PS5 software glitch, anyone else.

Darkwood

I am downloading Red Dead Redemption II and tried to run it before download complete as some games have this option, however it won't let you play until full download is done, the problem is the PS5 locks on to this game and won't allow you to exit it, I had this on another installed game and found you can open option up and close game and carry on surfing the other icons after, unfortunately because this download isn't complete it is now locked on this game and there is no close game options so my thumb controls don't allow me to choose other options.
I find powering the PS5 down into a rest mode cures this but surely this shouldn't be the case.

I came on here because Playstation support is a joke and it take you into circles of options that all avoid you been able to chat to someone or email your issue, my issue fits nothing it offers and it just circles me back.

I have found it also can occur on any game but like I said before you can hit the options button and close game to remove the issue, this is not ideal for games where they are in a saved progress state like Returnal because closing the game like that wipes you progress in that section of the game. Surely this is not how it should be and to have to put the PS5 in rest mode to unlock your UI is a software issue?

Ultrasonic

Hmmm... that's not very helpful. I've always chosen to wait for a full install to complete before trying to play a game myself though and so have no experience to compare.

Darkwood

It does it to installed games too, it locks onto the game and sometimes won't allow you to move away from it, it has to be a software UI issue, like I said some games have loading markers where you can start the game and play long before the whole game has downloaded so this is normal to try.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Just to confirm, are you hitting the PS button at any point? I've not had any issues using the UI and playing other games while downloading in the background.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
I’d wipe everything from the console and restore it to factory settings if it’s doing weird stuff like that, then just add two or three games and see if it’s still doing weird stuff like that.

Failing that a future OS update would likely fix it at some stage, although you are well within your rights to send it off to Sony if it’s not working correctly.

Ultrasonic

Just to confirm, are you hitting the PS button at any point? I've not had any issues using the UI and playing other games while downloading in the background.

Note that the point here was to actually play the partially downloaded game, not just playing any other game whilst a download is happening in the background. I'm sure we've all done the latter lots without issues.

Darkwood

The PS button is the only thing that will work sometimes so at least I can log out and reboot the PS5.

Darkwood

I’d wipe everything from the console and restore it to factory settings if it’s doing weird stuff like that, then just add two or three games and see if it’s still doing weird stuff like that.

Failing that a future OS update would likely fix it at some stage, although you are well within your rights to send it off to Sony if it’s not working correctly.
I suspect it is a software issue and as it is occasional I can deal with the inconvenience for the moment, its taken 7 months to get the bloody thing, the last thing I want to do is send the bugger back off to Sony.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom