PS5 General Chat

My priorities for a new tv would be avoiding backlight bleed, vertical banding, dirty screen effect, clouding, excessive perception of motion blur (no easy feat from my last experience - couldnt get an Oled as my tv had to be max 50” for the space).
LG should be releasing 48" OLED TVs this year.

@zt1903 - What will you do if the PS5 is a similar shape (unlikely I know) but lets pretend ? Cooling is going to be a big factor on the new hardware it could happen.

Just read the Digital Foundry article on Xbox Series X form factor and realised that I’m definitely not buying it.

It’s 300 x 150 x 150 mm and will not fit in the TV stand in my living room nor the entertainment unit in our “media room” (aka the playroom but given my youngest is now 16 ....). Seriously, what were they thinking?

My Mrs certainly ain’t standing for a tower unit standing next to the TV.

I am it will got on top of the tv unit behind the tv

zt the Xbox Series X is only 11.9 inches wide on its side and 6 inches tall and 6 inches deep.I don’t have a massive av unit but it fits in easy with room to spare.Thats not big for a games console.You must have a tiny stand for your tv.Mine.Put it at the side like you’d have a sub.

@zt1903 - What will you do if the PS5 is a similar shape (unlikely I know) but lets pretend ? Cooling is going to be a big factor on the new hardware it could happen.

Will definitely have to be bigger than PS4 if they want silent cooling which would mean larger but slower fans similar to the XsX.

I’d prefer a smaller unit but whatever the size I’ll make room fit it somewhere even if on the floor.

zt the Xbox Series X is only 11.9 inches wide on its side and 6 inches tall and 6 inches deep.I don’t have a massive av unit but it fits in easy with room to spare.Thats not big for a games console.You must have a tiny stand for your tv.Mine.Put it at the side like you’d have a sub.
15 cm is pretty tall for a games console in comparison an xbox one S is 6.5 cam and a ps4 pro is 5.5. the shelves in my tv unit are 14 cm so it wont fit in my tv unit hence it will now go on top

It is bloody big for console. It's double the height of One X and PS4 which are 60 and 55 mm respectively.

I have this TV stand, it fits all other boxes comfortably.

I’ll put it on its side. That way it’s no taller than my AV Receiver so will sit alongside that on the bottom shelf of an open AV Rack :)

Then I’d sadly stick with PS4. I’m not redoing the living room for a console.

I havent ruled out ripping my tv unit apart and altering it so the shelf height can be altered

Then I’d sadly stick with PS4. I’m not redoing the living room for a console.
Come on ZT you’ve been championing the PS5 in this thread in a positive way.
You seriously telling me you wouldn’t get one due too it’s potential size because your wife might not agree?
Post an image if possible of your set up? Might help to understand your dilemma..!

Come on ZT you’ve been championing the PS5 in this thread in a positive way.
You seriously telling me you wouldn’t get one due too it’s potential size because your wife might not agree?
Post an image if possible of your set up? Might help to understand your dilemma..!

If you met my wife you’d understand 😛

I’ll post a pic later but I have this combination of units.

TV is a Sony 65 AG8 which has only a cm or so clearance either side. Unit is basically wall to wall at that end of the room. The three slots are filled with a PS4 Pro, Sky Q box and a Blu-Ray player.

But regardless, I don’t expect the PS5 to be a stupid size.

Last edited:
I’m sure you’ll find a way to fit it in especially when you see the first gameplay.Sony might do a slimmer console height wise like the PS4 Pro with an extra tier but I’ve a feeling due to cooling issues it’ll be a similar size to the Series X although I think Sony won’t copy Microsoft so you may be ok.

In the current climate it's almost guaranteed we won't see the new consoles till Late 2021.

The thought of spending £700+ on a console with 3 games and PSN subscription is going to be far from people's mind, including myself by the end of the year.

The economy can't sustain itself in a lockdown situation continuously.

In the current climate it's almost guaranteed we won't see the new consoles till Late 2021.

The thought of spending £700+ on a console with 3 games and PSN subscription is going to be far from people's mind, including myself by the end of the year.

According to Sony, the PS5 is still on target for a 2020 holiday release, whether this will continue to be the case is another matter.

has there been any mention re. PS5 specs whether it will include dolby vision or HDR10+?

I’m sure you’ll find a way to fit it in especially when you see the first gameplay.Sony might do a slimmer console height wise like the PS4 Pro with an extra tier but I’ve a feeling due to cooling issues it’ll be a similar size to the Series X although I think Sony won’t copy Microsoft so you may be ok.

I don't expect a problem. I honestly will be stunned if Sony produce a box that is more than 6 inches high.

Although there may obviously be delays, neither company would want that. The more likely scenario is they launch with limited stock kevels compared to original expectaions. If so the impact may be somewhat reduced because as you rightly say, many peoples financial situation will change and they may no longer have the expendable income to buy one this year anyway.

I’m still trying to find a Nintendo Switch, none in stock anywhere!
Next generation either muted release this holiday or March 2021 I think. All depends if things are back to normal by June but I’m doubting that.

The PS5 will do 5.1 right?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom