PS5 Trouble Shooting Thread

redwinnie

Daft question. How do you close an application/game like you did on the PS4? Does it just do it in the background when you laid something else?

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Daft question. How do you close an application/game like you did on the PS4? Does it just do it in the background when you laid something else?
Long press on the PS button then while hovering the game or app press the options button - this gives you the option to close the game/app.

chris1976

My only thought is I might have done something daft regarding the controller software update when I first booted as I was semi-wrestling with my cat at the time, as he is prone to sitting on anything which has my attention!
At least your cat didn’t bite the top of your controller stick before you’d even had a chance to hold the bloody thing, unlike my staffy😡😂

caz2005

Well, I'd say mine is far from the "whisper quiet" models all the youtubers got sent.

Even making an audible humming noise in rest mode. I'm positive there's a sort of tick coming from the disc drive too like it's trying to read. I have no disc inserted though.

kas206

I received my PS5 along with COD and have been getting constant crashing. Seems to play ok for a while then crashes and reboots and continues to repair the PS5 hard drive. It happened 4 times yesterday so I gave up. It also wouldn't load the second chapter of COD saying that's it's not available with a lock icon next to it. Not a good start from Sony I must say. Hopefully its software related and will be fixed in a future update.

caz2005

Noise is considerably less so in a vertical position (Funny how my PS4 Pro was much quieter flat than vertical) but I tell ya, this design is going to be horrific for dust. Not only that, any attempt to clean is going to cause a ton of micro-scratches on the shiny black plastic!

rehmanmohamed

I received my PS5 along with COD and have been getting constant crashing. Seems to play ok for a while then crashes and reboots and continues to repair the PS5 hard drive. It happened 4 times yesterday so I gave up. It also wouldn't load the second chapter of COD saying that's it's not available with a lock icon next to it. Not a good start from Sony I must say. Hopefully its software related and will be fixed in a future update.
If you get padlocks next to games, you need to restore licences.

I've had a couple of crashes and this can corrupt the database and game licences

Do you have an external drive attached?

I was repeatedly getting freezes and crashes with my external SSD attached, but its been fine since I detached it (touch wood)

The other thing to consider is whether you have been using rest mode.

There are numerous reports of issues with external drives and rest mode.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
The controller which came in the box appears to be faulty. It simply won’t wake when I push the PS button. I’ve tried hard reset and system restore etc. to no avail. Posting this on the off chance I’ve missed a trick?

Luckily, I bought a second controller which works beautifully, so not all bad. Loving Astro’s playroom.
BY hard reset and system restore are you talking about the console? If yes then have you tried putting a pin in the reset hole at the back of the controller?

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
My receiver keeps turning off at random when I’m playing Cold War. It doesn’t happen with Astro‘s Playroom at all.

legend_of_chaos

I personally think both Sony and Microsoft should have waited till early next year to launch, it's blatantly obvious these have been rushed to market for the holiday season, im pretty annoyed that I've had all of Sony's consoles and never had one issue, call me lucky but I have had none, had my PS5 for one day and I have had system rebuild database a few times and game crashes, I've also read there are literally thousands of people experiencing the same and some even worse having had faulty GPU's, bricked systems, and faulty blu ray drives, now I know your going to get a yield with everything that's made in these kind of numbers but this is starting to look like a possible red ring of death scenario, if they can't sort out most of these issues with firmware updates I think there will be a massive amount of consoles being replaced, what do you guys think, am I overreacting or are some of you getting the same vibes as me.

monkey business

Well, I'd say mine is far from the "whisper quiet" models all the youtubers got sent.

Even making an audible humming noise in rest mode. I'm positive there's a sort of tick coming from the disc drive too like it's trying to read. I have no disc inserted though.

jimmyboy1975

I can't get my PS5 to appear on my HDMI list on my LG tv. It's plugged into my Denon amp. It switches to hdmi2 when I power up the PS5 but it wakes up my PS4, so I have to press the PS5 source button on my Denon everytime. Have tried PS5 with HDMI link on and off, makes no difference.
Any advice from anyone?

Chekovs Gun

Standard Member
BY hard reset and system restore are you talking about the console? If yes then have you tried putting a pin in the reset hole at the back of the controller?
Sadly yes, and it still won’t wake.

On the bright side I’ve had absolutely no other problems so not too annoyed. Only issue is Sony’s support line is impossible to reach. A live chat option would be useful!

Carl80

I’ve just subscribed to PS now and it keeps on saying I can’t stream any game, tried a WiFi and Wired connection, I’ve got home plugs and fast broadband, I’ve had the PS5 connected for hours and can’t play any game on it ! it is loading the disc of call of duty black ops as well, could that be why I can’t stream on ps now ? Or is it better to DL them anyway?

I keep on getting this message- Your internet connection cannot support a gameplay stream right now, try shutting down anything that might be using up your bandwidth.

Last edited:

Thumpermawer

Anyone had an issue getting 5.1 from a PS5 to an amp via TV ARC?

My amp is fairly old (Marantz SR 5008) and won't handle much in the way of 4k or HDR, so 4k sources connect to TV (LG OLED B7) and send audio to amp. If I set the PS5 to output 5.1 I have three format options - PCM, DD & DTS. If I choose PCM I only get stereo (which the amp can simulate pro-logic etc from - this is garbage), and if I choose DD or DTS I get about a half second delay (this is also garbage) that can't be fixed with delay settings.

For movies I can set it to DD and have no issues by adjusting the delay, but for gaming neither choice (Stereo only or 5.1 with a half second sound delay) is acceptable long term. Currently using stereo as the delay in game is head wrecking, but it's annoying as hell when you are killed from behind in Demon's Souls because you can't hear them coming!!

I'd been looking at replacing the amp in the run up to the new console but with the issues with early 2.1 HDMI amps I've put this off till next year at the earliest - but having the video and audio going to the amp would fix. Feels like taking a hammer to crack a nut though.

Brummy1875

Just had a nightmare the ps5 wouldn’t pull the update for black ops, so deleted then it wouldn’t reinstall causing me to have to reset and reinstall everything it’s still downloading, and I’m scared to put it in test mode as I’ve heard there’s issues, hate being a beta tester haha!

ffcraig

Novice Member
Has anyone else had this. Playing fifa21 and it was all fine then yesterday all of a sudden on the menu screen in the background loads of flashing neon lines. It only happens on fifa21 and only in the menus.

ffcraig

Novice Member
Just had a nightmare the ps5 wouldn’t pull the update for black ops, so deleted then it wouldn’t reinstall causing me to have to reset and reinstall everything it’s still downloading, and I’m scared to put it in test mode as I’ve heard there’s issues, hate being a beta tester haha!
Have you had any issues with fifa 21 if you play it my lad has started getting flashing neon lines in the menus

Brummy1875

Have you had any issues with fifa 21 if you play it my lad has started getting flashing neon lines in the menus
Don’t play fifa sorry, my issues seem to have been resolved it was the ps5 not downloading the game update for some reason.

TUBBST4R

I had the problem with installed games deleting themselves. I reinstalled Sackboy 3 times but then came across advice from a user on Twitter and since I followed his advice I've not had the issue again *fingers crossed*

When you insert the disk it will give you an option to copy, don't do or select anything, just leave it be for a few moments and it will start doing its own thing and install the game. Since doing this Sackboy says 'play' rather than 'view product'

I have had my console power itself off for no reason twice and the only way I can get it back on is by holding the power button in. Once it comes on it goes through the motions of wanting to repair the external drive I have attached. Fingers crossed it's all software related issues that eventually get ironed out, I'm even tempted to unplug my external HDD until we have some sort of response or acknowledgement from Sony. I have to agree with the point made that these consoles have been rushed out to hit a deadline so that no platform starts on the backfoot from the other and whilst its nice to have in our possession I think consumers need to be put before deadlines. It's bad enough when games are rushed out to hit deadlines but consoles in excess of £400 need to be better than this. I commend them for their efforts but they need to be working around the clock now and keeping us informed of fixes incoming.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
I get the repair external storage if I come on from rest mode. I’m sure I’ve had it from a cold boot, but worked fine today, so using rest mode less until they patch it.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
I had one issue when the PS5 went into rest mode out of lack of usage. It basically wouldn’t let me turn it back on with the controller as the battery was flat so had to press the power button on the console which brought up the repair page. Just happened one time.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
The general rules ive picked up the past few days to best avoid issues ( not guaranteed )

Avoid rest mode ( and turn off all rest modes in the set up menus )
Dont press copy, let the game self install
Don't connect a HDD
Turn off HCec - ( were the hdmi turns off and on your tv and other products found in the set up menus )

sykotik

Distinguished Member
When you say "dont use a HDD" what about SSD ?
i have 500gb SSD external drive with games on and their all play fine
and HCEC works fine too , power on the PS5 and the tv changes channel just fine ...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett