PS5 General Chat

If these were PC's I would say you would be able to see it maybe. As there consoles, its much harder as if there was a noticable difference they may fix the fps to 30 rather than 60 on both and no one every knows there was some measurable fps drop at 4K. Or they both run at 60 fps but one is checker board 4K and the other is native, which DF will report but we may have trouble spotting.
Or worst case one runs at 60 other at 30 but I think that this would be avoided by the game publisher and hence unlikely to be a choice made.

So who knows, mulitpat games publishers are not in the business of making one side look good or bad and will try to walk the middle ground if possible. I still think the Xbox is going to be a stronger platform but, will we be able to see it , not sure. Might be something that becomes more of a factor as games get more intensive later on it the generation were every drop of power counts. (or raytracing is good on one and weaker on the other)

Is it realistic to expect Ghost of Tsushima to play on the PS5 at 4k 60 around launch or at all? And TLOU2 and Cyberpunk etc?

Is it realistic to expect Ghost of Tsushima to play on the PS5 at 4k 60 around launch or at all? And TLOU2 and Cyberpunk etc?

A game running at 4K 30 on current gen consoles should be able to run at 4K 60 on next gen and still have headroom for additional visual improvements. Whether we get that through BC or a patch remains to be seen.

Define noticeable. It’ll be 4K 60 on both
Didn't they say that one would be 30fps? I'd be surprised if it was 60fps and if it is settings will be turned right down getting any AC to run decently on a good PC is a nightmare.

Didn't they say that one would be 30fps? I'd be surprised if it was 60fps and if it is settings will be turned right down getting any AC to run decently on a good PC is a nightmare.

Ubisoft confirmed current-gen runs at 30, XSX is 4k60 no mention of PS5 as they have a marketing deal with Microsoft so won't say or show anything until it's out or very close to release, but it will be the same.

Ubisoft confirmed current-gen runs at 30, XSX is 4k60 no mention of PS5 as they have a marketing deal with Microsoft so won't say or show anything until it's out or very close to release, but it will be the same.
Interesting, I wonder if X1X will have better effects than XSX due to the framerate increase, it should but wonder if it'll be restricted for marketing reasons

Interesting, I wonder if X1X will have better effects than XSX due to the framerate increase, it should but wonder if it'll be restricted for marketing reasons

Once again you are comparing a two generation old GPU and god know how old CPU against RDNA2 GPU and Zen 2 CPU and completely missing the point.

No guarantee itll be the same. If it is and the frames are pushing the CPU to achieve it they may need to dial down the GPU due to smart shift to make it happen, in which case graphical effects may suffer. May not be the case, but nobody knows yet. All we do know is the X will be 4k60, the fact they've said nothing re PS5 doesn't mean it's just because of marketing and it'll have parity.

No guarantee itll be the same. If it is and the frames are pushing the CPU to achieve it they may need to dial down the GPU due to smart shift to make it happen, in which case graphical effects may suffer. May not be the case, but nobody knows yet. All we do know is the X will be 4k60, the fact they've said nothing re PS5 doesn't mean it's just because of marketing and it'll have parity.
Exactly why we will see in time, and all this speculating is just guesswork.

Ubisoft has apparently seemingly revealed that Assassin’s Creed Valhalla will run at 4K 60 FPS on PS5 when it launches in November.

The news was revealed in a German Eurogamer article. In the article they clearly state that “according to a current report from Ubisoft” Assassin’s Creed Valhalla will run at 4K 60 FPS on PS5, putting it on par with the output available on the Xbox Series X when the game launches.

Also in the article, Valhalla will reportedly “draw further advantages on the PS5 from the fast SSD technology to shorten loading times and the Tempest Engine for better sound. So no big surprises, it would be bad if not.”

Valhalla, which has just been given its PS5 release date will be Ubisoft’s first next-gen game. The most recent gameplay we received for it gave us a look at some of the mythical beasts we will get to fight in the game.

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla releases for PS4 on November 10, 2020. The game will release for PS5 on November 12, 2020, in the US and November 19, 2020, in the EU and UK.

Let’s just hope the difference in gaming won’t be anything like Black Ops on the PS3 vs Xbox.

No guarantee, but a reasonable read of the respective specs. XSX has the theoretical horsepower to push a few more pixels, maybe a few more ray bounces on its RT, and these differences will be hard to notice. It does not have the difference between 30 and 60 fps. PS4 had more than double the advantage and you didn’t see 30 vs 60 Fps on anything.

Does anyone seriously think that Assassins Creed Valhalla will run 4K native at 60FPS on either the SX or PS5? Because I think there is absolutely zero chance. Perhaps via some dynamic resolution or temporal scaling techniques. But I seriously doubt when they say '4K' they actually mean full fat, native 4K for a game of this scale at 60FPS. The consoles are powerful but many of the efficiencies and techniques to save resources won't be baked into engines at launch....

Does anyone seriously think that Assassins Creed Valhalla will run 4K native at 60FPS on either the SX or PS5? Because I think there is absolutely zero chance. Perhaps via some dynamic resolution or temporal scaling techniques. But I seriously doubt when they say '4K' they actually mean full fat, native 4K for a game of this scale at 60FPS. The consoles are powerful but many of the efficiencies and techniques to save resources won't be baked into engines at launch....

They'd know if they say 4k60 and then it's not native it'll get ripped apart and they'd look stupid. If it's not, why say it.

Yes. The One X hits native 4K on Odyssey and the Pro gets pretty close, so yeah these consoles should manage it.

And AC games are typically CPU bound, the jump from Jaguar to Zen 2 in these consoles is massive step up.

Last edited:
Yes. The One X hits native 4K on Odyssey and the Pro gets pretty close, so yeah these consoles should manage it.

And AC games are typically CPU bound, the jump from Jaguar to Zen 2 in these consoles is massive step up.

We'll see but they said they were going to do stuff beyond resolution and framerate so I guess it depends what that entails. I agree the CPU will be a huge help with framerate.

The size is all about keeping cost down. It's a higher spec SSD so likely the 825 was more in line with a slower 1Tb drive as in the XSX. If they pushed it to 1TB the BOM would've probably been too high.
Whatever you say. I'll lean towards believing the architect of the system first and foremost, and the 825gb size was clarified as a design choice by him in the very first talk about the console.

Maybe he's just straight out lying and it's all about cost? Maybe it''s 50/50 cost vs architecture efficiency. Maybe us mere mortals don't understand as much about the IO architecture, and this is a real performance gain...

I'm expecting there to be a noticeable difference with AC Valhalla striaght away.
Will be interesting to see really how noticeable it is. There will be a difference, but noticeable, even to us geeks... I'm not so sure.

We'll see but they said they were going to do stuff beyond resolution and framerate so I guess it depends what that entails. I agree the CPU will be a huge help with framerate.

We’ve seen Valhalla gameplay, it looks like a reskin of Odyssey, but with worse character models and animations 🤷‍♂️

New consoles should easily be doing 4K 60 on last gen games.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom