PS5

Saintbone

"Additionally, we know that the PS4 community will transition to PS5 at different times, and we’re happy to announce PS4 versions of some of our exclusives. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch."

Have to admit I was surprised at Horizon. No mention of GOW2 though. Will that be PS5 only? Can't wait to see that in action

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
"Additionally, we know that the PS4 community will transition to PS5 at different times, and we’re happy to announce PS4 versions of some of our exclusives. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch."

Have to admit I was surprised at Horizon. No mention of GOW2 though. Will that be PS5 only? Can't wait to see that in action
Not a chance, gow2 will definitely come out on PS4

Saintbone

Ryan also said that of the thousands of games tested for PS4 backwards compatibility, “99 percent” can be played on the next console. Sony also announced a new service called PS Plus Collection, which will offer 18 PS4 first-party titles for download to subscribers to the PlayStation online service.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
if so they will sit on it until the last moment most likely.

@Robohamster - totally I posted that months ago, I am pleased its borne out but annoyed the information was sat on since it was shown, What we think the devs turned around last week and said, you know what , we could actually get this working on a PS4 ! Call Japan now !

Sorry this reads like a rant but this is to me the definition of treating your customers in a shady way, what is going on in Sony at the moment ? Still, game will hopefully be different enough from the last one to justify the £50 price tag.
Guess we are just going to have to wait to see what Digital Foundry saw when they compare ps5 to ps4 versions of those games. There HAS to be more to the experience than just some nicer reflections and faster loading surely?

I completed (got the plat) Ghost of Tsushima last night, and one thing is for certain, I'm perfectly happy with how my ps4 pro runs games. The gfx on ghost are amazing, it was dead smooth (played on 60fps mode over resolution) and I loved the game.
I can totally wait for a ps5 only game to arrive before I buy a ps5 at the moment.

silvercue

Distinguished Member
Guess we are just going to have to wait to see what Digital Foundry saw when they compare ps5 to ps4 versions of those games. There HAS to be more to the experience than just some nicer reflections and faster loading surely?
I seriously doubt it. We have seen for generations and it has been said by many developers that games that have to release on older consoles are held back. The only difference will be glitter. The SSD, which has been SONY's big sell - will just load the levels a bit faster. None of the design will be based on what this can actually do to change how we play. Looks like we will have to wait a long time to see anything in this space and personally I think we are looking at a small handful of games that even go there.

Money will always win the fight.

anlygi

I'm out for now. That was very disappointing. Not one big console seller to someone like me who doesn't like DMC and has never been that into the Souls games. Miles Morales is the only game I would be interested in and I can play that on my PS4 Pro. I went in with PS4 on Day one and don't want to be in the same position as then and as it was with PS3, starved of exclusive titles for a long time. I'll jump in when Returnal, Stray, GT7 etc start coming out next year hopefully. Maybe there will be a black version too that won't stick out like a sore thumb in my media room.

Playstation Plus collection shows Sony knows content in thin on the ground, but that's only useful for anyone who wasn't a big PS4 user IMO as I've played them all (except the JRPGs which I had no intention on playing this gen). I'm content with my Pro and One X for now, neither Sony or MS have got my attention.

I've been considering going back to PC gaming for a while, the last system I built was for Half Life 2! I could well have done by the end of the year. My aging hands would prefer the comfort of a keyboard and mouse too I think.

SteveeJ

Sony will have decided to release some current gen games intended as exclusives for ¥ - if reports are correct they need to cover the losses on console prices short term.

Demon Luci

Distinguished Member
You pay a premium to get a console at launch. Usually worth it IMHO but it's all a bit meh this time round.

anlygi

You pay a premium to get a console at launch. Usually worth it IMHO but it's all a bit meh this time round.
Totally agree. I'm always sucked in by the hype, but genuinely have no 'fear of missing out' this time around. Perfectly content to wait. I think for me too, the mid-generation console updates have also dented the jump from this gen to the next. If they hadn't come along the upgrade would be more pronounced. It's all about the games though and neither PS5 or Series X have much I can't play already.

Nukleuz

Is the internal drive upgradable or is it just 825gb of super fast nvme/ssd plus external USB drive?

zt1903

Distinguished Member
Is the internal drive upgradable or is it just 825gb of super fast nvme/ssd plus external USB drive?
There is a bay to add a second SSD. You can add any commercial drive that is fast enough and physically fits. Sony will advise which drives are compatible.

rowedav

Distinguished Member
PS5 will sell by the bucketload but Sony aren’t handling this launch as smoothly as I’d hope. Mixed /poor messaging on a number of things, pre-order chaos in the US...

steviedr

Distinguished Member
PS5 will sell by the bucketload but Sony aren’t handling this launch as smoothly as I’d hope. Mixed /poor messaging on a number of things, pre-order chaos in the US...
I agree, and then there is the retailer chaos, eg, games “my account” has been down since their preorders seemed to go live 8 hrs early...and is still Up/down...

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
As long as I can play Fall a Guys then that’s all that’s important ;)

Seriously though they need to announce how VR will work and an adapter ASAP. Loads won’t be able to replace their PS4s if there is no way to plug their VR kit in.

psikey

Distinguished Member
Think I will wait for a Black version, nothing I want to play yet. Have a 3080 to order today anyway.

iamsludge

Got a pre-order email from Game but when you follow the link there is no items to buy (except a few accessories), it looks like they sold out in minutes.

Not that fussed (yet) as was planning on buying from JohnLewis and I’d be saving it for Xmas anyway lol

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Think I will wait for a Black version, nothing I want to play yet. Have a 3080 to order today anyway.
I'm very tempted to go down the PC route, some of the PC game footage I've seen recently has been absolutely stunning, even something like shadow of the tomb raider it looked photo realistic in places. Really haven't got a clue though how easy it is to use a gaming PC on a big TV in the lounge , there's no way I'm using a keyboard and mouse on my lap on the sofa put it that way. The idea of building my own gaming PC does appeal though especially with gamepass on PC in the equation...been out of it so long though I haven't got a clue what I'd need these days

zt1903

Distinguished Member
As long as I can play Fall a Guys then that’s all that’s important ;)

Seriously though they need to announce how VR will work and an adapter ASAP. Loads won’t be able to replace their PS4s if there is no way to plug their VR kit in.
I think they already said there would be a free adapter.

Edit: yep, for the camera.