PS5 refuses to connect to Wi-Fi at exactly 2AM every day

sugarpixel

I’m not 100% sure what time it comes back on since I usually have switched to my phone hotspot—which my PS5 will connect to for some reason. All other devices in my house can connect to the router but my PS5. It just started happening recently. Yes I have tried restarting my router and yes I have updated my PS5. The PS5 can see and allegedly connect to the Wi-Fi network I’m trying to use but it can’t obtain the IP address. I also tried inserting the IP address and all the other things manually, and then it said it couldn’t connect to the internet.

I just find this issue especially weird because it disconnects at exactly 2AM every single day and lasts for a long time until sometime in the morning. Any ideas on how to fix?

NatTheGooner

I’m not 100% sure what time it comes back on since I usually have switched to my phone hotspot—which my PS5 will connect to for some reason. All other devices in my house can connect to the router but my PS5. It just started happening recently. Yes I have tried restarting my router and yes I have updated my PS5. The PS5 can see and allegedly connect to the Wi-Fi network I’m trying to use but it can’t obtain the IP address. I also tried inserting the IP address and all the other things manually, and then it said it couldn’t connect to the internet.

I just find this issue especially weird because it disconnects at exactly 2AM every single day and lasts for a long time until sometime in the morning. Any ideas on how to fix?
That’s nuts. Have you tried splitting the WiFi networks and connecting to the 5ghz one.
If you can’t hard wire directly it you could try power line plugs.
Does the router have parental control restrictions on gaming after 2am maybe?

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
How do you know it’s exactly 2am are you on at the time and do you lose connectivity?

Who is your ISP? Do you have any additional wireless access points? What router is it?

I would lose connection to one of my access points at 12:30am, turns it was doing a software update/maintenance at that time.

What’s the dhcp lease time?

sugarpixel

That’s nuts. Have you tried splitting the WiFi networks and connecting to the 5ghz one.
If you can’t hard wire directly it you could try power line plugs.
Does the router have parental control restrictions on gaming after 2am maybe?
My Wi-Fi is split and I have tried connecting to both to no avail. I doubt extending the signal further would help in this situation unfortunately.

I thought there was no way it could be parental controls but you may be onto something. I checked to see if my other gaming consoles could connect to the internet, and none of them can after 2am! But things like my iPad, phone, and computer can connect to the internet just fine.

Unfortunately I checked to see if parental controls got turned on somehow on my ISP, but I don’t see that it has. I also don’t even know how you’d go about blocking only gaming consoles from the internet. I thought you could only block sites and tv channels and what not.

It’s not parental controls through my actual consoles either because why would they all have the same issue despite being from totally different companies? And I’m the account owner for all of them, I don’t have a parent controlling anything. The plot thickens, I guess…

Last edited:

sugarpixel

How do you know it’s exactly 2am are you on at the time and do you lose connectivity?

Who is your ISP? Do you have any additional wireless access points? What router is it?

I would lose connection to one of my access points at 12:30am, turns it was doing a software update/maintenance at that time.

What’s the dhcp lease time?
I know because I am awake each night when it cuts off; night owl here, haha.

My ISP is Xfinity, and I do have additional access points, but neither of them work. I think the modem is “xFi”? My account says it’s from “ARRIS Group” and is a “Voice and Data Modem”.

I’ve since learned that it’s not just my PS5 but ALL my gaming consoles that lose connection together. So I’d doubt my Nintendo Switch and PS5 are going into update mode at the exact same time every night, but who knows. I would think my PS5 would give me a notification for it if it was.

The DHCP lease time is 48 hours I believe. Ironically the timestamp is around 2am for when the the lease is obtained and when it expires. I’ll lose connection at exactly 2am on the dot every single night though.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately I checked to see if parental controls got turned on somehow on my ISP, but I don’t see that it has. I also don’t even know how you’d go about blocking only gaming consoles from the internet. I thought you could only block sites and tv channels and what not.
You can block via IP ir MAC address or even connection type, and consoles use P2P often.

The issue seems to point to a router / ISP issue. Would be worth posting exact router model / details, as this way people can advise on things to look at as we would be able to look up the router and what settings are available. Also provide some extra info on how your network is setup, e.g. how are IP addresses assigned etc.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I know because I am awake each night when it cuts off; night owl here, haha.

My ISP is Xfinity, and I do have additional access points, but neither of them work. I think the modem is “xFi”? My account says it’s from “ARRIS Group” and is a “Voice and Data Modem”.

I’ve since learned that it’s not just my PS5 but ALL my gaming consoles that lose connection together. So I’d doubt my Nintendo Switch and PS5 are going into update mode at the exact same time every night, but who knows. I would think my PS5 would give me a notification for it if it was.

The DHCP lease time is 48 hours I believe. Ironically the timestamp is around 2am for when the the lease is obtained and when it expires. I’ll lose connection at exactly 2am on the dot every single night though.

Stranger and stranger.

I am not sure it is a DHCP issue as it would have tried to renew the DHCP lease before the 48 hours is up. If it doesn't get one on the first try, then it will keep having a go at doing so and not just release the IP address and leave you with no connection.

To be clear it was the access point\router that was doing an update at that time rather than individual devices so they just saw it as a loss of connection.

Agree with @TheHighFlyingBirds that it is more likely to be a router\ISP issue or an issue with your network configuration.

What's somewhat concerning is that even with a manual IP address the PS5 does not work.

You should only need to set, the IP address, the subnet mask, gateway and DNS server. If that does not work then something is up

It should be along the lines of 192.168.0.20, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.0.1 and use Google 8.8.8.8

That assumes your router is on the 192.168.0.x network with an IP of 192.168.0.1 itself. You would need to check what these are.

Also are the additional access points plugged in as they could possibly interfere.

A possible cause could be if there is a 2am maintenance reset\blip of the router. Then the PS5 would try and connect to another available access point, as they are not working correctly it would get a network connection but no way of obtaining an IP address. It would not reconnect to the normal router without a restart of the PS5.

Wing80surfer

Could be interference caused by something that activates/turns on at the same time each day (not necessarily in your household). Have you tried changing to a different wifi channel in your router settings?

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Could be interference caused by something that activates/turns on at the same time each day (not necessarily in your household). Have you tried changing to a different wifi channel in your router settings?
But then why would other devices (non-consoles) still work & go online fine during that time?

Wing80surfer

But then why would other devices (non-consoles) still work & go online fine during that time?
Yeah I know, it's still an odd one but I've been told that interference can have weird and unexpected consequences. No harm in making an attempt on the wifi channels, if it doesn't work nothing lost :)

sugarpixel

So everyone! The issue is fixed, but the circumstances are still really, really strange. Apparently someone in my family set a timer for the Wi-Fi to shut off from 2am-6am since they thought no one would be using it during those hours, but this was many months ago. I have no idea why it only activated now, and why it only affected gaming consoles. But the restriction has since been lifted, and I can continue to use Wi-Fi on my consoles after 2am! But as I said I still think the situation is really freaking weird lol.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
So everyone! The issue is fixed, but the circumstances are still really, really strange. Apparently someone in my family set a timer for the Wi-Fi to shut off from 2am-6am since they thought no one would be using it during those hours, but this was many months ago. I have no idea why it only activated now, and why it only affected gaming consoles. But the restriction has since been lifted, and I can continue to use Wi-Fi on my consoles after 2am! But as I said I still think the situation is really freaking weird lol.

Doh, glad you got sorted.

Do you still have another broken WiFi access point turned on though as that would explain why it would appear connected to WiFi when the timed one switched off but couldn't access the Internet until you rebooted? If that's the case presumably that one is further away from the consoles, hence why a reboot in the morning would connect to the nearest one (timed one back on) and work ok.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
You can get various tools for your phone to scan and they will show if there are more than one access points with the same SSID.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom