PS5

OldSnake

I don't get how its a "MUST-HAVE upgrade"?
Well it isn’t is it.

The PS5 has a smaller HDD, yet people don’t seem to think that is a problem in here - most have said they are fine with 875GB and wi just move games.

Although Sony have not confirmed you can move PS5 games from the SSD to the HDD. That is assumed. MS have confirmed you can move games between SSD and HDD.

So to sum it up - PS5 owners on here are very happy with the 875GB PS5 drive, and have no issues moving games between SSD and HDD (when sony confrim it which they of course will).

However, the fact another console with a larger fitted SDD which can move games about, has an over priced SSD card is a huge issue. It is over priced but on th plus side, at least MS have told us, we know we can buy one for launch and the deets of how it works.

Sony have said you can put a drive in, get back to us. 7 months ago...

It also seems that MS have a big problem with the Bethesda deal - people on a games forum it seems can see big issues that a trillion $ co (spending Shrareholder money so this is all ROI based long term) didn’t - and with no info at all! Special. Anyway, it is such a big problem in fact, this ROI around the Bethesda deal, that the MS CEO no less rolled along with Phil to tell us it was a great deal for MS, very much core to the strategy, and that in fact he wants to put more MS cash in game studios!

Amazing what a console launch can do. Maybe its COVID 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Its just more deflection

Last edited:

apolloa

Distinguished Member
MS made just over $11 billion from XBox in 2019 so yeah paying $7.5 billion for such a marginal part of their business without a clear, appreciative impact on their revenue and more importantly, margin, seems steep to me.

and here’s another link that repeated Eurogamer story about price of SSD

Xbox Series X MUST-HAVE upgrade will cost you $200 and you can pre-order now

So before you call anything rubbish ask for source.
Well thats ignoring Microsoft as a whole, any giant corporation will invest that much if as a whole they believe it will lead to more profit. And obviously the very clever people at Microsoft believe it will. I’m more then sure they can see the clear appreciative impact it will have. Obviously the team in Microsoft consider It a price worth paying, they are in this for the long game.
And I did ask where ‘did you read that rubbish‘. Not that the source was rubbish, and as it transpired it was rubbish.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
So @SteveeJ, in your own words do you think Fallout, elder Scrolls, doom etc are shtt? Because that's not how interpreted your post but maybe I just read it wrong?

Personally I loved fallout 3 & 4, and Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim and I'll be disappointed if the next chapters in those don't come to PS, but I don't really have time for two consoles so I'll have to go without if they become exclusive. Won't lose sleep about it though.

mudshark

Distinguished Member
And? The initial batches (Of both consoles) will be snapped up by the enthusiasts and folk looking to make a quick buck on eBay so of course they are sold out.

What I would expect to see is Sony taking an initial lead in the race, however with everything MS are throwing at Xbox it'll catch and pass (If Sony remain firmly on their laurels, as the currently are).

I mean its a month and a half (just over) until the PS5 comes out yet very little is known about it.

Does it play 4K discs in Dolby Vision? Is Dolby Atmos supported for 4K discs? What does the UI look like. We know everything about Xbox.
Oh I 100% agree, surely there will be a proper tear down soon. From a games perspective I think the last conference (if you can call it that) was impressive but we need to know more about the hardware.

Seems odd they are taking this stance and you would think this is all part of some marketing strategy, I mean why wouldnt they have been informative with regards to the hardware and UI already.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Hopefully once we get a bit of competition those prices will drop. Hopefully will not require it for another year ...

steviedr

Distinguished Member
I sold my pro a few days ago, couldn’t believe how long it’s been out for, assumed 3 years and thought it was about £425 at launch. I think in need some memory pills...
Nearly 4 years old and only £349 at launch, it served me well.
Now, what am I going to do until November, going to have to speak to my better half tonight ... :)

SteveeJ

So @SteveeJ, in your own words do you think Fallout, elder Scrolls, doom etc are shtt? Because that's not how interpreted your post but maybe I just read it wrong?

Personally I loved fallout 3 & 4, and Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim and I'll be disappointed if the next chapters in those don't come to PS, but I don't really have time for two consoles so I'll have to go without if they become exclusive. Won't lose sleep about it though.
No I’m not saying they are sh*t games. I’ve played many of them and I can still just about keep up with Doom on my PS4. It’s an expression relating to their overall business. Like an “as much as you can eat buffet” some see that as value others see it as bland filler.

SteveeJ

Well thats ignoring Microsoft as a whole, any giant corporation will invest that much if as a whole they believe it will lead to more profit. And obviously the very clever people at Microsoft believe it will. I’m more then sure they can see the clear appreciative impact it will have. Obviously the team in Microsoft consider It a price worth paying, they are in this for the long game.
And I did ask where ‘did you read that rubbish‘. Not that the source was rubbish, and as it transpired it was rubbish.
Apologies. I was just wanting to make sure you were clear on the revenue XBox actually generates for MS. Every time you trot out “MS is a $1.5T business” I make the assumption you think that’s all because of XBox. I can’t begin to tell you how much of a relief to me it is that you already understand it’s inconsequential to the overall MS business and I’ve not inadvertently burst your belief bubble.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Don't look too shocked when she informs you she no longer works at Woolworths!
Going to take her down to Littlewoods now for a big breakfast, only a £1 cracking value !

apolloa

Distinguished Member
Apologies. I was just wanting to make sure you were clear on the revenue XBox actually generates for MS. Every time you trot out “MS is a $1.5T business” I make the assumption you think that’s all because of XBox. I can’t begin to tell you how much of a relief to me it is that you already understand it’s inconsequential to the overall MS business and I’ve not inadvertently burst your belief bubble.
Haha no bubble burst! No Microsoft is the juggernaut, all off the back of software licensing of course. Xbox is successful in its own right as even a few billion is impressive, but not as successful as PlayStation. It’s a shame that Sony has to rely on PlayStation so much it seems, hence no Game Pass business model for them, but, and this can be a big but, they seem to know how to manage studios, I’ve seen a lot of criticism of Microsoft’s management of RARE, so it’s another remains to be seen how it manages Bethesda and ID etc. It would be terrible for ID to be ruined considering the innovation they have done!
It’s very tricky to decide on a console here, I am still pretty split, only want one, but you have to think of these things if your talking several years, as with Sony you know what you’ll get but I hope they do more turn over the shoulder story simulators, but you may find with Microsoft you get fantastic different games and value, or rubbish games due to mis-management. And I appreciate the Series X is more powerful, but it does need to be seen yet if that’s true in reality. Not long now though. I want to see the damn UI and features of the PS5 though!

Bioshock174

Are we allowed to just dislike subscription services? Im not sure im allowed to say that without upsetting the Xbox crew who seem to live in this thread?

This isnt exclusive to Xbox Game Pass but includes things like Disney+

I strongly believe these models are not consumer friendly and are purely designed to lace the pockets of the companies that run them. I also don't for one second think that Microsoft will not increase the price of game pass as the service grows and holds more titles. And the users of said subscription will have two choices... pay the rise to still have access to 'their' game collection or to stop the subscription and move back to a purchase titles like the good old days?

What happens when Microsoft falls out with a publisher and they pull their titles? What happens when Microsoft decide they no longer want to stuff cash in the hands of the publishers for them to be happy for their games to be on game pass?

Like I said this isn't exclusive to game pass, it happens with all of the streaming services like Netflix/Prime/Disney etc tv/films get pulled from these services all the time and then don't even get me started on Disney charging people extra to rent Mulan 😩

Just remember these models are designed to make them money and Microsoft know exactly what they are doing.

I was up until recently someone who subbed to the Game Pass on PC but the price rise was just too much and I decided to let my sub end. At some point you'll have to make that same choice and you'll possibly be wondering if you had good value for that service and nothing to show for it.

Last edited:

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
was up until recently someone who subbed to the Game Pass on PC but the price rise was just too much and I decided to let my sub end. At some point you'll have to make that same choice and you'll possibly be wondering if you had good value for that service and nothing to show for it.
I've just bought 3 years worth of Ultimate for £87 (works out £2.41 a month roughly) Thats a Cup of Tea at a Costa. I can imagine i'll get my moneys worth of it. As well as my Son who will also be able to access all the games on his Series S this christmas (from the same sub I have bought for myself).

What happens when Microsoft falls out with a publisher and they pull their titles? What happens when Microsoft decide they no longer want to stuff cash in the hands of the publishers for them to be happy for their games to be on game pass?
Games come and go from the service all the time. If they pull all the games you would have played then i'd just cancel the subscription. Done.

GeneticMutation

Are we allowed to just dislike subscription services? Im not sure im allowed to say that without upsetting the Xbox crew who seem to live in this thread?

I strongly believe these models are not consumer friendly and are purely designed to lace the pockets of the companies that run them. I also don't for one second think that Microsoft will not increase the price of game pass as the service grows and holds more titles. And the users of said subscription will have two choices... pay the rise to still have access to 'their' game collection or to stop the subscription and move back to a purchase titles like the good old days?

Like I said this isn't exclusive to game pass, it happens with all of the streaming services like Netflix/Prime/Disney etc tv/films get pulled from these services all the time and then don't even get me started on Disney charging people extra to rent Mulan 😩

Just remember these models are designed to make them money and Microsoft know exactly what they are doing.

I was up until recently someone who subbed to the Game Pass on PC but the price rise was just too much and I decided to let my sub end. At some point you'll have to make that same choice and you'll possibly be wondering if you had good value for that service and nothing to show for it.
I agree to some extent with regards to gaming. I'll use Disney+, I like it. They've said they will not remove any of the content they add. I used to buy Blu-Ray / UHD but I rarely go back to re-watch any of them. All they do now is sit collecting dust on a shelf that takes up room in my house. Disney+, for £5.99 a month, allows me unlimited access to anything Star Wars / Marvel / Disney / Pixar without taking up room on shelf and collecting dust. I used to chase the best picture quality, the best sound but now my aging eyes and ears just can't tell the difference and it's more the convenience of having all this content at the touch of a button. Also, Blu-Ray / UHD discs rarely hold their value.

With regards to gaming, I like to buy physical so I can re-sell to use the funds for the next purchase (games seem to hold their value). However, a subscription service that allows me to download the full game on day one, instead of streaming it, then I might be interested. Streaming is the bane of gaming and should never have been conceived.

Tolq

Not (strictly speaking) a question for me, but I personally think Fallout 3&4 and Skyrim are way overrated and that Bethesda games generally get a "brand bonus" these days, but I wouldn't call them "sh*t". I had an OK time with Fallout 3, although the writing was poor/dull IMO, and although I was disappointed in Skyrim (I REALLY wanted to like that game!), I can definitely see the appeal. and I can also see the added value for MS and gamepass going forward.

IPs I would be sad to miss out on if I didn't also have a PC: Doom, Evil Within, whatever Obsidian comes up with.

psikey

Distinguished Member
Game Pass at £10.99 for games on both PC & XBOX (and cloud to Android phone) with EA games soon is a bargain really. My first year already paid for at only £89 with codes (already had Ultimate so couldn't use the 3year Brazilian code trick for £78)

Normally only have 2 subs (Netflix & Spotify) but this will become my regular 3rd.

Made me consider XBOX over PS5 and I've never had an XBOX, except my PC will likely play everything better anyway (2080Ti PC) so may still likely get PS5 even though its ugly and XSX looks better in design/specs in everyway other than SSD speed.

OldSnake

You may not be aware, but all the games on GP are still buyable games? For example, You could use GP as a demo service and then buy the games to own like normal usually at 10% off.

You could not bother with GP at all and just buy fallout 5, scrolls 6 and all the other exclusive MS games as you would normally - 60 quid from the store and you ‘own’ them

You seem to be confused that you can only play these games on GP - not true. Ignore the evil sub service and just buy the games like you always have?

what do you make of PSnow? Obv a much smaller scale operation but the same, no?

Bioshock174

You may not be aware, but all the games on GP are still buyable games? For example, You could use GP as a demo service and then buy the games to own like normal usually at 10% off.

You could not bother with GP at all and just buy fallout 5, scrolls 6 and all the other exclusive MS games as you would normally - 60 quid from the store and you ‘own’ them

You seem to be confused that you can only play these games on GP - not true. Ignore the evil sub service and just buy the games like you always have?

what do you make of PSnow? Obv a much smaller scale operation but the same, no?
Im not confused at all. Im fully aware you can purchase them. My point was mainly aimed at the people who are not happy with the negativity game pass gets. Im happy because I do pay for titles then own them myself.

My point stands for any subscription service as I have already clearly mentioned. I didnt mention PSnow because no-one has been in here talking about PSnow. So yes I dislike PSnow also.

In reference to loading a sub up and getting it for dirt cheap it obviously does change my opinion slightly but I would always be aware that titles can come and go from the service and that would annoy me.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett