PS5 General Chat

Only about 10 short months and we’ll all have our hands on a lovely new console. I highly doubt I’d go for anything other than a PS.

I wouldn't get excited about the PS5 just yet.

The gaming world can and will change.

Whilst I enjoy reading the rumours as much as the next guy one would do well to remember that Sony generally runs a tight non-leaky ship and there is no track record of accurate leaks by “insiders”. I take it all with a pinch of salt.

Whilst I enjoy reading the rumours as much as the next guy one would do well to remember that Sony generally runs a tight non-leaky ship and there is no track record of accurate leaks by “insiders”. I take it all with a pinch of salt.

Couldn’t agree more, these You Tube idiots have been all over the made up leaks, especially the one claiming the consoles power and technical specifications despite the fact the leak also claimed the PS5 would not have ray tracing built in... despite the fact Sony has claimed it will, twice now, once from Cerney and then again at CES by the head of Sony Interactive Entertainment, a lot of these you tubers have no clue about marketing or hardware or system architecture yet carry on like experts spouting rubbish believing anything they see as an apparent ‘leak’.

I think we will know soon enough the actual facts, the only concluding evidence is this event they are holding from January to February, and that next month a lot of Sony executives will be at this event at the same time. Plus they announced the PS4 in February, although they didn’t reveal the price and launch date till E3 if I remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just around 10 brief months and we'll all have our hands on a flawless new reassure. I exceptionally question I'd go for something besides a PS.I wouldn't get amped up for the PS5 right now.

Couldn’t agree more, these You Tune idiots have been all over the made up leaks, especially the one claiming the consoles power and technical specifications despite the fact the leak also claimed the PS5 would not have ray tracing built in... despite the fact Sony has come first it will, twice now, once from Cerney and then again at CES by the head of Sony Interactive Entertainment, a lot of these you tubers have no clue about marketing or hardware or system architecture yet carry on like experts spouting rubbish believing anything they see as an apparent ‘leak’.

I think we will know soon enough the actual facts, the only concluding evidence is this event they are holding from January to February, and that next month a lot of Sony executives will be at this event at the same time. Plus they announced the PS4 in February, although they didn’t reveal the price and launch date till E3 if I remember.
There are good YouTubers and there are bad. Some understand about the hardware but most don't and are just parroting web articles they've read without understanding it. The good YouTubers I've seen don't say the PS5 doesn't have Ray Tracing, they're speculating why it wasn't mentioned in the github test data and what method Sony could be using.

Possible answers for that are that it's on the chip and is the same AMD solution that MS will use but it just wasn't part of that particular test. Other possibility is that they're using a separate chip they've either developed themselves or had developed by someone else (I've seen NVIDEA mentioned). If anyone claims that the PS5 doesn't have RT then you know they don't know what they're on about and close the video down and go find a YouYuber that's more informed in their speculation, 'cause that's all it is at the moment, pure speculation.

There are good YouTubers and there are bad. Some understand about the hardware but most don't and are just parroting web articles they've read without understanding it. The good YouTubers I've seen don't say the PS5 doesn't have Ray Tracing, they're speculating why it wasn't mentioned in the github test data and what method Sony could be using.

Possible answers for that are that it's on the chip and is the same AMD solution that MS will use but it just wasn't part of that particular test. Other possibility is that they're using a separate chip they've either developed themselves or had developed by someone else (I've seen NVIDEA mentioned). If anyone claims that the PS5 doesn't have RT then you know they don't know what they're on about and close the video down and go find a YouYuber that's more informed in their speculation, 'cause that's all it is at the moment, pure speculation.

Exactly. Even the best YouTubers are speculating. And even in the best cases they are still making educated guesses, based on assumptions and sketchy data.

Last time round I didn't particularly get involved in these discussions and till we had confirmed specs, and I'm doing the same this time.

Exactly. Even the best YouTubers are speculating. And even in the best cases they are still making educated guesses, based on assumptions and sketchy data.

Last time round I didn't particularly get involved in these discussions and till we had confirmed specs, and I'm doing the same this time.
I like the speculation as it makes you think of new features that could be implemented. The SSDs, ray tracing etc. with these new features there's the possibility that we may see a real difference in the games over and above the diminishing returns that higher processing power gives. I'm particularly excited about the SSDs, game loading has been regressing recently back to my C64 days when you loaded by tape!

I tend to play multiplayer shooters mainly though (Destiny and Battlefield) and what I don't know is how much of the wait time is down to loading and how much is network based (loading everyone into a gaming server or 'instance'). Loading the game in the first place should be a lot quicker but I'll be interested to see if the wait between rounds has decreased as well (won't know that until there's a multiplayer game that's exclusively next gen I guess, BFV and Destiny on Xbox Series X will still be against One S and One X players that have regular HDs).

Talk of the dualshock (4?) working with ps5 - really hope the headsets do too! That bloomin' platinum one was pricey!

Sony has a leak or someone used paint...

dgSZgN7hsnPH5hNHhnGTq6-1200-80.jpg

Sony has a leak or someone used paint...

View attachment 1246520

If it’s true then the underneath triggers will be a nice addition. On Xbox you have to buy an Elite controller to get these for a lot of money. You get four on the Elite, but I personally found that two is the sweet spot and took off the other two never to be used again.

I would be more interested in the extra buttons/controllers, if they were actually EXTRA, rather than just having it act as one thats there already.

Games have so many convoluted controls these days (Witcher 3 for example) that being able to add and map these as extra would be great.

Ditto on extra buttons, eg: L4 R4 but I tried an add-on thingy which let you map button-presses to the extra buttons, which was good for games requiring a lot of say Triangle+Square at the same time.

Last edited:
If it’s true then the underneath triggers will be a nice addition. On Xbox you have to buy an Elite controller to get these for a lot of money. You get four on the Elite, but I personally found that two is the sweet spot and took off the other two never to be used again.

I don't mean to ask, but do you have both the Xbox One and the PS4?

I don't mean to ask, but do you have both the Xbox One and the PS4?
No, had one pre-ordered a long time ago but close to release decided I only had the time for one console and went Xbox. I’ll probably get the Series X this time round as well, but you never know, MS might stuff it up again and Sony may have the better system.

No, had one pre-ordered a long time ago but close to release decided I only had the time for one console and went Xbox. I’ll probably get the Series X this time round as well, but you never know, MS might stuff it up again and Sony may have the better system.
I'm not sure people would switch even if MS did stuff it up. I imagine people like yourself are heavily invested in the Microsoft eco system so wouldn't want to just throw all that away.

I can't see many people switching over at all now.

I'm not sure people would switch even if MS did stuff it up. I imagine people like yourself are heavily invested in the Microsoft eco system so wouldn't want to just throw all that away.

You're probably right. I went digital at the beginning of this generation so will probably stick with Xbox. Some people have a main console that they play the exclusives and multi-plats on and then might pick up the other just for the exclusives at a later date when it's gone through a price drop. That would probably be when I'd pick up a PS5. If Sony are doing full BC that would be great for me as I could then pick up the excellent exclusives from the PS4 that I've missed as well.

I dunno. MS have made it easier to switch. Gamepass - you have a huge collection of games, but your commitment is just a monthly sub. Fancy switching to PS for a bit? Ditch the sub and you've lost zero investment and can pick it up as and when you fancy. And whilst you're gone the sub will have all 1st party games added to it - so no fomo.

Hehe, yeah, lets keep switching between £400+ machines. Oh look, latest GoW is on Gamepass / PSNow, will just grab a series X or PS5, no worries ;)

Edit: I joke, but I know there's people out there flush enough to do just that..

I think the idea was just to swap subs from MS to PS and vice versa, not to be selling and buying new machines each time :)

Hehe, yeah, lets keep switching between £400+ machines. Oh look, latest GoW is on Gamepass / PSNow, will just grab a series X or PS5, no worries ;)

Edit: I joke, but I know there's people out there flush enough to do just that..

I meant - say you had a one X. You fancied getting a PS5 for next gen but still wanted to play Xbox exclusives - now normally you might say "well I'm not paying £50 a go to play on older hardware" now you don't have to. Just sub for a month to play them then unsub.

In a way you're far less tied to their hardware than ever. You could play them on PC or even on your phone.

Indeed, but this is a next gen console thread, not a Netflix for Gaming thread, hence my poor attempt at a joke. Subscription services can offer great value but also have limitations and while they may help a new gamer to a new platform, I think this is a different topic for a different thread..

Agree If someone hasnt switched over from xbox to PlayStation this generation they never will. At launch ps4 was the cheaper and the more powerful console and has delivered excellent exclusives. sony nailed it Microsoft dropped the ball big time.

Theres very little Sony could have done better and Microsoft couldnt have done worse

4chan leaked some information but it was mostly ignored because they suck. It turns out one part of the leak was true...

1.) The PS5 will be revealed at a PlayStation Meeting event for the press/media on February 5, 2020.

2.) The PlayStation Meeting will be held at Sony Hall in New York City.

3.) At the PlayStation Meeting the console's design, controller, UI/home screen, specs and features will be revealed.

4.) The PlayStation 5 will be backwards compatible with all PS4 games.

5.) The PS5 will release, worldwide, in October 2020.

6.) The Sony PS5 will cost $499 USD / £449 UK / €449 EU / ¥54,999 JP.

7.) PlayStation 5 specs will be almost on par with Xbox Series X, which will cost $100 more at launch.

8.) Pre-orders for the PS5 will go live after the event on February 5.

9.) Gran Turismo 7, MLB The Show 21, Demon Souls Remastered, Godfall and Legendz are some of the PS5's launch titles.

10.) The PlayStation 5's new slogan, as well as for the brand as a whole, is "IT'S TIME TO PLAY."

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom