PS5 VR General

Stinja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jim Ryan has said PSVR(1) will be compatible with the PS5, and the camera will not be included as standard. So presumably that also means the current camera is compatible too.

Also it is kinda interesting how the PSVR headset black+white design fits with the PS5:

PSVR-sony-e1555441323440.jpg

ps5-render-cropped.jpg

"On the camera, am I buying that separately? And what's going on with your PSVR virtual reality headset?

All that we have said to date, and we're not adding to it tonight, is that the current PlayStation VR is compatible with PS5. The camera that we demonstrated tonight will be available as a peripheral, it will not be in the box at launch."

oooo and Low-Fi VR confirmed coming to PS5:

Cyberpunk-ish VR game (obviously) which looks pretty good:

I think it will be a year after launch before an announcement but I’ll be on a new VR headset for PS5 like a tramp on chips

Sony hasn't mentioned that the PS5 camera is used for VR in any of their marketing only streaming or creating videos for game clips etc, which makes me think the next headset uses inside-out tracking ie no external camera or sensors are needed it's built into the headset like the Rift-S and Quest which the Patent and rumours have suggested.

it had better, PSVR is barely competent as it stands now and in the market where the Quest exists it has to ditch the camera and become a real VR headset, PS5 has the power to run it. It could be really good, give them a while to get some PS5's sold and we will see .

Star Wars: Squadrons seems to be made for VR, so hopefully better than Ace Combat's limited missions. The creative director, Ian Frazier, also said it's taking from the Star Wars experience, and making a proper VR game from that :smashin:

“So this game is like, really, really, really, from the ground up, both 2D and VR. ... I don’t know about you, but playing the the Rogue One VR mission in the first Star Wars Battlefront is frigging amazing. And you see that and you’re like, “Can I just have a lot more of this?” And we thought, ‘Well, yes. Yes. You can. We’ll build that.’ And so that’s very much what we’ve been doing with Squadrons.” "

Note Sony has said “new PS4 games that are submitted for certification after July 13, 2020 must be compatible with the PS5 once they release.” so this will be playable on current PSVR hardware.

Last edited:
Huge Star Wars fan but where I don't have VR atm, I hope the game is supported by the PS5 Version of VR Headset when it comes and by then may be able to get it for cheap

Is VR pausing on ps5 for a bit?

Jim Ryan’s comments about VR not being meaningful for a couple of years, coupled with the news (I think it’s confirmed) that you won’t be able to get VR with ps5 versions of PS4 games that did have VR, has left me feeling that psvr 1 is being softly dropped. It’s a backwards compatible peripheral only?

Maybe Sony want to make a bigger splash with PSVR 2, so they are quietly emptying the playing field?

Edited in addition- Is it possible to download a PS4 version of a game to ps5 to allow you to play the VR version of a game?!

Last edited:
I think its still up in the air for a PSVR2 happening. I think they are looking at some maths based on how many PS5s need to be sold to make the very low VR take up percent of those sales to balance out the cost of dev the hardware and paying for a game or two to be exclusive on ps5. Also the state of the VR market at the time, is it healthy , is it making enough money? 2023 is my guess, Sony are not in a position to make a huge loss on VR like they did on PSnow so if it happens it will be when they think it will pay for itself at least. They cannot leverage the existing camera and move controllers so its going to cost more this time around to create and sell it.

I think its still up in the air for a PSVR2 happening. I think they are looking at some maths based on how many PS5s need to be sold to make the very low VR take up percent of those sales to balance out the cost of dev the hardware and paying for a game or two to be exclusive on ps5. Also the state of the VR market at the time, is it healthy , is it making enough money? 2023 is my guess, Sony are not in a position to make a huge loss on VR like they did on PSnow so if it happens it will be when they think it will pay for itself at least. They cannot leverage the existing camera and move controllers so its going to cost more this time around to create and sell it.

Totally agree with this, infact, I’ll go as far to say it’s a possbile end of generation if at all release.

Certainly looks like its going to be softly dropped.. either for good or for a Big Splash at a later point.

I'll probably put the money towards maybe a SSD upgrade than any PSVR 2

No nothing yet, the email said 3-6 working days from dispatch but no tracking so wouldn't be able to see where it could be.

My USB camera dongle for PS5 arrived today. Amusingly, the official adapter seems to have _less_ functionality that a (no brand) PS camera to USB adapter I bought from Ebay, which allows the camera to be plugged into a 4 way 10 Gbs 3.1 v2 adapter (to avoid having to use front ports if you have an external HD drive too). Try the same thing with the "official" adapter, and it tells you that you need to plug it straight in to a port at the back.... (clearly "coded in" limitation since the Ebay adapter works just fine).

My USB camera dongle for PS5 arrived today. Amusingly, the official adapter seems to have _less_ functionality that a (no brand) PS camera to USB adapter I bought from Ebay, which allows the camera to be plugged into a 4 way 10 Gbs 3.1 v2 adapter (to avoid having to use front ports if you have an external HD drive too). Try the same thing with the "official" adapter, and it tells you that you need to plug it straight in to a port at the back.... (clearly "coded in" limitation since the Ebay adapter works just fine).
Hi, Don't suppose you have links for that unoffical adaptor (and the hub) as want to avoid using the front ports as much as possible to decrease visual clutter?

Thanks so much.

Hi, Don't suppose you have links for that unoffical adaptor (and the hub) as want to avoid using the front ports as much as possible to decrease visual clutter?

Thanks so much.
Sure, here you go:

Amazon product ASIN B07FB94VJY
You may need one of these too:

Amazon product ASIN B07MRCZTD1

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom