PS5

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Im surprised this forum hasn’t burnt into my iPhone :)

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
I must just be lucky with my OLED then. Heavy use for 3 years, no problem... sky sports news every day, for a bit and a bit longer on the weekend. Lots of YouTube with the kids as well as my use, and almost exclusively HDR gaming probably averaging out at a couple of hours a day over that timeframe (many longer sessions, but we do have time away 🙃)

Not a sniff of burn in.

By the way, you can’t compare phones with the protection in modern day panels. All I can say is, that correctly set up (god knows what settings those with burnt screens are using), a modern LG takes some breaking. Mine’s 3 generations old now. The newer panels have a lot of technology protecting against this.

Q: How many witnessing this burn in 1st hand have seen it on LG *panels* sorry, edit, LG sets?

Last edited:

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
I guess burn in on OLED is a 'thing' and you just have to be mindful of it ALL the time. I was with my Panny plasma and I never got any burn-in on that. But I always had to be mindful of it which, for me, kind of spoils the enjoyment.

I certainly wouldn't want to be owning a TV and disabling HDR to avoid burn-in?

The only trade off for me with my new TV was blooming. But I've installed LED strips around the back of the TV and it pretty much eliminates it and gives greater contrast. I like the glow around the TV anyway and it softens everything. Don't like watching in total darkness.

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
Oh god... I think this is going to turn into one of those subjects where unless you post a picture of an OLED TV with burn-in, that you've seen yourself, with you in the picture, holding up your passport, with a newspaper with the date on it...then nobody is going to believe you.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Oh god... I think this is going to turn into one of those subjects where unless you post a picture of an OLED TV with burn-in, that you've seen yourself, with you in the picture, holding up your passport, with a newspaper with the date on it...then nobody is going to believe you.
No, not at all... all I can say is it’s surprising and give my own personal experience.

Assume after only 6 months, your mate had his replaced?

Last edited:

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Had an E series oled for 3 years, died from another issue but not burn in.
I don’t put any limits on my C9 and always seek out UHD/HDR content. It is probably never on for more than 3-5 hrs per day mind you.
Can’t wait to play new PS5 content on it.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
No, not at all... all I can say is it’s surprising and give my own personal experience.

Assume after only 6 months, your mate had his replaced?
Had mine 3 and a half years and no burn in. But some of the early 2016 sets had an issue where they burned in far quicker than they should be able to. They revised the panels over time.

Also sky sports news banner is an absolute killer because it’s fully saturated yellow...one of the danger colours for OLEDs, it scrolls so defeats the OLED in built dimming protection algorithm...it’s just bad news.

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
I guess burn in on OLED is a 'thing' and you just have to be mindful of it ALL the time. I was with my Panny plasma and I never got any burn-in on that. But I always had to be mindful of it which, for me, kind of spoils the enjoyment.

I certainly wouldn't want to be owning a TV and disabling HDR to avoid burn-in?

The only trade off for me with my new TV was blooming. But I've installed LED strips around the back of the TV and it pretty much eliminates it and gives greater contrast. I like the glow around the TV anyway and it softens everything. Don't like watching in total darkness.
I have 2 and I don’t even think about it? No sign of any problems 1 is 3 years old....everyday viewing and the other is 2 years old for gaming and 4k films......not a single issue. It only spoils your enjoyment if you make your mind up that it’s a definite issue......which it isn’t unless you have a banner on for 24 hours.....but who would do that?

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
...it’s just bad news.
It’s Sports News, but to be fair, as a Newcastle fan, your comment was scarily accurate.

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
Did LG refund them?
The shop they bought it from took it back and allowed them to choose a new TV. So they went for LED. This was a couple of years back... actually it was 2017 I think?

Sounds like the tech has been improved though judging by yours and others comments so it's good it's been addressed.

zt1903

Distinguished Member
Expected lifetime (degradation to 50% brightness) for OLED is 100,000 hours which is circa 11 years of non-stop use. Given most of us use our TVs for fewer than 24 hours a day I’m really not that concerned.

Crafty

2 years on my OLED, no burn in with console and pc use too. I think the tech around OLED has improved from the early ones.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Expected lifetime (degradation to 50% brightness) for OLED is 100,000 hours which is circa 11 years of non-stop use. Given most of us use our TVs for fewer than 24 hours a day I’m really not that concerned.
That stat is completely meaningless in terms of OLED burn in mechanisms...

addyb

Distinguished Member
Don't buy an oled. My mate bought one and within minutes it fell off the wall and decapitated his French Bulldog.

RIP Cornelius Rupert jr III

Goooner

Distinguished Member
2 years on my OLED, no burn in with console and pc use too. I think the tech around OLED has improved from the early ones.
Had my C8 just under two years, play plenty of console, watch plenty of football with the logos and stuff, on for several hours a day. Not a hint of burn in.

Just had the panel replaced this week for a stuck pixel, so I’m good for at least another couple of years of worry-free gaming and tv watching I reckon 😀

mudshark

Distinguished Member
Don't buy an oled. My mate bought one and within minutes it fell off the wall and decapitated his French Bulldog.

RIP Cornelius Rupert jr III
Thats not something you read every day :rotfl:

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Got an OLED, have had plasmas in the past and never worried at all. Unless you watch the same news channels or play only one game then it’s very minimal. Of course plasma burn in is very different from OLED pixel ageing but essentially it can be the similar watching habits that causes them, but modern ones have very little chance of it happening.
I have several LCDs including a nice 65” 4K one and not one can hold a candle to the OLED, the image quality in that TV is on another level. Don’t think I could ever go back to LCD for gaming or movies.

LotusElan

No burn-in issues with OLED here either (yet!?).

We never had a problem with burn-in on our plasma - temporary image retention yes, but that always went with a little bit of use.

Also no image-related problems with any of our LCD TVs.

And for the older readers we never had any real problems with our various CRT sets over the years. Again some temporary image retention (sometimes briefly visible when the TV was switched off; good old phosphorescence...!) but nothing that was long term.

I wouldn't swap the potential "risks" associated with our OLED TV to forego the brilliant picture quality and excellent viewing angles.

Maybe we've just been lucky with our TVs. We've had other failures (and warranty fixes) but never anything that was down to the screen being permanently affected.

Dazimus

Distinguished Member
Maybe the TV talk can go in the TV thread?

I keep thinking there’s some new posts about the console or games but it turns out it’s all just TV talk 😂

I’m fully expecting to get all kinds of abuse now 😁

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Sean Connery: James Bond icon dies aged 90
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett