PS5 UK Revision SKU - CFI-1116A

JiSingh1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have 2 PS5s currently in the household.

One is the CFI-1016A, launch version that everyone probably has.

However I also have a CFI-1116A, which I can find no mention of on the internet? Does anyone have an idea what the revision is between the two?

Closest I can find online is a mention of a CFI-1115A, regarding a Wi-Fi module change but nothing for what I have.

The box of the newer one does seem around 250-350g lighter, just need to find my proper scale instead of using a handheld luggage one, lol.

Literally the only mention I find on the net of the CFI-1116A is the reddit post I created a few days ago.

Thanks
Ji

The code is mentioned here on a EN-GB page along with other codes including: CFI-1016A / CFI-1016B / CFI-1116A / CFI-1116B

But nothing explaining the codes or how the internals differ.

ps5-playstation-5-heat-2.original.jpg

OK seems it has a smaller Heatsink and runs a bit warmer - its a cost saving revision.

it might not run warmer, that hasn't been proven yet.

and please do not spread misinformation and clickbait across avf.
all you're doing is fuelling the fire and helping this idiot make money

and please do not spread misinformation and clickbait across avf.
all you're doing is fuelling the fire and helping this idiot make money

Love that Austin Evan's bothers you so much you mention him across multiple threads.

yeah def needs more testing on the actual temps internally but its all fact otherwise, new smaller heat sync etc. So I think its early to call misinformation, why you so upset ? I think you might need to not click on Austins Videos from now on, he doesnt make you happy.

I looked at some similar exhaust thermals of PS5 and SeriesX from near the launch time of these consoles, it’s interesting.
The Series X exhaust was about 5/6 degrees hotter than the launch PS5 exhaust, now we all know the Series X is the more efficient console when it comes to cooling. So if you bring that forward to now, the new design PS5s exhaust is hotter than the Series X, that to me suggests warmer exhaust thermals equates to cooler internals?

Maybe I’m reading to much into this, it does need GamersNexus to investigate further to make some sense of all this, because you can be sure Sony won’t enlighten anybody.

As for YouTubers trying to make themselves look knowledgeable by pointing a smart phone at a consoles arse is laughable!

OK seems it has a smaller Heatsink and runs a bit warmer - its a cost saving revision.

I’m thinking the exact opposite, exhaust thermals mean nothing. Series X has higher exhaust thermals than the PS5 but we all know the Series X runs cooler.

The only thing i think we can take away is that the heatsink is now smaller. Personally i would prefer the older larger heatsink as it was obviously over engineered and the smaller one it has now will do the job.

The only thing i think we can take away is that the heatsink is now smaller. Personally i would prefer the older larger heatsink as it was obviously over engineered and the smaller one it has now will do the job.
I could be and quite possibly are completely wrong, but at a guess, I think by removing a load of that humongous heat sink, they’ve increased airflow, combined with the new fan design this thing may actually be running slightly cooler.

This is just me guessing, I’m no hardware engineer.

I could be and quite possibly are completely wrong, but at a guess, I think by removing a load of that humongous heat sink, they’ve increased airflow, combined with the new fan design this thing may actually be running slightly cooler.

This is just me guessing, I’m no hardware engineer.
the change in heatsink and the change in fan might not be related as the original console had a couple of different designs of fan

I don't think comparing two different consoles exhaust temp informs this much, its was more that two PS5's compared ran at different exhaust heat and the heat sink was different when opened, therefore things are working slightly differently in the new model - I suspect it will run a little hotter as its 300 gram less of metal and Sony has data to suggest this is OK and worth the saving as they were selling at a loss before.

Ultimately no one cares much as long as its quiet and it works fine - I suspect this is correct on the new version but it might run a touch hotter - give it a week or so and digital foundry or games nexus will do a test and the facts will be out.

NOTE -that fan isnt new I have seen both of those since 2020 - this is pick from dec 7th 2020. Those two PS5 just happened to have different fans.

1630344816360.png

Last edited:

Love that Austin Evan's bothers you so much you mention him across multiple threads.
Well the same person posted the same links across multiple threads. Spreading misinformation is not cool.
Whoever it is.
Colt Eastwood is another one along with reviewtechusa.

yeah def needs more testing on the actual temps internally but its all fact otherwise, new smaller heat sync etc. So I think its early to call misinformation, why you so upset ? I think you might need to not click on Austins Videos from now on, he doesnt make you happy.
I didn't.
I read the article about it on push square.
He says it's hotter yet doesn't test the temperature of the internals under load across different games compared to the old one.
He claims heat escaping is 3° hotter than previous. So says the new version gets hotter.
How does that even add up?
Maybe it's more efficient because it's been revised? He's just jumping to conclusions and people are taking it all in.
It's ridiculous.
I thought avf folks were better than this tbh.

I havent read that article yet, do you mean this one ? Maybe that why we are all confused as it not linked in any of the posts so far and we are talking about the video.

I think this is mostly about this

He claims heat escaping is 3° hotter than previous. So says the new version gets hotter.
How does that even add up?
So if the fan pushes air out of the system and you measure that air temp and its hotter one PS5 than the other on the same game, is the inside hotter one that one or colder or the same ?

There is a argument to say with the same airflow from the same size fan, if the heatsink is at a higher temp, the air passing over it is hence getting hotter and that is measured as it leaves the case resulting in hotter air measured. And if the heatsink is at a higher temp.... so is the thing under it.

I dont think AVF regulars have all gone dumb suddenly, I am not saying more testing isn't needed to see whats up but there is most definitely a world where its hotter inside that newer Playstation with the smaller heatsink, even if it has had some engineering improvements (which I cannot see as it look like the same number of heatpipes etc) it has the same fan size and case size but less heatsink area and not by a small amount.

I gotta say "the air is hotter therefore is moving more heat out and therefore the inside is cooler" has been mentioned in a few things I have seen but that's not how thermodynamics works in cases. It means its hotter inside to start with. The air is the last thing to get hot after the Chips/memory and then the heatsink.

Look that video and article about it are pretty rough back of the envelope "testing" at best but its not madness what there saying, same fan size, same case, same power going in, same heat produced, smaller heatsink by 25% approx.... I dont understand why you think this is ridiculous , I am not trying to be an a$$ here, hence I am showing my thinking and am happy to be proven wrong but at the moment I am happy with the results shown.

Also to reiterate this isnt going to make a difference to anything, Sony must think this is OK and any increase in temp is well within tolerances

Last edited:
don't bring them into this !
(insert pic of three black female singers for ess and gees)

The the reduced size of the heatsink is the bigger story than the 3 degrees for me
there's an article on EG by df but it's rubbish , not in depth at all.

there's an article on EG by df but it's rubbish , not in depth at all.
You should probably investigate the matter yourself at this point and report back to us, it seems you really aren’t overly impressed by any analysis of the new machine are you, whether it’s Mr Evans or Digital Foundry.

You should probably investigate the matter yourself at this point and report back to us, it seems you really aren’t overly impressed by any analysis of the new machine are you, whether it’s Mr Evans or Digital Foundry.
No need to be facetious.
They haven't done any kind of testing like they normally do, just kind of said, yeah it's different with a smaller heatsink, weighs less but seems OK.
Did you actually read it?

less heatsink made from more aluminium less copper yes im sure it will work ok but i would prefer they had kept it the way it was

No need to be facetious.
They haven't done any kind of testing like they normally do, just kind of said, yeah it's different with a smaller heatsink, weighs less but seems OK.
Did you actually read it?
Of course, which is why I was surprised you griped about it.

Article clearly states at the start it was a 'first impressions' piece, simply because at that point they had received the machine mere hours ago. Then at the end he mentioned a more thorough article would be forthcoming.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom