PS5 Tv: LG or Philips

Ferran

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm going to buy a new TV this next Christmas and I'm torn between the LG CX or the Philips 805, both 55"

For the PS5 I need a TV that supports variable frame rate but I don't need it to support 4K/120fps as I don't thing the console will reach that any time soon.

What I like from the LG is that is HDMI 2.1 and reviews are good.

What I like from the Philips is the Ambilight (I have something similar and I'm in love with it) and I've read that the peak brightness is very good.

Which one would you go for? Maybe another brand?

Thank you all!

No contest for me get the LG. You can buy bias lighting.

All the OLEDs use the same panel made by LG, so will be remarkably similar. Peak brightness between one OLED and another unnoticeable. LGs strength is in its smart TV and future proof connectivity, because of HDMI VRR it will have better motion in games.

On the other hand Philips strength lays with motion when watching video content, and would be a favourite to someone who ranks sport more important than video games.

With the new consoles, its clear LG are the winners. Its not just about pushing 120fps, but about HDMI 2.1 VRR. And if you want to enjoy the TV refreshing at the exact same rate as the game, you need a TV that supports that feature. That is the case if the TV is limited to 30fps, 60fps or anything inbetween.

Personally i've had bad experiences with Phillips Tvs so between these to i'd always go for LG.

Got an LG currently, and it's pretty perfect haven't had any issues with it in about 2 years of owning it.

As dodge said above, LG also focused heavily on higher FPS values, access to HDMI 2.1 etc. so it's just the perfect choice at the moment.

Another plus is obviously the price which is often fairly good on LG televisions..

For the PS5 I need a TV that supports variable frame rate but I don't need it to support 4K/120fps as I don't thing the console will reach that any time soon.

FYI VRR without 120hz is not that much use.

If a TV like the LG has a 40-120hz VRR range that full range is only usable with 120hz output.

At 60hz output the range is limited to 40-60Hz.

Also technologies like LFC (low frame rate compensation) which the CX supports do not work at 60Hz output, they need 120hz to work were they can double/triple frames below the 40Hz limit putting them into the 40-120hz range, so you at least get some stutter removal on low FPS games.

Since your going with the LG you will want that 120hz output even if 120FPS games are rare.

@next010 what I think is going to happen is that the vast majority of the 4K games are going to run at 30fps, then further down the line some games will start using 4k 60fps and I do not believe that any game will use 4k 120fps. I might be wrong but I don't believe that the PS5 is that much powerful than the PS4 to support that increase of pixels.

Are you pointing out that the Philips might do just fine. I've read that the next Philips OLED+ 935 image is very good and punchy.

Someone mentioned before and yup I don't watch sports. Mainly movies on Netflix / Prime (no bluerays) and console...

Yeah from what I've seen the majority of the PS5 line up is 30FPS but a number of them do have 60FPS modes with trade off in graphics/resolutions to make it work.

For OLED in particular 60FPS is more preferable, low FPS can cause some stutter though LFC can take care of that.

There are 1-2 120FPS games on PS5 like Dirt 5, I think another racing game will also offer 120.

You're forgetting the ultimate challenge in 120 fps gaming.

Minecraft. :p

You want HDMI 2.1 VRR because even with a limited range of 40-120hz you get LFC at lower frame rates. This is not true with Samsung models running 60hz panels as like computer monitors with a low peak refresh rate, they don't do LFC.

I believe games will be similar to how they currently are, some will have a performance mode with cut down resolution/textures to run at a higher frame rate. In some if you want best graphics you'll be limited to 30fps. But the consoles are more powerful so 60fps will be more common.

But with VRR variable frame rate really will have its uses when developers use it, it means they can make the games so sometimes they render at 100fps, and sometimes 30 depending on the content. They will probably also aim for a 40fps min frame rate for VRR.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom