PS5 General Chat

Which begs the question, if the ps5's SSD isn't going to make much difference compared to the xbox one series x, why did they bother, just buy a cheaper slower one and get a beefier gpu/cpu.
There must be a reason why they think this SSD will make a difference. We will find out this year I'm sure.
I imagine 3rd party games will be better on the xbox, but first party games will be utilised properly on the ps5 tech

That's a reasonable assumption. You have to remember that Sony having seen the MS specs weren't going to focus on the things they're weaker on. By the same token you could ask why MS use fixed clock speeds and want to emphasis that - probably because they know it widens their advantage over PS5 performance.

The thing with an SSD is it makes a big difference in certain and specific situations - obviously loading across the board and steaming assets but not in every game. And many have said there are diminishing returns with speed of I/O throughput. We'll see in fullness of time but a lot of spin going on right now. Peopl

The performance advantage of the XsX is not necessarily as clear cut as the headlines would suggest. Xbox has a raw power advantage of about 18%, that's clear. However, there are many examples where a lower Tflop card outperforms a higher one and we just don't have enough info yet to know what the full story is here. There's a lot of customisation in these architectures.

As others have said these consoles have quite different design principles and we haven't seen all the details yet. We know that PS5 is "narrow and fast" whilst the XSX is "wide and slow" and this, for example, gives PS5 a 22% advantage on Rasterization and ROPs. However, XSX has an 18% advantage on TMUs and Shader processors.

There's still a lot to know. We need to see games.

Which begs the question, if the ps5's SSD isn't going to make much difference compared to the xbox one series x, why did they bother, just buy a cheaper slower one and get a beefier gpu/cpu.
There must be a reason why they think this SSD will make a difference. We will find out this year I'm sure.
I imagine 3rd party games will be better on the xbox, but first party games will be utilised properly on the ps5 tech

As an aside, the size of drive on these consoles will be too small for many of us. It is worth noting that Xbox solution for SSD expansion is proprietary whilst PS5 has an expansion bay that can take any licensed drive. There aren't yet any drives on the market that are fast enough to be suitable for PS5 but these are expected this year.

As an aside, the size of drive on these consoles will be too small for many of us. It is worth noting that Xbox solution for SSD expansion is proprietary whilst PS5 has an expansion bay that can take any licensed drive. There aren't yet any drives on the market that are fast enough to be suitable for PS5 but these are expected this year.

Exactly I have over 3TB of games on my PS4 at the moment. I guess most I will just have on my current external SSD hooked onto the PS5 but might want to put a few PS4 games I play a lot onto the internal if it has any big benefits.

I don't expect I'll be buying many PS5 games in the first few years anyway. I think I will definitely get the added SSD for the PS5 a soon as they are available.

Couple of interesting videos:

This one post-Cerny presentation

This one is from a couple of months ago.

The performance advantage of the XsX is not necessarily as clear cut as the headlines would suggest. Xbox has a raw power advantage of about 18%, that's clear. However, there are many examples where a lower Tflop card outperforms a higher one and we just don't have enough info yet to know what the full story is here. There's a lot of customisation in these architectures.

As others have said these consoles have quite different design principles and we haven't seen all the details yet. We know that PS5 is "narrow and fast" whilst the XSX is "wide and slow" and this, for example, gives PS5 a 22% advantage on Rasterization and ROPs. However, XSX has an 18% advantage on TMUs and Shader processors.

There's still a lot to know. We need to see games.

Yep its going to be even wider. Mark my words. MS have outlined a load of their GPU efficiencies. Sony hasn't. The assumption that Sony can claw back the gap (which is wider than their theoretical max Tflop sum suggests given their clocks strategy) is flawed unless you think MS are neglecting things like VRS - which we know they are not - and we have no indication from Sony yet.

this got boring fast

Ah, iwb v zt is back on the menu boys, must be all this self isolation ;)

Definitely not. I have better things to do with all this time.

Also, VRS is an RDNA2 feature and available to both chips

Last edited:
It's been a while, hasn't it? :lesson:
When did PS4/Xbone release - about then wasn't it? ;)

The Digital Foundry video mentioned Star Citizen as a game which used fast SSD (data pushng) to design/create worlds differently, and only possible with such hardware.
Be interesting if PS5 gets Star Citizen and XSX cant handle it, even with its bigger flops.
Another thing i noted from the DF video was the number of times they said things like "innovative solution" or "different approach", which led to DF seemingly being very positive about the overall PS5 system.

Watched that GDC Spider-Man presentation and when they explained how they had to work to stream the city data and textures you can definitely see how super fast SSD can be a game changer.
They actually commented on the limitations with streaming data with the current gen. great video and worth a watch if you haven’t seen it.

Definitely not. I have better things to do with all this time.

Also, VRS is an RDNA2 feature and available to both chips

It’s a hardware supported feature of RDNA2 cards but we are taking custom APUs. Sony haven’t actually detailed any RDNA2 features...at all.

And perhaps you could explain why the Xbox One being narrower and faster than the PS4 didn’t manage to compensate for the CU differential?

This forum will get very boring if we just PM each other. If you don’t like the discussion don’t subscribe to it.

This forum will get very boring if we just PM each other. If you don’t like the discussion don’t subscribe to it.
Thanks for the tip there but, No, the forum gets VERY boring when its the same sh*te as last gen. I think most here will agree they don't want to read it. If you, on the other hand, love that rubbish, then off you pop to NEOGAF.

Thanks for the tip there but, No, the forum gets VERY boring when its the same sh*te as last gen. I think most here will agree they don't want to read it. If you, on the other hand, love that rubbish, then off you pop to NEOGAF.

Or even better resetera 🤪

Anyway, FWIW I’m not engaging on this stuff and have put iwb on ignore for now. I won’t be responding directly to him.

Will continue to share anything interesting I see, will try and steer clear of too much comparison stuff, although an element of this is probably unavoidable.

Both PS5 and Xbox series X will be great machines.
Im totally unbiased I have Sony and Xbox now but have you noticed it’s only Sony developers that are singing the praises of the PS5 like Insomaniac and Naughty dog so they will never known how the X series X works and what they can get out of it as they are Sony people so it’s totally biased.Sony games will look amazing but I think third party titles will get extra polish on the series X

Im totally unbiased I have Sony and Xbox now but have you noticed it’s only Sony developers that are singing the praises of the PS5 like Insomaniac and Naughty dog so they will never known how the X series X works and what they can get out of it as they are Sony people so it’s totally biased.Sony games will look amazing but I think third party titles will get extra polish on the series X

It’s 3rd party dev too tbh.

Im totally unbiased I have Sony and Xbox now but have you noticed it’s only Sony developers that are singing the praises of the PS5 like Insomaniac and Naughty dog ....
Outside of the first-parties, Gearbox’s Randy Pitchford said he was “very excited about that I/O”, while the Founder and CTO of The Order 1886 developer, Ready at Dawn, offered significant praise, calling the PS5 “one of the most revolutionary, inspired home consoles ever designed”.
Andrea Pessino also said he didn’t want to encourage or participate in “silly console wars” and that he loves “all gaming platforms” generally. He felt it important to point out that “A console is more than a sum of specs” and that “incremental hardware improvements are important, but abstractions, APIs, integration, and most of all *architecture* are even more so. That’s where the biggest innovations are to come in this age of diminishing returns.”For this reason, he says “focusing on metrics is missing the big picture. I am excited about the PS5 because I think many smart decisions were made that will enable devs to design in new ways, *especially* for expansive games. I was not making a comparison, just sharing my optimism.”

Massive thanks to @tonyk79 and @silvercue - opened up the Pro last night. Wasn't much dust in fairness but redid the thermal paste while it was in bits. Clearly that was the issue as the difference is absolutely massive. Air exiting the console is much cooler now and as a test, I left the CoD Warzone menu running for a period of time (which would always have triggered the fans into take off mode) and the fans never changed tone from their initial barely audible tone!

Confident these machines can run quieter after all now!!

Be even better if the end user didn't have to dismantle them and sort the problem in the first place...

Hmm i don't think i made any sort of emotive statement, merely how the platforms have currently messaged their approach. No statements yet on pricing unless i missed something?

Microsoft = no games specifically made for SeriesX, all games compatible with XboxOne. Ergo a next-gen platform being limited by the previous gen's hardware.

Sony = PS5 specific games, designed and utilisng the full 9flops etc, which could not run on PS4 and will not be cross-gen. PS4 games on PS5 (if BC is given). Cross-gen games play on PS5 (obviously).

Cracks me up when people say such things. Its about scaleability. Obviously the likes of Halo Infinite will be a world apart from base XBO version with all the bells and whistles and settings to the max, same as Forza 8. They will be showcase games utilising the full hardware specs, SSD the lot.

Most launch games will have been i development ages anyway, probably since before final hardware finalised, hence focus on current systems also. Any specific XSX only games wouldn't likely be ready for launch anyway, hence its a mute point.

Be even better if the end user didn't have to dismantle them and sort the problem in the first place...
I've had absolutely no issues with mine (I have 2 Pro's). One was day one. The other, is now essentially new after I had a I had a PS4 refunded under warranty recently for a totally different issue.

Both are / were in clean, pet free environments, which are regularly dusted and vacuumed, have adequate ventilation (on the TV stands by the side of the sound bars).

The only length I have ever gone to (with my PS4 and Pro) is to clean out the fans with compressed air, tickle with a soft brush, more air, run the unit for a short while, then again, clean the fans and the vents, this time with air only. Roughly once a year has been enough, and I found very little to clean when this task was undertaken.

I'm maybe just very lucky.

Cracks me up when people say such things. Its about scaleability. Obviously the likes of Halo Infinite will be a world apart from base XBO version with all the bells and whistles and settings to the max, same as Forza 8. They will be showcase games utilising the full hardware specs, SSD the lot.

Most launch games will have been i development ages anyway, probably since before final hardware finalised, hence focus on current systems also. Any specific XSX only games wouldn't likely be ready for launch anyway, hence its a mute point.

Phil Spencer has already said this.

And it's moot ;) :p

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom