PS5 General Chat

No genuine news just yet, and why would there be as the PS4 is selling so well.

The Ps4 gen started Nov 2013, and even though I would have never thought so, it may be a 7 year (minimum) generation - thanks to the midgen upgrades.

The PS4 is basically a custom AMD PC laptop so when next gen mobile parts from AMD become available that's when new Sony hardware appears.

The first gen AMD Ryzen SoC's (system on chip with CPU/GPU) for PC laptops are going on sale this year, whatever Sony winds up using in PS5 will likely be a customized variant of a later generation of those.

Ryzen would offer a significant performance bump over the old Jaguar CPU core in PS4 series, something Sony would wait for once it's at a price point it can sell.

Any genuine news on when PS5 will be released?

Not yet but if it is to release in late 2019 then between March (GDC) and June (E3) is when we'll get the first legit leaks/articles. Jason Schreier (Kotaku journo) has a prediction that we'll get the first leaks this year and I don't think he would say this unless sure/in the know.

Otherwise late 2020 will mean ~March-June next year before any leaks but I still favour late 2019 as I think it is PlayStation's 25th anniversary and doubt Sony would want to miss that opportunity!

Not yet but if it is to release in late 2019 then between March (GDC) and June (E3) is when we'll get the first legit leaks/articles. Jason Schreier (Kotaku journo) has a prediction that we'll get the first leaks this year and I don't think he would say this unless sure/in the know.

Otherwise late 2020 will mean ~March-June next year before any leaks but I still favour late 2019 as I think it is PlayStation's 25th anniversary and doubt Sony would want to miss that opportunity!
Thanks Criggy

So what spec do you guys expect/want?

For me:

10-12TF Vega/Navi custom mix
Zen CPU 8-core mobile variant
16-24GB GDDR6
500-700GB/s bandwidth
BD 100GB (not so sure about 4K movie playback!)
Possibly some sort of magic SSD-like gizmo that makes loading faster?
£350-£400
Late 2019 (3rd December is the 25th anniversary)

Do you think the e-coin mining shenanigans will affect console prices going forward? PC gaming has always been more expensive at HW level, but now GPU prices are being massively inflated due to farmers buying them up and memory has been getting more expensive too. Are we looking at £450+ PS5?

XBX has managed to come out at a good price for the spec, so hopefully consoles are immune, however, £450 is deemed the xbox premium product at double the price of the baseline. Releasing an expensive baseline new gen console historically shows slow console growth until the cheaper SKU becomes available.

Of course e-mining could be a bubble and things go back to normality in a year or two, but I think any new console with bigger specs than the XBX is going to be a high price in this current climate. Compared to a PC they will still be extremely competitive, but I'm not sure a PS5 can be released around the £350 mark like the original PS4, which certainly helped it get a big user base quickly back in 2013..

Do you think the e-coin mining shenanigans will affect console prices going forward? PC gaming has always been more expensive at HW level, but now GPU prices are being massively inflated due to farmers buying them up and memory has been getting more expensive too. Are we looking at £450+ PS5?

XBX has managed to come out at a good price for the spec, so hopefully consoles are immune, however, £450 is deemed the xbox premium product at double the price of the baseline. Releasing an expensive baseline new gen console historically shows slow console growth until the cheaper SKU becomes available.

Of course e-mining could be a bubble and things go back to normality in a year or two, but I think any new console with bigger specs than the XBX is going to be a high price in this current climate. Compared to a PC they will still be extremely competitive, but I'm not sure a PS5 can be released around the £350 mark like the original PS4, which certainly helped it get a big user base quickly back in 2013..

I think the mining stuff will have little to no influence I should think (hope). I do think >£400 is a very real possibility this time round and not just because of inflation. Microsoft especially seem comfortable with a £430 and now £450 price but Sony stuck with £350 for both.

Loving the thread.

Personally hoping that it will be able to run 4K 60fps native!!

Only those games that always/require 60fps like COD and racers will do 60fps. Most other devs will always choose better graphics at 30fps even if they've got a petaflop of GPU power!

the big drawback this console gen was the jaguar cpu which is a bit outdated now where as the graphics capabilities were updated with pro and x.

Meh, i'm content with the PS4, and, to my mind, the console is still fairly young.

I'm not even sure if I would bother getting a PS5 when it comes out. There were a lot of promises made about the PS4 (CD playback, classic compatible games, etc) that just didn't happen in the end. And there are way too many first person perspective games out there for my tastes, and that's a perspective I dislike big time.

The PS4 might be it for me whenthat dies, i'll just get another PS4!

Well my PS4 is 5 years old this year, have to say that given the amount of pretty much daily user its had, great bit of kit.

It will need a refresh, lack of 1080 / 60 FPS on the base model and Pro not hitting full 4k, PS5 is inevitable, or a Pro+. I'd be quite happy to see generational game releases bite the dust. Release games for your platform of your choice and allow the user to decide which device model they want to use.

How long have you had your PS4 for, mate? To be honest, i'm surprised you just found this out..
Never tried to play a CD in the PS4 before. Just assumed it was a given as practically anything with a disc tray has in the past could at the very least play a CD...until now :eek:

Never tried to play a CD in the PS4 before. Just assumed it was a given as practically anything with a disc tray has in the past could at the very least play a CD...until now :eek:

Yeah, very disappointing and doesn't really make sense. There are far more features not the PS3 than on the PS4. You can't even play WAV music off a USB on the PS4, which is ridiculous.

Thank god for my Yamaha amplifier as that at least allows me to play uncompressed music on a stick, albeit with no way of managing and filing the content.

Wait. The PS4 can’t play CDs? I didn’t know that.
I think it meant paying for a license. Rip CDs to MP3 or FLAC, stick on a hard drive and play using the media player.

I think it meant paying for a license. Rip CDs to MP3 or FLAC, stick on a hard drive and play using the media player.
I’m pretty sure the patents for CDs would have expired by now (20 years) so shouldn’t have to pay a licensing fee to play CDs on a PS4.

Phillips came up with CDs. They still have this:

Philips IP&S

Or maybe Sony just can't be arsed.

I can't remember the last time I actually played a CD and no one buys a console to play CDs.

I buy CDs, they just go in my laptop and get ripped to MP3 and FLAC then the CD goes under the stairs.

Phillips came up with CDs. They still have this:

Philips IP&S

Or maybe Sony just can't be arsed.

I can't remember the last time I actually played a CD and no one buys a console to play CDs.

I buy CDs, they just go in my laptop and get ripped to MP3 and FLAC then the CD goes under the stairs.
Phillips AND Sony co-developed CDs :)
Compact disc - Wikipedia

Many of the patents started expiring back in 2001/2002 (20 years). I suspect the rest of the patents would now have expired in the intervening 15/16 years.
COMPANY NEWS; PHILIPS SAYS ROYALTY REVENUE TO DROP AS PATENTS EXPIRE

Yep played a couple of SACD on PS3 in the past, but don’t generally play CDs on consoles either hence why I’ve never noticed the PS4 couldn’t play them. Strange omission though.

Phillips AND Sony co-developed CDs :)
Compact disc - Wikipedia
And? :)

Whichever way you look at it it won't happen. The Wii had an optical drive and it didn't play CDs, DVD, Bluray's etc. I also had an original PS3 and two later ones. SACD playback was dropped on the latter PS3's.

The PS4 has now sold 70 million without CD playback, and I don't think anyone misses it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom