yes, happy enough for now as it took a few sets to get one i was happy with to replace my Panasonic plasma. My priorities for a new tv would be avoiding backlight bleed, vertical banding, dirty screen effect, clouding, excessive perception of motion blur (no easy feat from my last experience - couldnt get an Oled as my tv had to be max 50” for the space). But yes, if i were to buy a a new set, which given how scarring my last experience was I’m not looking to do, I’d go for the new HDMI standard. I’d still be concerned about upscaling capabilities from blu ray to 8k (if that becomes the new standard and 4k screens unavailable) and whether that still looks sharp on an 8k screen.

Yes if you were looking for a new TV it makes sense to check out the 2.1 options, but largely I think it's folly to think it will be a necessity for the PS5. Certainly nothing to lose sleep over if you don't have one.

And any 8K talk is just nonsense. Think about that for the "next" generation.

I want too see what the damn thing looks like considering what’s going on in the world, wish Sony would release some images.!

I don't care what it looks like, it'll be shut away in a cupboard at mine :D

But I do want to know about a release date. I will say that the longer it trundles on without news on one, the less likely I think it will be that we'll see it this side of Christmas.

Yes if you were looking for a new TV it makes sense to check out the 2.1 options, but largely I think it's folly to think it will be a necessity for the PS5. Certainly nothing to lose sleep over if you don't have one.

And any 8K talk is just nonsense. Think about that for the "next" generation.

But I do want to know about a release date. I will say that the longer it trundles on without news on one, the less likely I think it will be that we'll see it this side of Christmas.

I will be changing my Living Room TV at some point as it’s a 4yr old LCD (4K non-HDR) but not worth getting anything until micro LED or maybe those full 1:1 backlit LCDs come out.
After having OLED I definitely couldn’t live with the current LCD technology and the living room TV does get some abuse with paused pictures and banners etc... (which my OLED doesn’t and is purely used for movies, 4K stuff and gaming).

Agreed, paper numbers are paper numbers, however they do give a representation of what can reasonably be expected as the consoles are essentially PC’s now using the same tech, nothing really proprietary (like the PS3 Cell CPU) to give secret sauce implication. With it all going crossplay the consoles and pc won’t have much difference to keep development costs down which is a great move.

Hopefully after the 2nd year on the market when 3rd parties make a game exclusively developed for the new consoles and not held back by the base PS4 & XB1 we will see a big step up in quality.

Just read the Digital Foundry article on Xbox Series X form factor and realised that I’m definitely not buying it.

It’s 300 x 150 x 150 mm and will not fit in the TV stand in my living room nor the entertainment unit in our “media room” (aka the playroom but given my youngest is now 16 ....). Seriously, what were they thinking?

My Mrs certainly ain’t standing for a tower unit standing next to the TV.

[/QUOTE]

Each to there own but for me it will be on display no way I would keep it in a cupboard unless it was well ventilated, so hoping it’s aesthetically pleasing...;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom