PS5 General Chat

Can you two pack it in please, this is getting tedious for the rest of us.

Can you two pack it in please, this is getting tedious for the rest of us.

I’ll just add them to my ignore lost then and let them carry on spreading mis-information if it makes you and everyone else happy. But I thought it was a civil conversation and wasn’t tedious, it’s not like we have anything else to discuss here relating to the PS5. Plus we were discussing next gen technologies, isn’t that the point of the thread? Maybe a bit titt for tatt but it was civil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see where your loyalties lie. A shame really but not unexpected. If you can’t see the facts as shown even by epic themselves, I can’t help you.

My final post on this: The article I posted there has two quotes direct from Epic engineers confirming its a software based technique. That has nothing to do with loyalties - I was merely posting the confirmation Epic provided when asked.

Daniel Wright, Technical Director of Graphics at Epic, said:

Lumen uses ray tracing to solve indirect lighting, but not triangle ray tracing. Lumen traces rays against a scene representation consisting of signed distance fields, voxels and height fields. As a result, it requires no special ray tracing hardware.

I don’t think resolution is be and end all, but around this time in 2013 Sony were claiming that higher resolution made you a better gamer. Let’s not forget that.
720p to 900p to 1080p was a big difference and was noticeable in games, particularly FPS... Come on, you're really scraping the barrel there.

The resolution differences we will see nowadays are at the far end of diminishing returns. It's almost a non thing.

Any update on the rescheduling of the games reveal?

Any update on the rescheduling of the games reveal?

Nope nothing, apart from they have announced they will reveal the new event date soon... what ever that means. it’s possible we will have to wait quite a while for the event now as lots of others are planned for the next few weeks as it’s E3 season. But we’ll see.

No it isn't - its a software based technique. But regardless it may be a way of improving lighting with GI without utilising a potentially more expensive hardware accelerated technique. A number of games announced for XSX have confirmed hardware based RT - The medium, Bright Memory:infinite - so we'll be able to compare - ultimately UE5 will support it too in the end for direct comparison.

Let's not forget, that hardware based ray tracing (HWBRT) isn't an XB thing. PS5 also has HWBRT... When games are announced and shown on PS5, I'm sure they will also be confirmed to be using it :)Some titles and engines will go other ways.

Let's not forget, that hardware based ray tracing (HWBRT) isn't an XB thing. PS5 also has HWBRT... When games are announced and shown on PS5, I'm sure they will also be confirmed to be using it :)Some titles and engines will go other ways.

I think he was just pointing out that the Tech Demo was not using HWBRT, don't think he ever said PS5 did not have HWBRT.

Can't believe all this arguing over a tech demo....a Tech Demo !

I'm not claiming it is - my point was merely that Ray Tracing is one area we might see graphical difference given its performance is tied to CU count. Its expensive so it will be interesting to see how it is handled this generation. It is the most obvious breakthrough but at a cost to performance.

Wow it’s like PS4 Xbox one all over again.

it’s just this time the players have just picked up the opposite script now?

ZT banging on about how power doesn’t matter. How res isn’t noticed. How hardware advantage doesn’t matter. Trying to say software RT solutions are better than hardware.

Same on the other side - they’ve now take on the other arguments from 2013 that power is it.
It’s a role reversal. I do wonder that member realize their posts from PS4 xone release are still there.

Guess it’s just the way it rolls

I hope rumours of ps5 being twice as 'thick' as the pro are not true, that'll screw my rack up. Currently fits a ps3 slim (for blu-ray duties only) and my pro. My intent was get the ps5, keep the pro for blu-ray and get rid of ps3. If its is true then maybe I'll trade my pro in.

Oh well, if I only have 1 console in my rack then it will allow for a 'thicker' AVR, to replace my basic RXV381 (hopefully the new yammys are good or the denon 3600 is even cheaper).

In reality all raytracing is hardware based, it's done by the GPU with some help from the CPU.

I think there's a real misunderstanding of what "hardware accelerated" ray tracing is.

For me the clearly different routes taken by Sony and MS are ideal for me.

I love the idea that PS5 will have PS5 only games and that Sony are committed to gens.

i use my Pro for WWS and VR games so getting WES creating games just for PS5 is fantastic. I’m really looking forward to Sony’s game presentation when it happens - I feel that the games they will show will be very good. In terms of BC if my PS4 games work that’s me happy. That is all I need from Sony - PS5 with proper PS5 ‘next gen’ games and the ability to take my huge digital PS4 library with me.

Best thing is, none of whyi want a PS5 clashes with what MS are doing and the reasons I’ll get their box too - so both will have a place in the rack. Both are going to offer different things so it’s really exciting when you know both will be under your tv on day one

In reality all raytracing is hardware based, it's done by the GPU with some help from the CPU.

I think there's a real misunderstanding of what "hardware accelerated" ray tracing is.
‘Dedicated‘ ray tracing hardware is the term you are looking for.

both PS5 (Intersection Engine) and series x have dedicated hw for ray tracing.

It seems CU count is very important hence the expected x advantage. But I don’t think RT is going to be massive on either as it’s very expensive.

Wow it’s like PS4 Xbox one all over again.

it’s just this time the players have just picked up the opposite script now?

ZT banging on about how power doesn’t matter. How res isn’t noticed. How hardware advantage doesn’t matter. Trying to say software RT solutions are better than hardware.

Same on the other side - they’ve now take on the other arguments from 2013 that power is it.
It’s a role reversal. I do wonder that member realize their posts from PS4 xone release are still there.

Guess it’s just the way it rolls

Nice straw man. Misrepresenting my next gen views and current gen views in one go :smashin:

I never said power doesn't matter, just as I never said it was the only thing that mattered last time round. Power also isn't just a single measure, but you know this.

Of course resolution differences can be noticed, but just as i argued last gen they're a function of how close you are and to what size of screen. You didn't have to be too far from a 55" TV to notice the difference between 1080p and 720/900p. You'll have a much harder time noticing the difference between native 4K and "faked" 4k with 85% of the pixel count. I think you know this too and you know that this is not remotely an inconsistent position.

I am not arguing one raytracing solution over the other, I was correcting the misinformation that it didn't feature UE5, it did. And all raytracing is ultimately hardware based, my question on this is how many "bounces" will be enough for raytracing to 1) make a big difference to your game and 2) be noticeably different between platforms - I asked this a couple of pages back (and I don't know the answer) if one console does 1 billion light bounces per second and the other can only do 850 million, will we notice?

And to sign off on this subject, I still contend that the most important factor of all is games.

no gran Turismo , no PS5 for me until it happens unless GTS is going to look a lot better than it does now ......

I think he was just pointing out that the Tech Demo was not using HWBRT, don't think he ever said PS5 did not have HWBRT.

Can't believe all this arguing over a tech demo....a Tech Demo !
I'm not claiming it is - my point was merely that Ray Tracing is one area we might see graphical difference given its performance is tied to CU count. Its expensive so it will be interesting to see how it is handled this generation. It is the most obvious breakthrough but at a cost to performance.
Sometimes I find it difficult to truly understand the point that is trying to be made... Probably just got lost in the processing of the recent tittle tattle.
By now, I would hope that we all know PS5 has HWBRT, just like XBsX, it just seemed odd that there was any reference to any platform specific titles with it confirmed.
PS5 has a lower GPU CU count. XBsX will more than likely be better at presentation of fully ray traced scenarios due to this... but how both systems handle illumination bounce as we move forward will be interesting to see, as will how much noticeable difference those differences in CU count will make.
Both units will take advantage of their HWBRT capabilities, regardless of any SWBRT features in specific engines.
If the message is that HWBRT is expensive and tied to CU count and it'll be good to see what happens moving forward, please just say so.

yeah , been rumours , I will be first in the queue if it is !!!

If they have Horizon Zero Dawn 2 and Gran Turismo as launch games, man that will drive sales like nothing else and I’d grab both!!...

Considering how much noise Sony have been making about this up coming event, I won’t be surprised to see several huge PlayStation exclusives making an appearance on the PS5. I like Uncharted but don’t think we’ll see anything new, but it’ll be great to see the older games enhances on the PS5.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they have Horizon Zero Dawn 2 and Gran Turismo as launch games, man that will drive sales like nothing else and I’d grab both!!...

I kind of get the feeling that GT? may well be a possibility due to less and less updates happening with GTS , also , there have been some very questionable decisions made over the penalty system in game , these have been changed quite quickly which suggests they may be testing things out with GTS , all guesses but seem to add up , maybe .........

I kind of get the feeling that GT? may well be a possibility due to less and less updates happening with GTS , also , there have been some very questionable decisions made over the penalty system in game , these have been changed quite quickly which suggests they may be testing things out with GTS , all guesses but seem to add up , maybe .........

Interesting, the only thing with GT is Sony seem to have to pry it from Polyphony’s hands with a crowbar to launch it haha! The perfectionist they are.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom