PS5

Lancia34

Distinguished Member

zt1903

Distinguished Member
Static image possibly but a moving video game highly unlikely.
Exactly.

Same for raytracing. If Series X manages 1 billion bounces per second and PS5 only manages 850 million will anyone really notice?

Have to say I'm glad I'm ignoring iwb, just peeked at his latest effort and my god how is it possible to get so many things wrong in one post!

iwb100

Distinguished Member
A Terraflop is meaningless, it’s a theoretical measurement of one part of one component of the entire system. And you can make up for the lack of CU cores and also the Unreal Engine 5 demo clearly displayed the RT the PS5 is capable off, you haven’t seen anything of the Series X apart from the game demos from the other day and they were not very impressive at all.
There was no ray tracing in the UE5 demo....

Xbox have shown full path ray tracing already with their minecraft demo. From a technical point of view that was seriously nuts. Clearly not going to be possible on all games but still...

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Static image possibly but a moving video game highly unlikely.
Resolution is more noticeable in a moving game. Not because you can screen count pixels, but because the more pixel information you render the better your AA solution works, the fewer jaggies you have and the lower amount of artefacts present.

I don’t think resolution is be and end all, but around this time in 2013 Sony were claiming that higher resolution made you a better gamer. Let’s not forget that.

zt1903

Distinguished Member
Completely and utterly wrong. What is real-time global illumination if not ray tracing?

Spoiler Alert! It is ray tracing.

To quote Digital Foundry - Lumen is essentially a non-triangle ray tracing based version of bounced lighting - which basically distributes light around the scene after the first hit of lighting.

Xbox have shown full path ray tracing already with their minecraft demo. From a technical point of view that was seriously nuts. Clearly not going to be possible on all games but still...
Yeah, it looks great but it's Minecraft. You may have noticed this but it's not a graphically complex game. That demo would probably run on One X/PS4 Pro with a little optimisation based on minimum specs for the beta.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Completely and utterly wrong. What is real-time global illumination if not ray tracing?

Spoiler Alert! It is ray tracing.

To quote Digital Foundry - Lumen is essentially a non-triangle ray tracing based version of bounced lighting - which basically distributes light around the scene after the first hit of lighting.

Yeah, it looks great but it's Minecraft. You may have noticed this but it's not a graphically complex game. That demo would probably run on One X/PS4 Pro with a little optimisation based on minimum specs for the beta.
You know very well it didn’t....as per DF. The demo did not utilise hardware based ray tracing. Lumen is not ray tracing. It achieves a similar result...we will have to wait and see a comparison as to how much better if at all proper hardware accelerated ray tracing can look on console. A software GI solution may be neat but you know exactly what I meant.

And I quote from DF...directly....

In lieu of triangle-based hardware-accelerated ray tracing, the UE5 demo on PlayStation 5 utilises screen-space as seen in current generation games to cover small details, which are then combined with a virtualised shadow map
Finally your little digs are totally unnecessary. Your posts from 2013 and 2014 are all there still!

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
Any translators in the house. I want to know what the box is next to the VR headset?

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Resolution is more noticeable in a moving game. Not because you can screen count pixels, but because the more pixel information you render the better your AA solution works, the fewer jaggies you have and the lower amount of artefacts present.

I don’t think resolution is be and end all, but around this time in 2013 Sony were claiming that higher resolution made you a better gamer. Let’s not forget that.
Not at those levels, even with a decent quality 4K TV and most people if they have 4K it’s a cheap rubbish LCD so moist point for those people ;)
I play 4K, checkerboard, dynamic res and really if the game is well designed I wouldn’t notice unless I kept pausing to examine.

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member

zt1903

Distinguished Member
You know very well it didn’t....as per DF. The demo did not utilise hardware based ray tracing. Lumen is not ray tracing. It achieves a similar result...we will have to wait and see a comparison as to how much better if at all proper hardware accelerated ray tracing can look on console. A software GI solution may be neat but you know exactly what I meant.

Got it. So ray tracing is only "proper" if it's hardware accelerated.

John 11 35.

@Cha1ky , my apologies I'll stop engaging.

rowedav

Distinguished Member
Ultimately both systems will be great with cutting edge tech and lots of custom features to produce some cracking games, so we're all in for a treat. The fact they have both taken slightly different approaches to achieve their goals makes it more interesting.
Get out of here with that sensible and reasonable talk!

zt1903

Distinguished Member
Ultimately both systems will be great with cutting edge tech and lots of custom features to produce some cracking games, so we're all in for a treat. The fact they have both taken slightly different approaches to achieve their goals makes it more interesting.
I agree.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member

apolloa

Distinguished Member

The people from epic had in depth discussion whilst demoing the raytracing light bouncing effects in the video?

Here’s the video if you need help remember what they talked about:

Why is it not ray tracing?

Last edited:

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
For everyone's sake can you both just agree to disagree. I (like many I'm sure) come on here for interesting news updates not constant willy waving 😉

apolloa

Distinguished Member
Yeap they will be incredibly close in performance or the PS5 will edge it due to the SSD. We will have to wait and see.

apolloa

Distinguished Member

Finally your little digs are totally unnecessary. Your posts from 2013 and 2014 are all there still!
Lumen is hardware accelerated ray tracing.

The clue is in the real time fully dynamic global illumination. Which according to the first article I linked to you can’t do without hardware accelerated ray tracing very well. It’ll look just as good on both consoles I’m sure.

Last edited:

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Actually Lumen is hardware accelerated ray tracing.

The clue is in the real time fully dynamic global illumination. Which you can’t do without hardware accelerated ray tracing very well. It’ll look just as good on both consoles I’m sure.
No it isn't - its a software based technique. But regardless it may be a way of improving lighting with GI without utilising a potentially more expensive hardware accelerated technique. A number of games announced for XSX have confirmed hardware based RT - The medium, Bright Memory:infinite - so we'll be able to compare - ultimately UE5 will support it too in the end for direct comparison.