Question PS5 vs Xbox series

Probably should've clarified what I meant by MS coming out swinging, I was talking about pure hardware on the games front I think they're making a big mistake by not coming out with exclusive games and tbh why would you bother with an X1S when all the MS exclusives can be played on your PC or Cloud, gives very little incentive imo to buy one whereas Sony with their huge install base and insane first party exclusives will run away again

I'll be queuing midnight again like I did for the original PS4, my Pro will goto the kid for the back room with the Ps5 taking pride of place under my soon to be purchased LG C9. I'll probably move the PS4 up into the bedroom but what I'd really wish for is if Sony allowed some sort of family sharing as we've both been gaming on my ps+ account and now can't play our own games at the same time, I've a massive list of digital games/ps+ games that I've never played but it's be great if we could both share the same library at the same time

This is one of the reasons I stuck with PC for my family, because Steam allows you to play at the same time on different games. With the fragmentation of the PC games market though it's not always a given that you can do that as not everything is on Steam. Notably Origin is a bit tricky sometimes and forces you to play offline if you are using a second pc at the same time. Either that or split the purchases between two accounts. It's not a big problem at the moment as Fortnite is free to play, as well as being cross-platform.

I would be much more interested in consoles if this were possible. With 3 kids, it's a big consideration, as is cross-play between platforms for online play with friends etc.

Purchased a One X, the ethernet port never worked on it, only Wii for some reason, AO.com wouldn't have it back, then 3 months later it repeatedly starting hanging and crashing in games, it got sent to Germany to be repaired, came back after 3 weeks, it worked for another 6 months and started doing the same thing, again it was sent to Germany for repair, got it back after 5 weeks, it lasted another 3 months before it started doing it again.

After both repairs the ethernet never worked.

It eventually died and even though it had never really been fixed they wanted nothing to do with it.

My first console was a Sega Master System, I've always had as many as I can get as I want to play the games, I have no allegiance to any one console maker.

But it's a PS5 this time, not spending another £400 on something they didnt fix then washed their hands with.

This is why Amazon / John Lewis get so much business. If its broken you just return it, no fuss.

I honestly don't think Microsoft are concerned over who sells more hardware, or Sony running away with it again.

They have a profitable business model and their subscriptions and services are excellent value for money.

Not having an exclusive game for the Series X on launch won't stop me buying it. I bought a One X at launch, not because of exclusives, but to play the best version of games possible.

The great thing is that everyone has a choice, and like I said when it comes to the spec of SX or PS5, I can't see anyone being disappointed.

EDIT - Just read this article, there's a few typo's in it but can't be far from the truth!

Last edited:
Who freakin cares about Xbox or PlayStation? I was born Nintendo raised Nintendo and will stick with my Switch Lite and my computer till the day I give up on gaming.

Clearly not the thread for you then...:facepalm:

Well,
Its not so much a case of ports. Digital Foundry's concern was in terms of A.I, ambition, inovation etc. Because last gen can only handle so much and has reached its limit and things like A.I is still pretty dumb on most games and stuff like that. And when you have to make a game with the last generation in mind, that means everything from graphics, A.I, scale and everything has to be made with last gen in mind first. This means none of the new Xbox games will be pushing the hardware at all. And it will be the first time in history where a new console hasn't launched with a showcase title that was purley designed for the next gen consoles to show off what they can do. They think that's a real bad decision by Microsoft and Microsoft should have made some showcase titles. The new CPU's and GPU's are far more advanced which means way better A.I and everything. But not if you have to make the game for the old consoles. And they won't make a set of A.I for last gen and a new set for new gen as its too time consuming and leaves people on last gen behind, which isn't what Microsoft wants. Sony's going to be making some games that are just PS5 only to show off what the PS5 is capable of.
Well, I disagree with DF on that one. Not that AI and other CPU-intensive game elements won't be scaled down, but that anyone will really notice. Honestly, one guy that flanks you when you're hunkered behind cover is much like another. It's like hardware raytracing. I have a 2080ti, and games where hardware raytracing is turned on, I cannot honeslty say they look 'better'. Different, sure, but not 'better'. Game devs have become too good at fudging decent baked-in lighting models.

Same with AI. NPCs might not be combat Einsteins, but devs have become very good at faking it. The difference in how an enemy or NPC behaves might in the background mean theywent through a more complex series of decisions to take the action they ultimately took, but the difference to the player is minimal if any different at all.

Honestly, you will see. Top-end experiences will look, feel and play top-end, and we shouldn't get hung up on imperceptible background stuff like AI. Not until we're talking about fully artifically intelligent NPCs with actual artificial minds, that is. But we're several decades away from that.

Last edited:
PS5 for me without a doubt, due to the their exclusives and for the fact that I have always had playstations. Have pre - ordered mine already 🙂
Who have you pre-ordered yours with? Didn't even know it was up for pre order yet...

for me xbox series x will be one step ahead of ps5 for power performance etc etc...as for exclusive games ps5 will beat xbox

The current Xbox is already 'ahead' of PlayStation in raw power. So what. MS can wave that flag all they want. It doesn't mean success. They need games for that and that's something they've lacked sine they entered the console arena.

The current Xbox is already 'ahead' of PlayStation in raw power. So what. MS can wave that flag all they want. It doesn't mean success. They need games for that and that's something they've lacked sine they entered the console arena.
Lacked for a while maybe, but since they entered the console arena? Dont be daft.

90% likely I will go with PS5. I had both last gen, preferred Xbox360 to PS3. Due to life getting in the way and minimal gaming time, I decided I would only go with one console this time around, and well THAT infamous E3 and I was straight on a PS4 pre-order and upgraded to Pro a few years ago.

Nothing MS is doing these days appeals to me enough to buy a console and I can't see that changing, unless they have some major game announcements. I would like Forza, but I couldn't play racers with a pad again and my wheel setup is not Xbox compatible. The last Halo I really enjoyed was Reach. (I've played 4 as my son had an Xbox One, but even he traded it in recently as it was gathering dust, little exclusive games to play he hadn't already and most of his friends are Playstation).

I'm no fanboy myself. I never had an original Xbox, PS1 or PS2. I was Sega, PC and Nintendo in those days. I still enjoy Nintendo regularly via my son's switch. Thought of going back to PC over PS5 until I looked at the price of modern GPUs. I have been out of the loop so long, my last system was bult for Half-life 2 with a Pentium 4 and Geforce 6800! You'll be lucky to get a GPU capable of what the next gen systems put out at launch for the price, let alone the rest of the system.

Likely Xbox for me again, I do miss some of the exclusives on PS, but I don't buy as many games as I used to, and I can quite easily skip some good games now.
And seen as I don't spend as much on games, Game Pass is such a good deal for me.

I just can't get both consoles now, just because of time I get for gaming, and I've had both in past and one always ended up getting very little use, just can't justify the cost of that and the subs you need for both to play online.

What's everyone's verdict on the looks of the new consoles since ps5 reveal event tonight? I personally feel the Xbox just looks more like a pc tower (nothing against that) I feel the ps5 looks sleek and different not too sure if I like it on its side but won't be able to stand up due to my shelfing unit. Not that the looks will change my mind on what I'm buying just want to know others opinions on the matter

Looks decent, but not my thing, plus wouldn't suit the rest of my gear. Surprised they are doing a digital only version.

The PS5 looks like some sort of weird space toy, not my thing at all.

I prefer understated designs and peace & quiet, design wise the Xbox definitely has it.

The PS5 looks like some sort of weird space toy, not my thing at all.

I prefer understated designs and peace & quiet, design wise the Xbox definitely has it.
At first I thought the Playstation Router looked great, but less so the more I look at it. The disc slot is really out of place, the digital one looks better without the slot. But no way would a I buy that one and being stuck with paying overpriced digital copies and no 2nd hand market. There's a good chance I'm guessing this might be the last physical media console, so I'm going to enjoy them.

Either way the Xbox is going to be my first purchase of the two.

The games shown tonight were not exactly blowing my frock up. Deathloop was the pick for me and probably Res 8 Village. The rest? Meh, didn't help being being terrible picture feed.

My thoughts too on the disc drive, just looks bizarre. I think it being horizontal also looks odd, like its on some kind of platform.

Xbox got slated for their recent 'gameplay' reveal, but majority of this was as well!

My thoughts too on the disc drive, just looks bizarre. I think it being horizontal also looks odd, like its on some kind of platform.

Xbox got slated for their recent 'gameplay' reveal, but majority of this was as well!
I beleive from pictures I have seen it looks like the stand can be used to make it horizontal but I agree it does look odd. Will this make it better for keeping the console cooler though...

I beleive from pictures I have seen it looks like the stand can be used to make it horizontal but I agree it does look odd. Will this make it better for keeping the console cooler though...
You are right, doesnt make it look any better though imo.
20200612_011331.jpg

Screenshot_20200612-073448_WhatsApp.jpg

For rough comparison, credit to user on DF.

20200612_074037.jpg

Also looks like some lucky person has one already

Screenshot_20200612-075920_WhatsApp.jpg

Last edited:
Apart from the PS1 I don't think Sony has designed a console without some or a lot of ridicule.

You are right, doesnt make it look any better though imo.
View attachment 1316307

View attachment 1316308
I agree here with it not looking better on its side. Personally it doesn't matter too much to me as I won't be watching the console will be watching what's on the screen 😂 iv seen so many memes of this going around now 😂

I'm personally still edging to ps5 because of the titles coming out with LOU2, horizon forbidden west, demons souls

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom