PS5

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
On VR we should bear in mind that we could see large graphical improvements given the sacrifices that developers have to make to meet minimum frame rate requirements. PS4 does not push the limits of the headset at all.
New games should look pretty amazing I think but I am hoping some current VR games get patches but I suspect not many will, maybe NMS (which I have but don’t play) and maybe the odd other.
GT7 VR will be the one to watch out for :)

Edit - oh and RE8 which has been confirmed as PSVR compatible.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
Shame there won’t be a new Battlefield when the console is released. This will look stunning when it eventually comes out.

I remember how good BF4 looked when the PS4 was released.

OldSnake

I wasn’t suggesting launch on there, just what Sony still has “in the pipeline” and haven’t talked about yet, although I think a few of those will be sooner than you think.
I’d love it if they were 😊

I’m not gonna complain if they are much sooner.

i need more convincing for sure / i mean what is ‘sooner than you think’ / we are talking about, mainly, games which haven’t been announced / I’m saying two years (maybe three) for something not even shown yet coming to release, I don’t reckon I’m being too harsh really mate 👍🏻

For me both of Sony and ms now need to come clean with what we can expect day one. If for Sony it’s just spider man then cool. Just tell me and when I can expect the others. In that case I’d also like to know howmy current Ps4 games will be boosted on 5 as for me that will bridge the gap. If Sony give their WWS PS4 games a boost I don’t mind the launch week only really having Spider-Man as 2st party. GT 7 I am hoping is soon.

In three months it’ll be November 1st

I would love love Sony at their show to say hey here is gt7 running on PS5 / lets Show you a full lap while someone talks over the footage about how insane it looks. When done the video fades out only for the screen to‘drop’ to the PS5 desktop. And then they can introduce that...

But that is what I mean when I say gameplay. All this in engine ‘on PS5 hardware’ they don’t mean are show what I care about most - how will my games look. Not how they could or might. How they run on your new machine. If the gt7 ‘video’ was like wow wow wow and then that is shown to be being played there and then on PS5 - then we are getting to where I want to be.

it’s going to be a wild ride these next three months when we think about what is missed info wise - on both sides, but esp Sony, because they have three months and need to make a case for a 450 quid console at the end of a crap old year.

OldSnake

New games should look pretty amazing I think but I am hoping some current VR games get patches but I suspect not many will, maybe NMS (which I have but don’t play) and maybe the odd other.
GT7 VR will be the one to watch out for :)

Edit - oh and RE8 which has been confirmed as PSVR compatible.
Yup that is what I am looking for.

I have no issue with no new VR headset For a couple of years. As ZT said the current one isn’t maxed on 4. I would love to see all of the VR games given a boost to make use of PS5 power and make the current headset sing.
Again if the launch line up isn’t massive it’s stuff like this, as someone with already loads of VR games, that would be big.

I just figured we’d have heard something about vr games as it’s a big Sony usp for me and I guess many others liking Vr but don’t have a pc up to it. Loved Sony being in vr this gen.

Demon Luci

Distinguished Member
I have no issue with no new VR headset For a couple of years.
I suspect you’ll get your wish. Personally, though, I’d love a quick launch of PSVR 2.

PSVR 1 has been a pretty good first attempt at VR and proof of concept but there are so many areas it needs improved on IMHO.

OldSnake

I suspect you’ll get your wish. Personally, though, I’d love a quick launch of PSVR 2.

PSVR 1 has been a pretty good first attempt at VR and proof of concept but there are so many areas it needs improved on IMHO.
well ‘having no issue’ is one thing. And I don’t. But. Wishing for it? No way! 😊 i would also love a PSVR2 early too 100% but I don’t see Sony having that with a console launch too. I think bumping current games to push the current install base is a better fit at this time Maybe a year or two after launch.

so yeah, no issue with that but if I had the magic wand, I’d be buying a PS5 with PSVR2 😊 I have enjoyed the vr headset immensely but as you rightly say it is not without issues and places that upgrades could be really great.

Fe_man2000

Down to each PSVR game dev and if they think its worth revisting their game. If its mulitplatform and have better graphics on another headset it could be improved on PS5 PSVR as the assets etc already exist, otherwise its less likely and most devs are working on there new stuff not re-mastering their older games (its not impossible but I would not hold my breath for a new patchs being rushed out in 2021)

I cannot work out what Sony are going to do in the VR space next, when PSVR was launched its was cheaper (if you had a PS4) than anything else and even though it was pretty poor VR technology, it was good enough and fun to use. Now there are things like the Quest out there Sony would need to have something similar with inside out tracking and thats going to cost more putting them in direct competion with Occulus, I wonder when they will feel its the right time to do that in PS5 life cycle.

I know the Quest also needs a PC to be able to reach its full potential and a PSVR wont so its not quite the same comparision but Quest 2 may well be out before PSVR2 and I dont know what that may be able to do...its interesting, I half think they wont release PSVR2 but it did good business so my other half thinks they will.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Down to each PSVR game dev and if they think its worth revisting their game. If its mulitplatform and have better graphics on another headset it could be improved on PS5 PSVR as the assets etc already exist, otherwise its less likely and most devs are working on there new stuff not re-mastering their older games (its not impossible but I would not hold my breath for a new patchs being rushed out in 2021)

I cannot work out what Sony are going to do in the VR space next, when PSVR was launched its was cheaper (if you had a PS4) than anything else and even though it was pretty poor VR technology, it was good enough and fun to use. Now there are things like the Quest out there Sony would need to have something similar with inside out tracking and thats going to cost more putting them in direct competion with Occulus, I wonder when they will feel its the right time to do that in PS5 life cycle.

I know the Quest also needs a PC to be able to reach its full potential and a PSVR wont so its not quite the same comparision but Quest 2 may well be out before PSVR2 and I dont know what that may be able to do...its interesting, I half think they wont release PSVR2 but it did good business so my other half thinks they will.
Quest 2 is a bit of an unknown although it does seem like a Quest S might release early next year. There have been some decent upgrades to the current Quest since launch anyway.
I can’t see Sony releasing VR2 for more than £250-280 otherwise I’m not sure people would buy it so can they deliver at that price?
Maybe they will do a cabled version for that price and a wireless adapter as an accessory as that would bump the price up quite a bit. It would have to come with controllers as well so I expect we will be waiting 12-18 months before we hear anything anyway.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
That‘s the magic word that’ll get me. At that point I’m not bothered about price. (higher resolution as well - but that’s a given)
I don’t mind the cable and actually this week was the first time I’d experienced it annoyance with it, playing Pistol Whip. The only game that has caused a bit of an issue but still not too bad.

Wireless won’t be cheap though, especially with high res and 120fps so I can’t imagine it will be included with the starter kit if they also need to include motion controllers. We know Sony like to be reasonable on their pricing.

zt1903

Distinguished Member
A couple of snippets I’ve picked up this morning.

- there is now an official @silenthill twitter account.
- there is a lot of chatter about a big 3rd party exclusive game on PS5 to be announced, speculation is that this is FF16.
- the Xbox twitterati e.g. Jez Corden are complaining that PS has a lock on key nextgen deals.
- Spider-Man will be a PS exclusive playable character in Marvel Avengers

OldSnake

A couple of snippets I’ve picked up this morning.

- there is now an official @silenthill twitter account.
- there is a lot of chatter about a big 3rd party exclusive game on PS5 to be announced, speculation is that this is FF16.
- the Xbox twitterati e.g. Jez Corden are complaining that PS has a lock on key nextgen deals.
Man this all sounds very much like more money-hat-arama from Sony.

It is always great to see new games and happy for any devs to show off their new games on whatever platform they like - marketing and all that.

but third party games being lockdown to a platform makes me sad ☹ It’s just crap for gamers. I am hoping this isn’t the case really.

I’m a multi plat owner and will be next gen so it’s not about sides. It’s just crap for all gamers. Cos one side do it. The other side do it more.
Honestly if ms did it is still hate it and I’d still rail but I could maybe get it. But Sony
don’t think Sony need to do this crap - they have WWS.

Anyway let’s wait and see / perhaps it’s different.

SteveeJ

MS, I believe, started the whole “money hatting” thing and have gone beyond that now by buying game developers to give them console exclusives. That is surely worse than timed exclusives?

dannius

MS, I believe, started the whole “money hatting” thing and have gone beyond that now by buying game developers to give them console exclusives. That is surely worse than timed exclusives?
I’m pretty sure buying exclusives from 3rd party devs pre-dates Microsoft even being in the console game, Sony securing the Tomb Raider franchise after the original Tomb Raider for example.

And Sony also bought studios, purchasing Psygnosis in 1993 before the PlayStation was released.

zt1903

Distinguished Member
I agree, I’m not a fan of moneyhatting.

If Silent Hill is being made by Japan Studio then that’s different, but buying exclusivity is not a practice I’ve ever liked. That’s said it’s definitely cheaper for Sony to do it than MS and it makes business sense for them.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I've made my peace with whatever 'exclusive' means nowadays, it's a horrible minefield, but if an exclusive ends up on a platform you own, and a lot eventually end up multiplatform, bonus. But..

I'm not keen on excluding content from gamers who buy the same game. Maybe exclusive skins, cosmetics, etc, but this sounds like excluding a character with their own skillset from other players, that's pants..

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
I've made my peace with whatever 'exclusive' means nowadays, it's a horrible minefield, but if an exclusive ends up on a platform you own, and a lot eventually end up multiplatform, bonus. But..

I'm not keen on excluding content from gamers who buy the same game. Maybe exclusive skins, cosmetics, etc, but this sounds like excluding a character with their own skillset from other players, that's pants..
In all fairness Sony own the Spider-Man rights for movies so presume covers games as well.
Still I’d be annoyed if I had an Xbox as he’s the best character but then again the game does look pretty awful.

richp007

Distinguished Member
So is there any indication yet of a release date and price? Seeing as it's now August and not actually that far away from the Autumn!

I personally still wouldn't be surprised to see it delayed till next year. Especially if things start to go downhill again across the world (hopefully that doesn't happen though of course).

I really thought we'd have more info by now.

In all fairness Sony own the Spider-Man rights for movies so presume covers games as well.
Still I’d be annoyed if I had an Xbox as he’s the best character but then again the game does look pretty awful.

apparently not marvel game studios own the games rights to all the marvel characters and as such Disney own them. Disney shut down their own game studios and licence out the game rights

Lancia34

Distinguished Member