PS5

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Yeap but I moved the full post into the other thread, and you didn’t quote my post anyway. Still stands though.
Yeah, I tend to forget to quote posts, you seem to edit yours quite a bit, sorry. Can you post your links to PS5 price and dimensions? I've not seen any confirmed price information about the X or PS5:

Well I’ve got to say it’s not looking good for Sony currently. We’ve had rumours that the home console is twice as thick as the PS4 Pro which is massive, it’ll cost more then the Series X, and Sony has decided to play politics with its showcase video highlighting the games and console. All we need now is for Microsoft’s planned event to show first party games to be as good if not better then the Unreal Engine 5 demo and they are away with the sales..
Why is MS having a good reveal a bad thing?

apolloa

Distinguished Member
Thick as in height? I expect it be be fair bit higher than the PS4 Pro to allow for much better cooling whist not having to increase the width or depth too much - makes perfect sense to me and nothing like the huge inconvenient box that Microsoft have made. I would like to think it might follow the look of the dev kit in some way possibly.
Then again, maybe it'll be a giant pyramid! :D

No news on price so no one can say if it'll cost more or less atm.
Yes thick as in height as far as I know, I hope not as the PS4 Pro is big enough! And their was a recent interview where Sony highlighted it won’t be cheap, but it’ll offer ‘good value’, many have transpired that to mean more then the Series X citing Microsoft can take the hit, Sony can’t.

"I think the best way that we can address this is by providing the best possible value proposition that we can. I don't necessarily mean lowest price. Value is a combination of many things. In our area it means games, it means number of games, depth of games, breadth of games, quality of games, price of games... all of these things and how they avail themselves of the feature set of the platform”

Basically they are implying the value will come from its games, not the sticker price of the console, that’s how I read it.

Last edited:

apolloa

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I tend to forget to quote posts, you seem to edit yours quite a bit, sorry. Can you post your links to PS5 price and dimensions? I've not seen any confirmed price information about the X or PS5:

Why is MS having a good reveal a bad thing?
I didn’t mean that? Did I say that? Didn’t think I did, sorry if I implied that as I didn’t mean to. I think Microsoft will have a stellar launch the way they are going.. they just need the games.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Well I’ve got to say it’s not looking good for Sony currently. We’ve had rumours that the home console is twice as thick as the PS4 Pro which is massive, it’ll cost more then the Series X, and Sony has decided to play politics with its showcase video highlighting the games and console. All we need now is for Microsoft’s planned event to show first party games to be as good if not better then the Unreal Engine 5 demo and they are away with the sales..
Saying they are playing politics is insulting and degrading.

And it’s clear their PS5 reveal was going to be big. Really big. It will happen. And Xbox will have good stuff too. Choice all round.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
Saying they are playing politics is insulting and degrading.

And it’s clear their PS5 reveal was going to be big. Really big. It will happen. And Xbox will have good stuff too. Choice all round.
Sony are playing politics, can’t help you if you can’t see that. But carry on. And no the way they are going they won’t have as big a launch as they hoped, particularly if they price the console high. This is an entirely new leadership team launching the PS5, no guarantee it’ll repeat the success of the PS4 currently.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Thick as in height? I expect it be be fair bit higher than the PS4 Pro to allow for much better cooling whist not having to increase the width or depth too much - makes perfect sense to me and nothing like the huge inconvenient box that Microsoft have made. I would like to think it might follow the look of the dev kit in some way possibly.
Then again, maybe it'll be a giant pyramid! :D

No news on price so no one can say if it'll cost more or less atm.
Huge box? The series X is really small. For something that powerful? Not sure anyone could have expected it to be as small as it is. The form factor is going to be divisive but there was literally no way they could have made a box that small and powerful any other way. You’re trading off between size and form factor. I think they wanted it to be different. Probably not the way I’d have gone but then you’d be saying their box was way too big or some such.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Sony are playing politics, can’t help you if you can’t see that. But carry on. And no the way they are going they won’t have as big a launch as they hoped, particularly if they price the console high. This is an entirely new leadership team launching the PS5, no guarantee it’ll repeat the success of the PS4 currently.
Look, if they are making a stand against people dying then call it what you want. No doubt there were people like you who said intervening in genocides like the holocaust is ‘playing politics’. Sometimes you just have to do the right thing.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
I think something close to this design could work:

Not the best looking, not that Sony seem to worry about looks of their consoles..

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Yes thick as in height as far as I know, I hope not as the PS4 Pro is big enough! And their was a recent interview where Sony highlighted it won’t be cheap, but it’ll offer ‘good value’, many have transpired that to mean more then the Series X citing Microsoft can take the hit, Sony can’t.

"I think the best way that we can address this is by providing the best possible value proposition that we can. I don't necessarily mean lowest price. Value is a combination of many things. In our area it means games, it means number of games, depth of games, breadth of games, quality of games, price of games... all of these things and how they avail themselves of the feature set of the platform”

Basically they are implying the value will come from its games, not the sticker price of the console, that’s how I read it.
Well apart from the SSD which we presume is more expensive option than the Microsoft one then the XBox is probably more expensive in every other aspect...apart from the case that is as it's just a shoe box on its end (albeit a stealthy looking shoe box) :)

I think prices might be comparable unless MS undercut and happy to lose money on theirs.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
Look, if they are making a stand against people dying then call it what you want. No doubt there were people like you who said intervening in genocides like the holocaust is ‘playing politics’. Sometimes you just have to do the right thing.
I could argue with you all day on how your wrong, but this is a PS5 thread, so I won’t and I’d suggest you stop posting that before a mod blocks you.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
Well apart from the SSD which we presume is more expensive option than the Microsoft one then the XBox is probably more expensive in every other aspect...apart from the case that is as it's just a shoe box on its end (albeit a stealthy looking shoe box) :)

I think prices might be comparable unless MS undercut and happy to lose money on theirs.
I think price is going to be more key then ever before, trouble is the PS4 used a lot of off the shelf components, the PS3 was highly customised and as a a result incredibly expensive, I just hope for their sake having a highly custom SSD and Sound chip and other systems doesn’t make it the same expensive machine as the PS3 was,

Miss Mandy

I've already had to tidy the event thread because of ridiculous rants about Sony and what's going on as well as people dragging politics into it. This is not the forum for those discussions so please cut it out.
We don't have to agree with Sony's decision or their reasons, but neither are anything we can change.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
I could argue with you all day on how your wrong, but this is a PS5 thread, so I won’t and I’d suggest you stop posting that before a mod blocks you.
Aside from politics the PS5 is going to be fine. It will sell very well. Better than Xbox. Because the PS brand is a lot stronger. And Sony will have plenty of well made and hugely popular games. They were advertising their reveal on commercial TV. That suggests their reveal was big.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
I've already had to tidy the event thread because of ridiculous rants about Sony and what's going on as well as people dragging politics into it. This is not the forum for those discussions so please cut it out.
We don't have to agree with Sony's decision or their reasons, but neither are anything we can change.
Thanks, we all need to shout I think after the year it’s been so far, and then for a glimmer of something to take your mind off it all being delayed... But we need to shout in the politics forum..

Just looking forward to what happens next, maybe the dinosaurs will rise again? I just hope they don’t delay too long, or that we get some proper leaks of the console from the manufacturing line, apparently it’s started mass production.

zt1903

Distinguished Member
Am I following this discussion properly? The rumoured PS5 (that no one has seen yet) at twice the thickness of the Pro is bad, but the Series X at three times the thickness is not?

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
Am I following this discussion properly? The rumoured PS5 (that no one has seen yet) at twice the thickness of the Pro is bad, but the Series X at three times the thickness is not?
3 times is better than 2 times. You should know that 😂

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
I think price is going to be more key then ever before, trouble is the PS4 used a lot of off the shelf components, the PS3 was highly customised and as a a result incredibly expensive, I just hope for their sake having a highly custom SSD and Sound chip and other systems doesn’t make it the same expensive machine as the PS3 was,
PS3 was expensive because they used it to push Blu Ray to win the battle with HDDVD. Their Betemax format lost out to VHS previously and they couldn't afford to have history repeating itself. They therefore used Playstation to drive Blu ray numbers and actually took a massive hit on every console at launch i believe, even though it was really expensive for a console. Compared to Stand alone Blu Ray players that were about £1k at the time it was the cheapest Blu Ray player on the market for years, and due to regular updates, one of the best.

Cha1ky

No price confirmed yet for either machine and no system reveal but it cost more than XSX and is twice the size of a pro..........

richp007

Distinguished Member
Sony have got a lot to answer for in my opinion now.

Do they not know we've reached 125 pages and we've no picture or price yet :laugh:

apolloa

Distinguished Member
PS3 was expensive because they used it to push Blu Ray to win the battle with HDDVD. Their Betemax format lost out to VHS previously and they couldn't afford to have history repeating itself. They therefore used Playstation to drive Blu ray numbers and actually took a massive hit on every console at launch i believe, even though it was really expensive for a console. Compared to Stand alone Blu Ray players that were about £1k at the time it was the cheapest Blu Ray player on the market for years, and due to regular updates, one of the best.
That was one component, but that’s like the new SSD then in the PS5, it’s said to be prohibitively expensive to make especially the custom controller. I doubt we’ll know for several months though with the way Sony’s going,

Cha1ky

That was one component, but that’s like the new SSD then in the PS5, it’s said to be prohibitively expensive to make especially the custom controller. I doubt we’ll know for several months though with the way Sony’s going,
You can buy a 1 TB NVME that makes use of PCIE 4.0 for around £150 so dont think it will be as huge a price as some may think. These were the requirements i'm sure from that road to PS5 video. I'm sure its not just an off the shelf type component but they did say that they will let us know.