PS5 Trouble Shooting Thread

Doctor Hades

To cut a long story short (thanks Spandau Ballet!), my original PS4 Pro 4 TB external hard drive failed while copying new content to it while connected to the PS5. Luckily, I had a spare green 4 TB Xbox-branded drive from my Xbox One X so I now use that.

One of the issues that occurred when I lost on the PS4 games from my other drive though is that the game tiles in the library would obviously report an error while trying to run the game (since they were no longer installed). However, inserting the disc does not auto-install the game again and for the downloadable content the Download option is missing.

In the end, I had to go through 150+ games and manually delete all of them, which fixed the disc auto-install and missing Download options. Problem is that while the games show with their correct picture tiles in the My Collection etc tabs, they show with generic grey tiles on the Home screen. Also, these generic tiles supersede any games you are currently playing (these normally show on the far left as the second tile with the Store being the first). The Store was missing (and was not showing in My Collection either) as was the tile for the current game I was playing. No amount of restarting or turning off the console would clear them up.

Seems the only way to clear them is to reinstall games. I am now at a point where the Store icon is fifth from the right and four correct games tiles are now showing! What a ridiculous bug. Given how premium the PS5's UI looks, this kind of thing sticks out like a sore thumb and has been driving me mad for the past few days. I wanted to avoid reinstalling a large number of games again and only install PS4 games as I play them from discs but in order to fix this grey tile issue I am having to install around a dozen games just to clear them from the Home screen!

P.S. My advice to anyone installing lots of PS4 content to an external drive... do not do this while you are playing games as it seems to cause issues. I've had the console twice shutdown while playing games from the internal SSD while stuff has been installing from disc and patches downloading in the background. The first time was due to a faulty external drive but the second time was while playing Spider-Man Remastered while a game was installing on the new external drive.

Tolq

Distinguished Member
Re: Crashes while installing/downloading games to external storage, seems like quite a few people are experiencing bugs:

caz2005

I'm beginning to think that the noise coming from my PS5 is the same as in these videos. Seems like a simple fix if it's the case as you don't need to peel off the warranty sticker.

Barry_

Distinguished Member
I'm beginning to think that the noise coming from my PS5 is the same as in these videos. Seems like a simple fix if it's the case as you don't need to peel off the warranty sticker.

Two videos with different issues there. I doubt there will be many with a random unstuck sticker (no harm in checking) coil whine on the other hand... Depends on how bad it is I suppose.. current shortages u might be without for a few months

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
When you say "dont use a HDD" what about SSD ?
i have 500gb SSD external drive with games on and their all play fine
and HCEC works fine too , power on the PS5 and the tv changes channel just fine ...

Sorry should put a caveat..that not everyone will need to do any of these things, only people experiencing issues. It might help them

Carl80

I get the repair external storage if I come on from rest mode. I’m sure I’ve had it from a cold boot, but worked fine today, so using rest mode less until they patch it.

Mine has shut down on it’s own a couple of times and I’ve had to power it back on but I think it’s been while I’ve been loading a disc on there, I’ve switched rest mode off now , could it be a problem with the hard drive? I keep getting that message about the storage and to report it or not , only twice.

caz2005

Two videos with different issues there. I doubt there will be many with a random unstuck sticker (no harm in checking) coil whine on the other hand... Depends on how bad it is I suppose.. current shortages u might be without for a few months
I'm pretty sure that they're both the same issue. Something lost in translation I think in the first video but it's obviously the same sticker that the second video is on about.

Barry_

Distinguished Member
I'm pretty sure that they're both the same issue. Something lost in translation I think in the first video but it's obviously the same sticker that the second video is on about.

Better check the 2nd video u posted then mate as it's all about coil whine, nothing to do with a sticker lol

caz2005

Better check the 2nd video u posted then mate as it's all about coil whine, nothing to do with a sticker lol
Lol YouTube must have rolled on to the next video before I copied the link! It was supposed to be this one...

stoomc

Hoping someone can help - my PS5 download speed since yesterday has slowed right down to almost a halt. I have tried turning it on and off numerous times, deleting the WiFi settings and starting again, but no joy.

I haven’t moved it since I got it on launch and for the past week there was no issues, everything was downloading really quickly, so it’s not a placement issue.
Everything else - phones, tablets, laptops etc are running fine with full download speeds.

Any help/ advise would be much appreciated!

marcstang

Second crash on Miles Morales today. Was hoping the latest updates would have solved these issues. Controller disconnected and console became unresponsive. Had to pull the plug in the end and reboot. Wonder how long it will be until all these issues are ironed out. Always have it in the back of my head now whether the console will crash on me.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom