PS5 General Chat

Cerny said in the original presentation, unless I'm mistaken.

At the time he was referring to having tested the top 100 as by game time, possibly with a boost, and they Expect almost all of them to work day one. After that there was questions about is that all that will be BC and their vague response was they expect the vast majority of PS4 games to be playabel on PS5... but the clear ommision of when, hence the question. If it's a 7 year generation they could be adding titles every month for years, unless they all just work in a base mode...but they've not confirmed any of it.

From listening to the presentation again it sounds like they've baked BC into the code instead of putting a PS4/Pro in the PS5 (which would be expensive). I also think Cerny worded it poorly.

The Road to PS5 at 27:03

All that does is highlight what i already knew. He doesn't say the majority of titles day one, neither does the later info release they put out. ZT states this as if fact, hence the question, i asked, where have they stated that.... The original pont made was the message is vague at best, hence clarity would be good and like i said, if most of them will just work on day one in basic form, great, just make it clear.

At the time he was referring to having tested the top 100 as by game time, possibly with a boost, and they Expect almost all of them to work day one. After that there was questions about is that all that will be BC and their vague response was they expect the vast majority of PS4 games to be playabel on PS5... but the clear ommision of when, hence the question. If it's a 7 year generation they could be adding titles every month for years, unless they all just work in a base mode...but they've not confirmed any of it.
That's a fairly bleak outlook you've got there... Our expectations of what Sony will actually deliver at launch must be somewhat different.

I expect almost all titles to work in P4S4, or PS4 Pro legacy mode at launch. Let's wait and see :)

That's a fairly bleak outlook you've got there... Our expectations of what Sony will actually deliver at launch must be somewhat different.

I expect almost all titles to work in P4S4, or PS4 Pro legacy mode at launch. Let's wait and see :)

I'm hoping you're right and have put that as a possiible, but if so, why didn't they say that in the press release (after Cerny created some confusion), which was supposed to shed more light on their BC.

The other problem is they've said if any issues arise the devs would need to resolve them (unlike MS's process), and as mentioned before, many just wouldn't invest time and money unless there's potentil DLC sales from it or a sequel in the works and worthwhile to generate franchise interst etc.

The big BC question for me is whether we'll get anything on PS1-3, on which I’m not holding my breath!

You won't but PS Now is the place to stream PS2/3 games at least.

I'm sure there will be some uncertainty the older a PS4 game is, but as far as I'm aware, any game made from July onward this year will just run on PS5 no worries?

Also knowing legacy modes exist gives a degree of confidence the majority of PS4 games will work and any that have pro enhancements will benefit someone like me who has never had a pro. I'm sure I have many games in my library that will play better on PS5 right out of the tin from that alone.

Of course nothings confirmed until its confirmed, but you don't announce legacy modes and then not use them, but stranger things have happened at sea..

You won't but PS Now is the place to stream PS2/3 games at least.

Kinda hoping they’ll have sorted something and they’ll be downloadable.

They do have to sort something out for PS3 as the hardware solution they have for PS Now servers is unsustainable.

Kinda hoping they’ll have sorted something and they’ll be downloadable.

They do have to sort something out for PS3 as the hardware solution they have for PS Now servers is unsustainable.

I've streamed a few games on PSNow, Lego ones mainly and they have been fine. The res needs improving but when it's a PS3 game it's going to be 720p generally anyway.
Definitely needs improvement but it's not too bad at all. I did stream Control for PS4 a little bit and that was a bit painful but then I was connected to VPN to work at the time which definitely didn't help the latency and image quality :D

@apolloa did you see that XBSX doesn't have wifi6?

Sorry everybody...

I'm hoping you're right and have put that as a possiible, but if so, why didn't they say that in the press release (after Cerny created some confusion), which was supposed to shed more light on their BC.

The other problem is they've said if any issues arise the devs would need to resolve them (unlike MS's process), and as mentioned before, many just wouldn't invest time and money unless there's potentil DLC sales from it or a sequel in the works and worthwhile to generate franchise interst etc.

The technical solution for PS5 BC is not the same as XBO.

Cerny's talk created some confusion as to whether the Top 100 being tested was for boost mode or BC. This was then clarified, somewhat, on the blog with the “vast majority of” statement.

Sure, they haven’t clarified every detail as they’ve barely talked about BC, but Cerny has outlined what the solution is and with that in mind you could equally ask, why wouldn’t it work?

The caveated scope is not dissimilar to Xbox's - “it is our intention that” all titles will be BC. No absolute guarantees. Why? Because there are some real pieces of crap with game breaking bugs on both stores and they don’t want to be accountable for fixing it if it’s broken on nextgen

The technical solution for PS5 BC is not the same as XBO.

Cerny's talk created some confusion as to whether the Top 100 being tested was for boost mode or BC. This was then clarified, somewhat, on the blog with the “vast majority of” statement.

Sure, they haven’t clarified every detail as they’ve barely talked about BC, but Cerny has outlined what the solution is and with that in mind you could equally ask, why wouldn’t it work?

The caveated scope is not dissimilar to Xbox's - “it is our intention that” all titles will be BC. No absolute guarantees. Why? Because there are some real pieces of crap with game breaking bugs on both stores and they don’t want to be accountable for fixing it if it’s broken on nextgen

Yeah I agree with you on this, re the why wouldn't the majority just work day one etc, but equally if as straightforward as that you'd think they'd have highlighted as such, especially as MS repeatedly post about 1000's of games working day one.

Like I originally said, hopefully that is the case for legacy modes, and if so they confirm, but if they need to test every game for it to do so, it'll take time. Hence the lack of any such timescale to their statement re vast majority will work on ps5 makes you wonder..... To simply say they will all work day one at this stage with any certainty is making an assumption.

They need to show the latest Godfall trailer tonight. I had written the game off, but the new trailer from a few days ago has me interested, colour palette has been upgraded big time, now looks next gen.
Don’t want to see anymore R&C, need a few longer in game trailers of other content.
UI would be nice, but not bothered, it is what it is and will be patched along the way if problematic. I want to see the physical console beside a PS4 so we can see the size and not have to go with images created from the disc drive size. Also a little advertising showing future tear down would be nice.

Get the last of your cheese stories out !

If they announce Demon's Souls as a launch title they will get my attention.

Loved Actua Golf on the Ps1

I'm working tonight so will miss the showcase. Having bought the ps3 and ps4 on launch day, I think I might wait before getting the ps5 unless they suddenly announce some cracking launch titles.

If BC means I could get rid of the ps4 then I would probably bite the bullet as I've still got a backlog of games on the ps4 meaning the ps5 would gather dust for a good chunk of time.

Would also like to know if save files could be downloaded for games already started on the ps4.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom